Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Taka versus Scar

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaLKD
    I'll bet ruska hasn't read the book?
    I guess so too

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaLKD
    Makes better sense as he was like the only one with out a swahili type name...
    He and Ed. Are there any theories about Ed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey ppl! k da taka thin rite see taka is scar`s real actual name because of some incident he got a scar therefore he is called scar what waz da incident we shall never know some say his dad wacked him some say he fought with mufasa some say he got it while huntin on his own!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heck of a necro, this is. Incidentially, Sanri, I can just manage to stumble through the meaning of your post. Consider using proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization in future posts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah Sanri that was really hard reading your post.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I understand that Taka is the widely accepted name for Scar before his, well... Scar. But personally I prefer scar, for this reason.

Yes, Disney has released a lot of different little stories and different things about the ancestory and history of the pride. But I like to see TLK from the point of view of the movie. It just seems that a lot of this stuff was mainly created because of the endless pestering of the fans. Cause I mean honestly, do you really think the writers considered who the parents of Mufasa and Scar, etc should be?

I highly doubt it, but the fan base wanted answers to everything, every conceivable plot hole, so all these things were created as merchandise to answer these nagging questions. I understand that they are disney products, but I don't hold them to the same level as the movies, as I think they were quickly produced to appease the masses. I have nothing against Taka, but I still view him as scar, through and through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kintaru...you took the words right out of my mouth. That's my view as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, Disney has released a lot of different little stories and different things about the ancestory and history of the pride. But I like to see TLK from the point of view of the movie. It just seems that a lot of this stuff was mainly created because of the endless pestering of the fans. Cause I mean honestly, do you really think the writers considered who the parents of Mufasa and Scar, etc should be?

To be fair, somebody ultimately did. The SNA books even give us Mufasa and Scar's grandfather - Mohatu (sp?). Mind you, alot of TLK2 knocks the books right out of the water in terms of canon...

Although I agree that it really shouldn't be an issue of conflict. If you're writing fanfiction that requires a reference, it definitely provides a decent base, but all the same, it's an obscure enough source that most people really won't care if you run right over it with your own ideas. Taka, in itself, is only really well known because of the efforts of the widely read John Burkitt and company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, so maybe he was called Taka before he obtained his scar, but I just call him Scar as I don't really think of him outside the world of the first lion king movie.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And that's fine. I think TLK fans should probably handle these added sources the way Star Wars fans do with the expanded universe - although the novels and comics written by other authors add some fascinating characteristics to the universe, the movies ultimately remain the highest form of canon and are given foremost precedence in discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scar's not supposed to have a background because yanno, Disney just made him evil. You're supposed to accept it. Having a background, you might sympathize with him and lord knows they don't want that. *sarcasm off* :P
    I prefer Scar. Whatever messed him up happened when he had his 'other name' I'm sure. .:cuddles with him and purrs:.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think the concern is as much about feeling sympathy for Scar as much as confusion over what's considered canon. In my experience in situations like this - i.e. Star Wars - it's easier just to keep the movies as the highest canon, with all others coming after it.

And, if anything, the books do less to dispel the idea of Scar's evil than the books do. There's a story of how the old boy got his scar, and, well, he's still a jerk in it, even when they're younger. I was willing to give the guy the benefit of some doubt regarding his youth thanks to what TLKoB did with his character, but the books seem to knock that out of the water.

Regardless, I can understand why some people take issue with the books. It's not so much that they don't appreciate the effort taken to reveal some of Scar's past, as much as the idea that some fans take it and run with it, completely destroying certain characteristics of his persona. I mean, Scar having some reason for what he did is one thing. Turning Scar into a sympathy case is quite another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    he was named Taka from his father and is father never really liked him.. and then he got his scar.. so he named him self scar!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i am new.. are you guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yep.. all alone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Do not double post, please.

It may take a while to get responses in some topics. You must be patient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    make me be patient! :me too:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    :metoo:*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey stop double posting >_> there is something called the "Edit button' If you made a mistake then use the edit button to edit your mistake :P

~KTL~

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with the others...>.>

Stop double posting, in fact it will turn people OFF from posting after you.