Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting? The Big Problem

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion

It's quite strange really that someone would disagree with me on everything. I could argue that grass is often green and I'd still get disagreed with by someone ; ...
    Eh, that's the it goes sometimes...just gotta deal with it and move on.

That being said, back on topic people.
    As far as hippos and whether humans may or may not be superior in various aspects, you've said your pieces/opinions ad nauseum - you're not covering any new ground except redefining the meanings of "futility", "dead horse", and "redundant".

So if you don't have anything else to say about the original thread topic, let it go...please.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tiikeri: So what if humans have more intelligence than other animals? I swear some humans are less intelligent than most animals anyway.

I didn't ask to be born a human.

If humans didn't have all of the things they do today, most of them would die out so quickly it wouldn't even be funny. Just because some guy made an invention, loads of stupid people benifit from it? So much for natural selection. Heh, humans will use up all the resources soon enough, and kill themselves through global warming. Quite ironic that they're so 'intelligent' yet so stupid at the same time.
    So what, now you're anti technology too? If so, I'd chuck that computer of your's out the window, it's a waste of electricity, in a few years when we arrogant humans are burning what little oil we have left, we will have wished you saved that electricity for a few lights. Unless of course you are trying to bring about the human apocolypse faster, and with your hate for humans, I could believe that. I can't possibly understand why you would not wish to be born human. We are so much more capeable than any animal could ever be. We live vastly longer lives than many (note I did not say all) animals, and we gain much more knowledge of this world and it's inhabitants.

This doesn't mean animals are bad. They are just what they are, animals. We are animals as well, but we are highly evolved animals, and the dominant species of the world. If you love animals, that is ok, and I can understand how it may hurt you to know there are people who sport by killing animals, but that doesn't mean you should dislike all hunters and claim that every hunter is arrogant. If someday you get out there and you see the entire world, and all it's people, and understand it in a grander scheme, then perhaps you will have a better view on all this and will be able to put us in our place. For now, there is no reason why hunting topics should be banned, if so, well then you are shuting yourself into a smaller realm instead of attempting to broaden your horizons. We are trying to understand where you are coming from, maybe it is time to try and understand where we and the "arrogant hunters" are coming from.

Opinions need not change. But banning the topic of hunting is wrong. Not all TLK fans hate hunting. And not all threads that mention hunting have to turn into arguments.

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't see how putting human against any animal with bare hands does prove anything, I mean if we have brains to make tools to suvive of course it's allowed for us to do so. and it's not like Lionesses will just attack alone on an animal so what makes it right to attack as a pack? No strenght is not always the key to the success even in surviving, but the intelligent and that is what makes human to stay on top of the food chain.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with you...

It's quite strange really that someone would disagree with me on everything. I could argue that grass is often green and I'd still get disagreed with by someone ; ...
    I dunno whom you mean, but likely the reason would be you have an 'arrogant disagreeance' meaning whenever you find something to disagree with, instead of taking others' views into consideration you blantly scrape for any extremes to force your own view to be the only lugitament one...

On the canadian geese: I'm sure their main concern is they don't want to risk having the same thing happen once more... though I agree, they should if the numbers returned allow hunting, just perhaps a smaller bag limit and perhaps shorter season...

On hunting: which form of hunting does everyone think is the worst/best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The worst form of hunting in the MEDCs (more economically developed countries) is when it is for sport. Fox Hunting I think is horrendous, but there are worse that barely reach the surface of society's knowledge, like keeping/breeding exotic animals to be let loose and killed by wealthy idiots. Those people that do that are scum, and when these creatures escape they are a danger to us as well as themeselves. They don't know how to feed themselves most often and go to humans for food, whom they hav no fear of. I reckon this is what causes the Beast of Bodmin or Dartmoor etc to occur, escaped exotic animals.

In LEDCs (less economically developed countries), the worst form of hunting is the traditional sort. Although people know no better and its indeed the only way they live, spearing or shooting an animal full of arrows is inhumane. I'd prefer all humanity lived like this but it can cause suffering to the individual animal.

