So I could well be opening up a great big can of worms here, but I'm interested to know what you all think.

The basics of it is that a Danish Zoo killed a healthy giraffe because his genetics were too well represented, even after re-homing offers. Here's an article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-zoos/5482313/

This might cop me a bit of flak, but I don't disagree with what they did. Obviously the giraffe didn't need to be put down, but in terms of animals in captivity and breeding programs I understand why they did it, and I think in terms of how they actually went about it, I think it was well handled. They shot the giraffe so that they could not only dissect it and educate people, but also so that it could be used as food for the lions and provide them with enrichment and I believe some of the organs are being used in research. I feel like the scenario could have been avoided by not letting the giraffes breed in the first place to produce such a genetically unnecessary offspring, but what can you do. I can certainly see where people are coming from and why they are upset about it, but it's just not how I view it.