Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lea's "Let's Get Healthy!" Accountability Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm. Well, might not be the most healthy alternative, but Sam, have you tried having a bagel in the morning? It isn't sweet like cereal, it isn't squishy like oatmeal, feels like substantial food expanding when it hits your stomach, and yet isn't as heavy or as product-y as a sub? I swear, it's a pretty magic breakfast food, nearly the entire east coast lives on them for a reason! And maybe try tea or iced tea as a substitute for soda, I notice for myself that the nice acidic feeling tea leaves on my teeth is very similar to the acidic-carbon feeling that soda leaves in the after taste, it might be that "scoured" sensation that's making you miss soda. The carbon might be the big factor for you, not the caffeine.

(And uh, I have not attempted the stairs yet. I'm still brainstorming ways to change into socks and sneakers at work without attracting comments/attention x_x No spectators please :| )
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man, baked apple. I forgot those things existed! I think we used to be able to do one in the microwave, but I've forgotten how, but it had raisins on it. Now I really want to try one again!

Nath I understand not liking the texture of certain foods, and apple I can understand, I especially hate when you get one that's a bit dry and floury, better when they're juicy. I absolutely detest rice, and most of it's about the texture, partially the flavour too.

Sam, two cans of soda a day is a great start! Pat also drinks a tonne of soda and I wish he would drink less, he doesn't seem to think it's too unhealthy but the cost just becomes so much when you have to buy so much soda all the time. Since he's been here, I've kinda gotten hooked on it whereas before I might have soda once a month, I'm used to having it maybe once a day. So that's something I have to cut back on too.

I love breakfast, I do get a bit bored with the things I eat sometimes since I don't have much time to prepare it when I start work early. But I feel ill if I'm doing something and haven't eaten breakfast. CGW, I wouldn't call bagels healthy at all But my gosh are they ever so delicious. I love the cinnamon raisin ones toasted with cream cheese on top! Fortunately, I don't eat bagels when I'm in Aus, strangely only when I'm in the U.S.

I was going to try and attempt the hike today, but by the time I woke up (8am), it was already 22 degrees C and it would have been an hour before I got to the park after eating breakfast etc, by which point it would have been at least 25 degrees. So I didn't think it was wise to hike 5.5km when it was forecast to get to 35 degrees Heat stroke/dehydration is not something I wish to suffer. Instead, I got to do 3 loads of washing (breaks my housework on days off rule) but each load of washing dried in about 40 minutes, was fantastic. Plus, doing loads of washing isn't hard, you put them in the machine, ignore them for an hour, spend 5 minutes hanging them up, ignore them a while longer, then spend 5 minutes bringing them inside.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great idea for a thread!

One thing that worked for me, for those of you that are trying to drink more water: what I did is I bought a big refillable plastic water bottle, and I keep it filled and with me all the time. That way when you get thirsty you have something on hand right away, so the urge to go to the fridge/the vending machine is less. It was hard for me at first but a few weeks later I've been drinking a lot more water and I only occasionally have a glass of tea or milk, and I only have soda if I go out to eat (like at a sit-down restaurant), which isn't very often.

As for me, well I don't own a scale so I don't really know how much I weigh or what my goal weight should be, but it definitely wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds. Last year I was practically bedridden due to health issues for a time and I started getting high blood pressure which was really scary... definitely was a wake up call, I don't want to go back to that.

I drink a decent amount of water I think, and I ride my bike a few times a week. It's a cruiser bike so it's not really designed for going too fast, though. I think my goal exercise-wise would be to start riding my bike more often, up to once a day, and then start adding in some aerobics exercises...

I think my biggest problem is food. I don't eat a lot but I what to eat tends to be junk more often than not, sadly. I definitely need to work on increasing my fruit & veggie intake, first of all!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What's this I hear about baked apples? That sounds really tasty

I've got my pedometer going and I'm gonna let it count for about a week before I start going on my daily walks so I can get an average of steps taken per "normal" day. It's already not looking good for the count towards the 10 000... xP (That seems to be the recommended number according to the pedometer.)