I wouldn't have considered any form of hunting to be *best*. All end up with animals dying, most often inhumanly. However, I am not one to judge seeing as I get my meat from the shop/commercially produced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok *sigh* I love fishing yeah, but I always put the fish back once i have got the hook out of it, ok sometimes the fish dies through shock or dies becuase the hook punctures something important, mistakes like that happen, I am not to overly happy with hunting though, i can't say that it should be banned cause it would spoil others fun...

Like one of my friends mates likes shooting rabbits and skinning them for meat, ok if they banned it, he wouldn't have fun.

I dunno really... each to their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SimbaTheLion!!! Dude, theres a reason I havn't actually posted in this forum until now. Can you remember about a year ago when sommate simialr to this came up? I started saying how much I hated humans and gave reasons for them. I even sugguested killing humanity off for once and for all for the evil destruction they are doing!! However I was flamed understandably.

Thus I have altered the way I show my views on this matter. Whether or not I agree on their view, I can always see their point. In order to argue fairly, you must at least see/vaugly understand the other persons point of view. You may not like it but its needed before the thread turns into a flame war! See my point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Dyani
    SimbaTheLion!!! Dude, theres a reason I havn't actually posted in this forum until now. Can you remember about a year ago when sommate simialr to this came up? I started saying how much I hated humans and gave reasons for them. I even sugguested killing humanity off for once and for all for the evil destruction they are doing!! However I was flamed understandably.

Thus I have altered the way I show my views on this matter. Whether or not I agree on their view, I can always see their point. In order to argue fairly, you must at least see/vaugly understand the other persons point of view. You may not like it but its needed before the thread turns into a flame war! See my point?
    Your talking to a brickwall, have fun

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heh, just because I'm standing up for what is right...
    Understandable, I know you're going for what you think is right, and that's cool that you'd say all of humanity sucks, animals rock and what not but,

The point of debating, Which I learned in Speech and Debate, is that you look at two sides, No matter what you do, or even if you agree with them, Nod your head and say "Yeah I understand, but upon my philosophy I think.. YOURSTUFFHERE"

Just make it understood that you know what and where people are coming from on their sides, and then point out yours, if you dont do this then it becomes one sided and looks as if you get no where. It also makes you look arrogant and self-centered, which is why most people get kicked out of Speech and Debate

Just some tips I guess, Don't have to listen to em but it helps a lot when Debating , and it makes the difference between an "argument" and a "Debate" :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't say I'd ever want to be anything else besides human. I think it's probably the best possible organism you could ever hope to be on Earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you weren't a human you wouldn't be typing that message right now.

Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You pretty much have said it in your other posts,

you would rather be something else other than a human

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heh, just because I'm standing up for what is right...
    No, you're standing up for what your messed up little brain thinks is right.

Face it STL, you're a total psycho. Sure, you're academically intelligent so don't start giving me that "I'm much more intelligent than you" ****. You are intelligent, which is why it astounds me that you could think of such wacked out crap. Wanting humans to die out, looking forward to the day we all cease to be, it's pathetic. Don't forget that you'll have died millions of years before the human race ceases to exist, so I really don't see what your point is in all of this. You're a human, and you will remain a human until your dying day, face it.

I need a cig and a pint ;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's called take it to PM's,

And Dani is right,

The polar caps won't melt until another good thousand or so years. You'll be dead i'm sorry to say it Simba.

So if we all can get along we can all just stfu and watch this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's 1.5 megabytes, takes a normal dial up user about 3-5 seconds to load up lol. way faster than the forum loads so x)

And doesn't matter, they would evacuate you, And force you to leave, If they don't then they'd get you and your family to sign a partiion saying you wanted to stay and knew you would die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Pnt

What I don't get is the point of protecting some animals in America (yes, again I'm referring to the Canadian Goose) after it's more than reached a safe number in many areas. Being a large game bird, it has quite a bit of nutritional value for a hunter, and it's also quite a nuisance in most areas. Personally, though, I don't see the Canadian Goose ever being unprotected again.
    As far as I've been able to figure out, the Canada goose is only protected in Ohio and while it is also protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, other states allow the hunting of them though it is heavily regulated.

