Originally posted by Only-now
It is a bad punishment to live in a cell until you die..but as I stated earlier...you are still alive...you still eat, and think. All of those are something his INNOCENT victims will never get to do again. THAT is why I feel the death penalty is another choice.

God says that we shall not kill, but he also endorses wars. There are exceptions to the rule. We will never no what a God may be thinking. Even when we supposedly have his words (the Bible) people interpret it different ways. You know what is funny about your statement though..(not that you meant it like this), but you said that the "Religious USA" can kill when the religion says not to. So..now you have to be religious for killing to be wrong? It is justified in the rest of the world? There has to be some reason why you think it is wrong in general...and that would be moral beliefs...and that all comes from religion etc. Im going to confuse myself if I keep going though.

I understand everyone's concerns with the death penalty..and I have given it thought as well. At the moment I find that it is a good punishment with some good results (in certain circumstances). I feel that a man like Saddam deserves no less than death...and justice has been served.

~Kiva
OK, I agree on the point that (at least in this case) the death penalty is in fact a viable punishment, particularly for the crimes he committed but that is not the point I am looking at in this post.

What wars have God or Jesus endorsed? Can you give an example? That being said the bible is considered the "word of God" and was recorded by man, and as a result it is in itself, an interpretation of what was done and said at the time. Therefore by reinterpreting the bible again it is bound to be warped out of all proportion by some.

I mean I know of wars that have been in the past deemed as "holy wars" but that?s not by any means a show of God endorsing that kind of behaviour, just as you yourself say an interpretation of what is written.

On top of that all religions have some fundamental basis on morality, not the other way round, this may just be a confusion of words but all religious texts are based on what the individual or individuals that wrote it believed to be right. Many think, myself included that much of these ancient texts could use a rewrite to be seen as relevant and applicable in an ever-progressing world.

Just so you know, this is in fact Dyani's boyfriend, may make an account of my own to respond on these threads and avoid confusion.