My stomach has been behaving weirdly for the last couple of days; it's like I'm constantly hungry, even after I've recently had a meal. I hope it'll stop that, because the stomach ache I get when I'm hungry is nasty.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
    Nathalie, have you ever tried baking the apple? *drool* baked apple is so good, tastes just like apple pie. <3 And the texture is very soft. Also, have you ever tried plain vanilla yogurt? I used to get tubs of that and just add whatever fruit flavoring I wanted using those little fruity powdered drink packets or powdered pudding/jello whatever...maybe not the healthiest, but it's a better snack than ice cream anyway. x3

Also, I just posted my schedule for an idea. If 10 is the earliest you can eat, start yours at 10. Just go 10, 1, 4, 7 or something for your eating times. ^^ The important thing is to get your body's metabolism going. Giving it something to chew on every few hours will help you burn more overall as you "engine" will not shut off all day.

Do you like tea or coffee? Or water with lemon? Any of those things will also jump start your metabolism in the morning if you can't eat.

So you can't even leave your house to go on a walk or hang out at a bookstore or something for an hour or so a day? Maybe take a book or sketchbook with you to distract you? I think just getting out of the house and a change of scenary each day instead of being stuck inside waiting on job news might help you a lot just to get started making some small changes. I mean, I could be wrong, but if you're having trouble thinking of changes you could start making, maybe it's worth a shot? Whatever you come up with that works for you I still beliiieeeevvveee!! *roots for you*
    By "baking an apple" do you mean like, make slices and just put it in a pan?
    Because I have done that in school, and always said I would do this again, lol. Sliced very thin, with a bit of sugar on top, and then just bake a little in a pan.
    But then again, the sugar makes it not so healthy anymore, lol.

Yes, we have 1 brand of yoghurt, without chunks, but I only get that when I'm really in the mood for it.
    We sometimes bring it, and then it just sits there in the fridge going bad :/
    I also usually eat straciatella yoghurt (vanilla with chocolate bits).

I don't drink any coffee, the smell alone makes my stomach turn, I've never liked it.
    I have a coffee machine (Senseo, don't know if it's known in the USA), you have to use pads for it and water, but I actually use it for hot chocolat, hehe.
    Tea, I drink maybe once a year.
    I do drink lots of ice tea (peach flavoured, mmmm).
    I also don't drink any kind of water, lol, I love Chaudfontaine. You *can* actually taste a difference. The cheap water my mom always gets, if I drink too much of it, I'll get an upset stomach.

My boyfriend lives in a small village, and my home is in a town where nothing happens. They don't even deliver pizza there, that's how far it is from bigger towns, lol. So going out for a walk or something, isn't really something I do.
    When I'm at my boyfriends, I go to Antwerp city a lot though, just walk around there. But with this weather now starting to go bad, that's not happening as much anymore eather.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerane View Post
    Nath I understand not liking the texture of certain foods, and apple I can understand, I especially hate when you get one that's a bit dry and floury, better when they're juicy. I absolutely detest rice, and most of it's about the texture, partially the flavour too.
    I loooooove rice, lol.
    I could eat chicken curry with rice every day, haha!

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    But couldn't you go out for a walk just to walk, Nathalie? Are there any parks or forests nearby? Those are always nice to have a stroll around. Even if there isn't, surely there are roads you could walk along? I can enjoy walking even if there isn't anything particularly scenic around, even though I naturally prefer it when there is, and it's good to just get a bit of fresh air :3

As for me, now at 9:15pm the step count is currently roughly at 2400. Barely a quarter of the required amount. Oy.

-----

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    There's a forest nearby, but I don't go there --> spiders everywhere, still in this time of year, when they should have all been gone!

There is nothing here really where you would wanna go for a walk, unless you actually go into town. Which is another bus drive, which requieres medication.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've been quite good today!

I'm soooo craving for junkfood lately, mainly McDonalds, lol.
    And I went to Holland today, it's very closeby for me, 30 minutes by bus.
    I went to a travel agency there, and went to get my Donald Duck comic books they don't sell in Belgium.
    And I was soooo craving a Big Mac, haha, and I resisted!

