Originally posted by Only-now
I can't think of many things that Western Europe does that we should emulate. Their crime, unemplyment rate, taxes, economies etc are all worse than the United States.
Well I don't know what you base on that again. I mean yeah there is more crimes in most of Europian countries than in US, but only on violant crimes and car jackings, in murders and drug crimes US is still way ahead so I can't say which is worse. Unemplyment rate is a bit higher too in EU also, like 9% against US 5.5% so yeah that is worse I guess. Taxes are higher also but the reason to it is the social secure that most of EU countries have way better than US, like nearly every country has basic health insurance against the health insurance policy in US that you have to be able to afford, I have even heard rumors of people that have died in hospital because no one has done anything to save them because of missing insurance, very humain indeed. about Economics... well I don't have much base on my statement on this, but what I think happens with a lot of times is that Europian companies register themself in US because of the lower tax rates to get better resoults, so that also sets higher economic rate for US than rest of the world, lately thought other countries have been catching up on economics too ( many Europian countries, China, Japan and so on )

So from there I can pick at least one thing that US should improve and that is to increase their tax rate a bit and also set higher taxes on companies and that way get some sort of social secure for people who can't afford it othervise, such as basic medical insurance and decent unempyment coverage.
I also would probably do something for the system of being able to sue who ever you want for nearly any reason.

And I'm not saying US has it worse than Europe, I know a lot of counties in Europe where justice doesn't happen too well such as Turkey and Russia. but I don't think countires in western Europe / central Europe / northern Europe do lose on US much on anything

Like tell me how many EU countries you see in list of the most competitive counties 2006-2007

1. Switzerland
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Denmark
5. Singapore
6. US
7. Japan
8. Germany
10. UK
11. Hong Kong
12. Norway
13. Taiwan,China