Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geography of the Pride Lands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! The ultimate Hell!!!!

I think that once you're happy with the map and eveything is where it should be, you should make a 3D paper machet (sp?) version!!!! That would be cool!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Naline
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! The ultimate Hell!!!!

I think that once you're happy with the map and eveything is where it should be, you should make a 3D paper machet (sp?) version!!!! That would be cool!!!!
    As much as I'd like to consider myself an artist in all mediums ... , that would probably collapse in on itself after 30 minutes. Good idea, though. The map only has locations but no actual physical features at the moment.

That reminds me. There is that computer-generated fly by of the Pride Lands in the intro of TLK:SE. I wonder what can be gained from watching that over and over. (That would be hard, considering it's in the menu screen after 10 minutes of previews.)

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry Darkfuzzy I have been busy so I haven't think thoes things like I say... but tommorrow I got time more then I wish so I gonna draw map for my sight

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya know i could use a map for a game im making.. perhaps i will draw one out soon.. perhaps not...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaLKD
    Ya know i could use a map for a game im making.. perhaps i will draw one out soon.. perhaps not...
    It's all yours. I think my fan-fiction's gone the way of the mastadon, unfortunately (I'll pick it up later ... but right now I've got too much going on.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Make someone do It for you...with all that coding...phew...

Not me tho because I suck at making maps...I think :E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Woes of Folly
    It's all yours. I think my fan-fiction's gone the way of the mastadon, unfortunately (I'll pick it up later ... but right now I've got too much going on.)
    *bows* Thank you sir, it shall be put to good use combine with STM's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great work, Woes of Folly. Now my two cents :

Since the elephant graveyard is SOUTHEAST to Pride Rock, the gorge must be (approx.) just SOUTH of Pride Rock, and the jungle should be somewhere in the SOUTHEASTERN direction from PR. (though probably quite distant).
    Notice that when the hyenas are chasing simba after the stampeade, he gets out of the thorns and runs to the setting sun. Therefore, both the desert and the jungle must be WEST of the pride lands.

*. In TLK Simba asks, "What about that shadowy place?" referring to the elephant graveyard. He is pointing to the right. Therefore, the elephant graveyard must be SOUTHEAST of Pride Rock.
    There is an evident movie mistake here. Scar refers to the Elephant Graveyard as "the place beyond our northern border". But when Simba, Nala, Mufasa and Zazu are returning from the Elephant graveyard, you can see the glow of the sunset to their LEFT, meaning they are heading NORTH. And there is no doubt the Pride Rock is heading east, and your reasoning is true. Therfore, the northern border is actually the southern border. :P

- Is the gorge/canyon somehow a distant relative of the river? Do they merge at some point?
    The things that I deduced about the canyon:
    -it was, at one point, a river bed (just look at the ground - shaped by water)
    -it is dried up for a LONG time (trees at the bottom)
    -it is running from west to east, but probably it bends at some point (watch the sunlight during the stampeade - it is afternoon, so the sun is on the west. The western wall of the gorge is dark, and the eastern illuminated. So it runs in the north - south line. However, when we first see it - right after "Be prepared" ends - watch the shadows. It's running west-east now! And, as I mentioned before Simba runs to the setting sun after Mufasa's death. So the mouth of the gorge heads west.
    -it ends with a cliff. There was probably a waterfall there at some point - and then the river flew to the jungle. Maybe the river that now flows through Pride Land met that other river there, and then the two rivers ran parallely.

Other:

Watch the "Everything the light touches" scene. Right at the moment Simba says "and this will all be mine?" (or sth like that) there is a shot of the scenery below - and there's a lake just in front of them. It's too far from the river to be its part. Maybe this is the water hole?

And the river is called Zuberi, as "The Tale of Two Brothers" says. It is not too reliable source, but I think we can trust it on that one. It a) runs south of Pride Rock, then turns behind it, and runs north of it, or b) there is another river to the northeast. Watch the "We're all connected in the CoL" dialogue - the river is to the northeast of PR. It's pretty complicated...

Ok, I hope I made sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ummm, kinda, it is pretty complicated like you said!!!

Someone should get some really good CAD software or something and make a 3D model of the pridelands so you can fly through and see all the features and stuff!!! Then we could add all this stuff in, and everybodies input and hopefully get to a point where it is as correct as it possibly could be?!?!?!?!

Just an idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, here's a very quick Paint sketch of my theory:

(Zuberi circles the Pride Rock here, as thinking more about it, it'shard to imagie that it flows through the desert. Perhaps both the gorge and the desert dried during some drought a long time ago)

Oh, and keep in mind that I haven't watched TLK 1 1/2, so feel free to correct me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like your version shusky, makes more sense to me. This map will be very helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, that version checks out slightly more accurately with me.

On the original one, it has the watering hole fairly close to Pride Rock, and to its West, I think, right? But the elephant graveyard is back East, I'm fairly certain....wouldn't that mean that Simba and Nala ditched Zazu, crossed back past Pride Rock to get to the EG? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me...but whatever, I don't know. I do think the second one makes more sense. However, it doesn't have the meerkat colony, so get cracking and rent that video *Grin* hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    According to TLK 1 1/2.. replace where you have the jungle right now with the meerkat colony. Right.. wrong? I don't know.. don't listen to me people!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think the meerkat colony was there.
    But then the jungle would be... further out that direction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, it would be a bit south to the gorge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, got it
    opposite direction of the meerkat colony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay this isn't completely correct. Because i can't understand where that river was in LK2, but anyway.. besides that.. it should be correct. here's my version of the map:

Light Green = Pridelands
    Light Gray = Outlands
    Dark Gray = Elephant Graveyard
    Dark Green = Jungle
    Orange = Desert

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If we count TLK 3 it should go like that, but we know it not go like that

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did TLK 3 totally change the map? :horror:

Anyway, I thougt some more about the geography... and here's something interesting: the Outlands are nowhere near the Elephant Graveyard. As we already said, graveyard is to the SE of Pride Rock. Now watch the moment in Simba's Pride when Simba, Kiara and the lionesses are returning from the first confrontation with Zira - the PR can be seen from the behind - so they are returning from the west. Then, when Zira returns and Nuka greets her, the sun is behind Nuka and Zira comes from the direction of the screen - from east.

This actually makes perfect sense. The Outlands are probably just the edge of the Desert. And it's hard to imagine Zira and Shenzi living in peace right next to each other after Scar's death.

I love thinking too hard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i hate puzzles