Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Marius the Giraffe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marius the Giraffe

So I could well be opening up a great big can of worms here, but I'm interested to know what you all think.

The basics of it is that a Danish Zoo killed a healthy giraffe because his genetics were too well represented, even after re-homing offers. Here's an article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-zoos/5482313/

This might cop me a bit of flak, but I don't disagree with what they did. Obviously the giraffe didn't need to be put down, but in terms of animals in captivity and breeding programs I understand why they did it, and I think in terms of how they actually went about it, I think it was well handled. They shot the giraffe so that they could not only dissect it and educate people, but also so that it could be used as food for the lions and provide them with enrichment and I believe some of the organs are being used in research. I feel like the scenario could have been avoided by not letting the giraffes breed in the first place to produce such a genetically unnecessary offspring, but what can you do. I can certainly see where people are coming from and why they are upset about it, but it's just not how I view it.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I read somewhere they were also offered a nice amount from another zoo to take the animal.

I think 3 days ago, I also read, another Danish zoo wanted to do the same thing with one of their giraffes. I didn't read it though, just the title.

Terrible. There is no excuse for doing something like this.
    A perfectly healthy animal being put down. You don't do that with humans eather, so why with animals? Because they aren't human? That's not much of an excuse in my opinion.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I actually agree with you, Azerane, for the exact same reasons as you mentioned. Of course, they should've avoided getting into this situation to begin with by not producing that offspring in the first place and I would like to know a little more about why they declined the offers from other zoos. But, yeah, it's not like the body is going to waste, now that the deed has been done - they are at least using it for several good purposes. So I'm not really that bothered by this. I do think that they need to look over their breeding programme though, because, again, they shouldn't have gotten into this situation in the first place.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have no issues with what they did.

Yes, there were options for a better relocation. I wonder costs of shipment, etc. I also wonder costs of food for lions; Marius probably went to a good cause. It was informative, and I do not think the giraffe suffered. As for if this isn't what we do to humans, is it what we should do to animals? I void that debate because humans wouldn't be in cages inbreeding, technically, either.

I think it's up to the Zoo, they provide well being to other animals, and in feeding them to the lions, they provided for the lions. Also, there are no accounts of neglgence or criminal activity at this zoo I've noted..so it's not a malicious intent. We put down cattle and numerous other animals, and while some want to go into the vegan debate - lions can't LOL, among other animals. It's very circumstancial, and I think it was done ethically. I care about animals, but there are many perfectly healthy animals that get chopped up for those lions on a daily basis, elsewhere in the world. Young or old, it happens. I just ask it's done politely and respectively.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    UPDATE

A Danish zoo that prompted international outrage by putting down a healthy giraffe and dissecting it in public has killed two lions and their two cubs to make way for a new male.

"Because of the pride of lions' natural structure and behaviour, the zoo has had to euthanise the two old lions and two young lions who were not old enough to fend for themselves," Copenhagen zoo said.

Which goes right after me saying, they don't have a criminal history. With Marius, it was not so shocking under those circumstances, as a one time event, considering they they fed the lions, genetic reasons etc. The fact they're using this logic again may suggest it's beyond real validity and just some messed up mind set. These are animals, not furniture; now I do feel vexed about Marius because I speculate the true motive whereas before I had better faith, or fool's hope. Sad.

...did someone not remember relocation is an option? ..I don't even know. I think they should seize the zoo and get the bottom of things and investigate all animals, etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's so shocking... zoos like this are not engaged to keep the species, seems only look for profit...
    I totally disagree what they are doing.

Enviado de meu GT-S7273T usando Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was thinking of posting that on this thread too...

I second Mufasa's post. While the case of Marius didn't bother me too much - for reasons stated - this one, does. Lions are a vulnerable species. Anything that decimates their numbers without a very good reason will always outrage me... And here they killed four lions for the sake of one new male. Was this something they suddenly realised recently that they had to do? They should have been fully aware if the cubs were too young to fend for themselves by the time the new male arrived long before now. Because a new lion isn't something you go out and buy just like that, right? Right...? Or did they let the pair breed anyway, knowing fully that the cubs were doomed as soon as they were born? Whichever reason, this is disgusting.

And I'm feeling slightly disgusted to think that I've been to Copenhagen Zoo and thusly supported them through the ticket purchase... *shiver*

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well I was thinking too, reading your post; it's possible many people who work there or support Copenhagen don't have direct access to authorize things like what has been going on and it could be a select group inside, with the power just wasting off animal life mindlessly...which by now I'd LIKE TO THINK, someone is investigating.

& I've watched videos where baby bears are nursed as cubs to adulthood, by humans, with love and a lot of hard effort. When push comes to shove, they could have nurtured those cubs....it sounds like some sick prison camp doctor is running the place.