I've read somewhere, if you can resist something for 28 days, then after that period, you don't crave it anymore.
    I wonder if that actually works ... I've never managed to keep it up that long with anything, haha!

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congrats, Nathalie. I thought it was 21 days to form a new habit. That is what I heard anyway.

Thanks for the banner, Sombolia.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If 21 days should work, then 28 days should definatly work

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathalie View Post
    By "baking an apple" do you mean like, make slices and just put it in a pan?
    You could certainly do it that way I'm sure! Probably easier to flavor that way. I'm too lazy for that. xD I just stick it in the oven at about 250 Farenheit for a while and then consume it once it feels soft. Much like one would eat a baked potato. x3 I don't usually do much more than sprinkle cinnamon, but I always buy the really sweet apples so it's usually flavorful enough as is. If I am feeling really ambitious (or camping) I cut the top off/core it and fill it with peanut butter or nuts or something and it tastes delish.

And as for the month of resisting temptation=breaking a bad habit, I can certainly attest to that. That's exactly what happened to me in 2005 when I went on my big diet and cut out all sugars. I had MONDO bad cravings the first few weeks that it took all of my willpower to resist, but after the month had passed I was pretty much in control and could easily say no without a sweat. It's hard at first, but perseverance definitely pays off as I lost 40lbs that way.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh, OK, so a baked apple is just an apple that's been in the oven for a while?

I'm home now for 8-9 days, which usually helps too, because my mom hardly gets any sweets in the house, and when she does, my dad gets away with them

But just heard it's Chinese for dinner, and that's just a pain ...
    Whenever I eat rice, I can just keep on eating untill I explode, lol.

And usually about an hour after dinner when it's Chinese food, I'm already plating up again, haha.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    *yay* I was so scared this thread would have been lost, as it's been a long time, people posted so much in just 1 post, haha.

Anyways ... how is everyone doing?
    I'm drinking more and more water again, and also Ice Tea. I looked at the calories on the packages, for 2L it only has 42 kcal in it, which is pretty good I guess, and it's just a switch of taste between all that water.
    Have to admit, 1 Fanta at least every 3 days, lol, because I can just feel my body craving for sugar.

I'm trying not to eat as many sweets anymore also, which seems to be doing OK.
    I did have a huge sin last weekend, lol.
    Friday snackbar ... Sunday McDonalds, hehe, but those was because Friday I had a late doctor's appointment, and was just feeling to sick to actually stand up straight behind a stove, so quickly got some take out when I came from the doctor as it was only a 2 minute walk.
    And Sunday, we went away for almost the entire day, and we were so hungry, we stopped at the first thing we saw

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Haha, yes, I'm also relieved that this thread has survived

I'm trying to make a change to my habits. I've been walking around with the pedometer for a few weeks now and it is basically as I feared :'D On average I take about a quarter of the amount of steps it recommends per day, but even when I've gone on a walk on top of my normal routine I couldn't get it even close to the 10 000 steps it wants. Soo taking 10 000 steps a day feels like an unrealistic goal now, because I simply don't have the time to take long walks every day. Instead I'm gonna try and do a bit of aerobics and yoga a couple of times a week. If I use the videos on YouTube I have no excuse since I don't even need to leave the room... :P

I'm also gonna try and set myself a regular eating schedule, like some of you talked about here before, and have several smaller snacks throughout the day in order to eliminate the huge dinners I've been having for the last year. That's something I need to do anyway now, what with the gluten intolerance and that...

The "only sweets on weekends" rule hasn't been holding up great, heh; I also sinned on Friday and bought a big bag of chocolates, followed by another lot of sweets on Saturday, so that was very bad... xP But I also felt guilty for doing it, so hopefully I won't cheat again anytime soon Do you guys have any tips for little snacks you can eat instead of actual sweets? Most of the time I want some sort of sweet dessert after dinner, so what is there besides fruit that could be a good substitute?

-----

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think the 10.000 steps a day is only doable, if you actually go for a jog or something after school/work/in the evening.
    Because even in my previous job, where I would walk around the office a lot, and to the storage place and such, walk to the bus/office in the morning & evenings, didn't even get me to 7.000 steps a day.

