Originally posted by Roquivo
Nobody even thinks about sex until that particula species puberty, which is when the hormones associated with "mating" activate.
I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong about this. Puberty is not when sexual behaviour begins, simply when people become more "aware" of their urges, so to speak.

Children are capable of reflexive sexual responses from birth; for example, male children are able to get erections, female children are able to experience vaginal lubing, and both are very common. Studies show that children as young as eight months will make thrusting pelvic movements, at a year will purposely stimulate themselves, and in many cultures are taking part systematic masturbation by the time they're around six. Around 50% of boys can reach orgasm by the age of three. Further cross-cultural evidence shows that in western cultures with a more uptight view of sex children will engage in "sex-play" with each other from about two(you know, playing House or Doctor, whatever) and in other cultures children who are able to observe sex between adults will happily engage in copulatory behaviour at around six.

Of course, there's a lot more to it than this, but I just wanted to pick out the few examples I remember and clear up that strange misconception: children most definitely are not asexual. Plus, there are also cases of going through puberty very early (the worlds youngest ever mother was five years old). I know one boy who had a full beard by the time he was eleven. ;P