Actually, from what I'm reading on the Ohio Fish and Wildlife site, there is a migratory Canada Goose season in Ohio...it's actually going on right now until Feb 3rd. Looks like theres a bunch of special guidelines/rules one has to follow though.
    Ohio 2006-2007 hunting regulations - Canada Goose is towards the bottom and top of right column

So yeah, they're protected, but you are allowed to hunt them at certain times with certain restrictions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Wicked
    As far as I've been able to figure out, the Canada goose is only protected in Ohio and while it is also protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, other states allow the hunting of them though it is heavily regulated.

Actually, from what I'm reading on the Ohio Fish and Wildlife site, there is a migratory Canada Goose season in Ohio...it's actually going on right now until Feb 3rd. Looks like theres a bunch of special guidelines/rules one has to follow though.
    From a person in my RS clan who goes to Ohio State:

Code:
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:26pm) <Kovu> Darkxain
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:29pm) <%Darkxain> ?
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:34pm) <Kovu> is there a canada goose hunting season in ohio bro?
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:41pm) <%Darkxain> should be
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:45pm) <%Darkxain> fuckers
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:50pm) <Kovu> is that bad you think?
    Wed Jan 24 (04:16:57pm) <%Darkxain> they're everywhere
    Wed Jan 24 (04:17:10pm) <%Darkxain> i hate those damn geese
    Wed Jan 24 (04:17:16pm) <Kovu> so you support it? :P
    Wed Jan 24 (04:17:18pm) <%Darkxain> yeah
    If they're everywhere tbh, yeah.

oh yea, btw proof:

Code:
    -----<whois>----------------------------
    ? Nick: Darkxain
    ? Real Name: Chris
    ? Hostmask: darkxain@Allianceirc-26FEE04F.resnet.ohio-state.edu
    ? Modes: +iwrx
    ? Connecting from: *@rnwifi-HISIPHERETBHD00D.resnet.ohio-state.edu IPBLEEPEDOUTLOL
    ? Registered Nickname: Yes.
    ? Channels: %#thegladiatorz
    ? Server: irc.allianceirc.net
    ? Signed on at: Wednesday 24/01/2007 15:28:57
    ? Time idle: 1min 7secs
    ? Time online: 49mins 46secs
    -----</whois>---------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ohio 2006-2007 hunting regulations - Canada Goose is towards the bottom and top of right column

So yeah, they're protected, but you are allowed to hunt them at certain times with certain restrictions.
    To my knowledge, it's still completely illegal to hunt Candadian Geese in Ohio. I guess your source is credible, but I've never known this to be the case in the past. It may be a completely new law, I don't keep up on hunting regulation, but all I can say is that it's about time. These geese are getting to the point where they're over populating and overrunning some areas.

I know someone asked a while back about what my favorite/least favorite form of hunting was (I think it was Anon). Personally, I'm okay with all forms of hunting except dynamite fishing and remote controlled hunting (ie, controlling a gun from the internet). I also extremely dislike poaching, but that falls within illegal hunting practices. I have a lot of respect for bow hunters. I do a lot of archery, and I gotta say, anyone who can succeed at bow hunting really knows their stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Pnt
    I guess your source is credible, but I've never known this to be the case in the past.
    It'd better be credible...otherwise the state of Ohio needs to update its website. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It'd better be credible...otherwise the state of Ohio needs to update its website. ^_^
    Pfft, I wouldn't put it past Ohio to leave a website without updates for years.

Ohio has some strange laws sometimes. On the topic of hunting, you can get anywhere from $2 to $100 per head (not literal head) for certain animals presented to the game warden. Deer, muskrats (I think), certain fish, and some small game are all part of this, and it's due to overpopulation. It's also kind of funny that if you get in a car accident by hitting a deer, you're legally entitled to the body of the deer and $25 from the game warden. After 2 days, anyone passing by the road is entitled to the deer.