I have to be honest though, I ordered myself a new pair of jeans, a size bigger.
    It just seemed like the most easy thing to do at the moment.
    I haven't been on a scale for the past week, will do that tomorrow morning, and then try to continue with the drinking water/ice tea, cut off sweets.
    Last week, I actually ate sandwiches through-out the day, from Tuesday till Saturday whenever I was hungry. I hope that helped a lot too.
    Because usually for lunch, I open a can of soup or something.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am also glad this thread is still here! I need this accountability. e_e Even though Lea was down I kept thinking, "okay...yes you want that ice cream, but remember! You have to report it if you eat it!" So that has helped. Also, I am glad it's up because I did not want to have to re-write that first post all over again. xD *copies and saves it for future use if needed*

I actually have been doing really, really good--but the frustrating part is it's not showing yet as far as my weight. :/ I know it would go faster if I just exercised along with my eating habits change but, as I've said before, I don't have a lot of time and it bores me to death to work out for the sake of working out. If only I lived somewhere that wasn't super flat and dead-looking so I could go for a hike...oh well. Colorado one day, maybe.

But yeah, as for food I was actually really proud of myself the past three weeks--haven't had any artificial sugar! Still working on drinking more water, but there is definitely a conscious effort involved. In fact, the only time I have been "bad" was yesterday and today as I flew up to Virginia to visit an old friend and we ended up making jello shots. xD And then on the flight back I had to get up REALLY early so I just ate whatever the airlines gave me which was peanut butter m & m's, some very sweet biscotti, and some pretzels. I don't even like pretzels, bleh. I was just soooo hungry. So that's my confession I suppose.

The great thing though I've been noticing is that now that I've passed the three-week mark with no unnatural sugars, my craving for sweets/chocolates/baked goods has been essentially ZERO. Which makes it so easy. I had an inclination to go raid my parents' fridge just now for ice cream, but that was purely out of years of habit, not a craving, so it was really simple to say no to myself.

As far as getting that sweet-tooth fix goes, Azerane, what works for me is V8 fusion (which is 100% real fruit juice, no addatives) and/or yogurt with honey and granola. But if you are not particular about whether or not what you eat is artificial sugar, there are lots of sugar-free jellos, puddings, and other things out there that I used to rely on for those weaker moments of need. One of my favorites is actually this chocolate milkshake recipe using sugar-free chocolate pudding. If you have an ice cream maker I also have turned that recipie into some GREAT soft-serve by just putting it in there or combining the sugar free chocolate pudding with some plain yogurt and a bit of honey. Delicious!!! I know it's hard to do the no sweets thing, but I know you can do it if you keep at it! Besides, even attempting to break a habit like that is hard, trust me I know. x___x

Here is also a low-calorie sweet snack list that I liked, maybe you will too.

And yaaaay Nathalie for working a walk into your schedule! Even though it's not that far, it still counts for something. Also good on ya for trying to cook more and make sandwiches and stuff. I am happy for you!

And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been doing well on my no soda thing. I have been mostly soda free since the eighth of November. The only soda I had has been a total of three cans of diet soda.

I also lost ten pounds. From 220 lbs to 210 lbs.

KanuTGL, not sure how healthy it is but, I sometimes just slowly eat a spoonful of honey if I want something sweet.
    Last edited by lionloversam; November 27th, 2013 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks for the banner, Sombolia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow!!!! You already lost 10 pounds??? Man, I envy guys. You've got guytabolism for sure, that's awesome!!! Congrats! I think a success like that deserves some dancing gifs....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
    And yaaaay Nathalie for working a walk into your schedule! Even though it's not that far, it still counts for something. Also good on ya for trying to cook more and make sandwiches and stuff. I am happy for you!
    Don't know where you got that from, but I think you mis-read

I only pointed out, that it's impossible to get 10.000 steps a day, unless you do a job in the evening or something.
    I didn't say I'm doing that

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathalie View Post
    Friday I had a late doctor's appointment, and was just feeling to sick to actually stand up straight behind a stove, so quickly got some take out when I came from the doctor as it was only a 2 minute walk.
    Was just finding a positive in your story about take out. x3