Originally posted by Only-now
I admit, I am not a big anthropology buff...but you assume I am ignorant because my word usage has negative connotations. That doesn't mean you are ignorant...it simply hints at the fact that I find those cultures less desirable than my own...as well as the fact that I am countering the claim that my culture is inferior to theirs (which I was arguing against).

It depends on what you are referring to...what your priorities are, and what you wish to accomplish. Since I wish to accomplish a longer life span, an easier life, a greater understanding of the world and universe, less disease, and increased technological advances...and my society "beats" the tribal ones in these areas (and more)....I consider those societies "less advanced" or "simple" in comparison.

~Kiva
Actually, I assume that you're ignorant because you views towards other cultures tend to come off as that way. Your word usage just makes it more apparent because it is used to express your opinion and views on the subject. And the word "ignorant" is not meant as an insult in any way (incase you took it as such)...it just means you're lacking in knowledge. But we all lack knowledge to a point on every subject...I think it would be hard to find a subject where someone knew everything there is to know...

Obviously our culture is more advanced in many ways. To consider another culture "simple" by a comparison to our own is ethnocentric and a poor way to view other cultures. It tends to be a close-minded viewpoint.