Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
He hurt me, just as other parents who hit their children hurt their kids. When I was four or five he just gave me 'six of the best' or so he called it. Whacked my *** six times. Ouch. But then it got worse. There's nothing at all to stop it getting worse with other kids too with their parents.

And, my response was a response to yours. You said being hit made you respect people, and not want to hit anyone else. I was providing my opinion on that, through my personal experience.
\

And, as Darkslash said earlier, there's already child abuse laws in place in the US. I didn't say that being hit made me respect people, being hit normally implies intent to cause harm. I said being spanked. Spanking and child abuse are two different things. I completely support the enforcement of child abuse laws. Personally, I think the government should start enforcing the laws in place before making new ones. In the US, if your father hit you to cause harm, you'd in theory be guaranteed protection from such abuse by the government.