Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TLK SE Collector's Set $39 in Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TLK DVD Audiophile Review

I know the US TLK DVD isn't really anything new, but I found this article about the various audio mixes and picture quality on the dvd, and thought someone besides me might be interested in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, i can only say 1 thing:

BRAVO DISNEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It says there are 2 versions of TLK...

All I get is the MR version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have yet to figure out how to get the original version, but yes, I <3 my TLK DVD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link. I've read several reviews about the DVD quality but none went as in-depth as that one. I'm particularly interested in the contrasts between the laserdisc version and the dvd version, since I have watched both and drawn my own conclusions. They were right about saying that TLK is a reference-quality DVD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    that was a cool review to get to the original version of TLK, go to the Set Up menu...then click on film/audio options and then click under the Original Theatrical section the first option and that is the enhanced 5.1 surround sound version

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An interesting read, thanks

In Australia, we're lucky enough to get a DTS soundtrack, and it sounds fantastic on a good 5.1 setup. It's probably the best sounding DVD i have heard.

There is a relatively detailed review of it here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mabatu
    An interesting read, thanks

In Australia, we're lucky enough to get a DTS soundtrack, and it sounds fantastic on a good 5.1 setup. It's probably the best sounding DVD i have heard.

There is a relatively detailed review of it here
    Another nice review. Thanks Mabatu. I really we we had the DTS soundtrack here in the US, i wonder what disney's thinking was on that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An interesting thing to note about our DVD is that to get the Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix, you need to have a DTS compatible decoder, as the DD track on our DVD is just the original theatrical mix, and doesn't sound as good. I've seen some surround systems that won't decode DTS, and only do Dolby, so in cases like that it would be better to have the DEHTM in DD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't get it, where's the review?
    Is there a link that I missed?

EDIT: Oh I see, forgot the word article. I've read the whole review before, it's quiet informative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lolopimp
    I don't get it, where's the review?
    Is there a link that I missed?
    Click the word Article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTLK1
    Another nice review. Thanks Mabatu. I really we we had the DTS soundtrack here in the US, i wonder what disney's thinking was on that
    according to the first review it says that they cut the DTS for the USA because they didnt' want to sacrifice any picture quality

my surround system has a DTS decoder so I wish we had the DTS version of TLK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There actually is no 'orginal version'. The original version just has no new song with the original morning report, but its been cleaned up and all, so you don't get to see it quite as it was in theaters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba '04
    I wish we had the DTS version of TLK!
    I also thought it was kinda strange Disney didn't include a DTS track given that TLK2 and TLK1.5 did have DTS tracks in the US. However, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the Enhanced Home Theater Dolby Digital mix so I can't complain too much. If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    I also thought it was kinda strange Disney didn't include a DTS track given that TLK2 and TLK1.5 did have DTS tracks in the US. However, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the Enhanced Home Theater Dolby Digital mix so I can't complain too much. If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.
    I persoanlly think disney could have scrapped some of the trailers to make room for a dts track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And give up prime marketing space on one of their most popular Platinum edition releases? Nah... besides they want us to have motivation to buy the HD version when it comes out. I think Disney's regular release cycle is 7 years so we should be due for a revisit of TLK in 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    If they had included DTS as well they would have had to apply greater compression to the video section; there's always a trade-off.
    Yep, no doubt that is true. Clearly the R4 DVD having DTS must have impacted the video quality somehow, but i was just wondering, maybe that would somehow be balanced by the fact that we have PAL here, which has a slightly higher resolution than NTSC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mabatu
    Yep, no doubt that is true. Clearly the R4 DVD having DTS must have impacted the video quality somehow, but i was just wondering, maybe that would somehow be balanced by the fact that we have PAL here, which has a slightly higher resolution than NTSC?
    The tradeoff would be more in terms of MPEG compression artifacts than resolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTLK1
    The tradeoff would be more in terms of MPEG compression artifacts than resolution.
    Ah, that is a good point. Even so, the quality on our DVD is really good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kiara Serengeti
    There actually is no 'orginal version'. The original version just has no new song with the original morning report, but its been cleaned up and all, so you don't get to see it quite as it was in theaters.
    I for one would really like a real theatrical version. It would be nice to see the (rumored) various things that were (supposedly) removed and the confirmed changes could be put back for collectors and fans.

I need to upgrade my equipment. I can't even do DD5.1 anymore since the DVD player in my HTiaB broke and I need a HDTV (or a better TV in general). At least I did get to hear the enhanced version before I was sent back to ProLogic land.