Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Same Sex Unions In America

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if the majority should be deciding. At one time the majority of people said it was okay to treat black people unequally.
    And after the minority brought the majority of Americans to see things the other way, things changed. Would you have the minority, the KKK, for example, decide racial issues today? Or the majority?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aint the point. We have improved for the better in terms of Racial Harmony. Now its the turn of the homosexuals. I think that is only fair.

Talking of which, theres an article in the papers here in England about something similar to this. Basically, the church is effectivly blackmailing the government to allow them to turn away same-sex couples for adopting.
    *Will someone think of the children???*

They basically do not like the idea that the children will be growing up in a non-traditional family. They may get different from normal views on society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Dyani
    Aint the point. We have improved for the better in terms of Racial Harmony. Now its the turn of the homosexuals. I think that is only fair.

Talking of which, theres an article in the papers here in England about something similar to this. Basically, the church is effectivly blackmailing the government to allow them to turn away same-sex couples for adopting.
    *Will someone think of the children???*

They basically do not like the idea that the children will be growing up in a non-traditional family. They may get different from normal views on society.
    I saw that on the news. The news reported said "The Catholic Church needs to learn that the law is the law, and it isn't going to bend for them." Heh.

Also: in before "but you need parents of both genders to grow up good" arguments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Vekke

Some things . . . I don't know if the majority should be deciding. At one time the majority of people said it was okay to treat black people unequally.
    I think that many Americans need to learn what's up with this whole majority rule thing. For a democracy to exist, the majority gets to decide how things are run. What most people forget, however, is that all minority groups must be guaranteed certain rights to exist or the majority will effectively wipe them out; the majority does not have the right to do whatever it wants. In the case of how blacks were treated, their minority rights were not respected by society. If you take away minority rights, the majority will soon wipe out any minority, and if you take away majority rule, the people are no longer in control of their government. Thus, both majority rule/minority rights must exist for democracy to exist.

Personally, I think that many of the harsher laws passed against gay people, such as the efforts to not allow gay people to adopt, are direct violations of that understanding of democracy. As a parent usually passes many of their beliefs onto their children, by not allowing homosexual people to adopt and raise children, this has caused a huge blow to their ability to protect and pass on their views in society. This in turn uses laws to restrict their political impact in the future and can eventually lead to further laws being passed against them. In effect, they could be politically, or God forbid physically, wiped out by a majority opinion. That is why I think people need to look at the impact of every law they pass with careful thought, both for the issue at hand, the possibility and extent of abuse, and further trends that it could result in.

As a side note, I don't think that over the last 10 or so years our society has changed for the better in terms of racism. I think racism has been passed on to other groups of people, such as white people, through affirmative action, race-based political caucuses, and a general trend in society with regards to overwhelming political correctness. But alas, that is for another thread.