Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal photographs taken at the zoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool photos, thanks so much for sharing. That parrot really does have such beautiful colours. It's gorgeous. Looks like you would have had a good time anyway =)
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yay! The zoo! I loved the Houston zoo. That parrot does have some beautiful plumage. And yay! sea lions. I loved it when she came up and was like "Hello?" and then went right back to swimming. Do they have seals too? I can't remember.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seals? No, at least not now... I didn't go into the aquarium part, but I suspect it's mostly fish in there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Probably. It's been a long time since I've been there. I'd love to go back sometime. I remember standing and watching the lions for a good half hour before I realized my family had just kind of left me.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one of the most hilarious things about the whole day (besides the parents pretending to know about animals and misinforming their kids about them):

One kid was looking at, I think the margay, and asked his parents, "What is that, a Hakuna Matata?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nice. The whole parents not reading signs and telling their kids falsehoods about the animals really annoys me. I think it's mostly because it's my job to educate people about animals at work and when I can't do it when I'm not working, I get annoyed. I'll correct people though. Got into an argument with some guy about Okapi once. He insisted they were a giraffe-zebra-donkey hybrid.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some nice shots, I've always wanted to tour the world and visit as many zoos as i possibly can! That would be awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great pics and video Darkslash, thanks for sharing! I just went back to my local zoo yesterday and took a ton of pictures, I'll post the best ones later in this thread:

http://www.leahalalela.com/showthrea...&threadid=8141

Mods, maybe merge this thread with the the one I linked above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first Jaguar Picture posted by Lion_King_300 - how beautiful!!
    I have officially fallen in love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I voted for other - African Wild Dog, which I've only seen once at a zoo, the awesome North Carolina Zoo. After that, I love all the African animals equally

My Toronto Zoo shots can be found here and the ones of the North Carolina Zoo can be found here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just went back to Woodland Park zoo to try out my new Canon Digital SLR camera I inherited from my dad, I shot a variety of animals including some beautiful pics of lions and the jaguar which I'll save for the end:

NON-AFRICAN ANIMALS

A kookaburra sitting in a... not... gum tree

This Komodo dragon is huge, almost the size of a dwarf crocodile

Cute guy, but I wish we were able to get some kangaroos though, I haven't seen one live yet.

This is Hadiah, a cute tiger cub that was abandoned by its mother and raised by zookeepers. It's really an amazing story - and I had the pleasure of covering it for one of the local community newspapers, and it was special because it was my first news story that appeared in print.

Click on the link to read it!

Tiger cub makes debut at zoo

AFRICAN ANIMALS

The zoo's African Savanna went through a major overhaul during the offseason and added a number of zebra, gazelle and giraffe, this is one of the new additions

Patas Monkey

Closeup head shot

One of the new Grant's gazelles basks in the midday sun

Up next: BIG CATS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We'll do the Jaguar first... he's seven years old and weighs about 180 pounds. He's been at Woodland Park since 2003 and the keeper said there are plans to have him mate with a female jaguar soon which will be on loan from another zoo.

I love his expression in this one, like he's eyeing something off in the distance

Close up, great detail of the jaguar's face

Full-body shot, taken just after he dozed off for a mid-afternoon nap

Up next: LIONS! :shout:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is Jake, who just celebrated his 16th birthday June 4th, 2007. He's getting old and losing a little weight but the zookeepers are doing what they can to fatten him up.

Jake out cold... it was an unusually hot day for springtime in Seattle, around 80 degrees.

No yawning in class!

The only female lioness at the zoo, she is also fairly old at 14 or 15 I believe, but still in perfect health.

The Pride Rock-like part of the enclosure where the lions like to spend most of the day

"You know Jake... you have a cute butt!" He's not interested...

Keeping an eye on their territory

Out of the 15 or so times I've been to the zoo this is the FIRST TIME that any of the lions have come right up to the window of the viewing shelter! What a treat to be literally inches away from this beautiful animal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pleeeease don't eat me!

Somebody tell these kids that tapping on the glass scares the animals away instead of making them come closer...

And finally...

IMO the best picture I've ever taken in terms of overall composition. She had walked away from the viewing shelter and I was just about to leave and she started walking back directly towards me... and I got the perfect shot. I called this one "The Stalking Huntress."

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57088687/
    If you have a deviantart account leave me comments plz!

That's all for now, I'll be back again soon and hopefully get some good tiger pics too.

Hope everyone likeys!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That last one is awesome Tim! It looks like something out of Nat Geo. Great job.

Last time we went to the zoo, one of the young male lions was just staring at me. He watched me walk up and down the fence. It was awesome.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    when i was at zoo last time i was like 5 cm from the lionesses head, she just stood in peace and stared at me, and her face was so huge i could not see something around it .. it was an assome long moment, and my camera didnt work >_<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i really need to get out to the Bronx zoo, i haven't been in so long! I need to go see the new Wild Dog Pack. fantastic pictures everyone!!! i might share some later, if i get around to it. but truly some great photographs!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This thread is one of my faves. Seriously. I just wanted to show off some of mine from my last trip. These are from that trip I was talking about up there where the lion was watching me walk up and down the fence.

This is a yellow-backed duiker. There are a few zoos that have them, but they're really shy. This is the best shot I've ever had of one. They also eat carrion. Which is different.

Tomistoma

Our tiger

One of the new additions. A red-ruffed lemur. He likes ta move it move it.

The zoo just added a new set of exhibits with insects. It's pretty awesome really. My sister is deathly afraid of roaches... so I took this... I'm going to put it as her desktop one day.

More in a minute.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    More photos.

Orinoco Crocodile. This is super cool. This is one of the most endangered/rare species of crocodilan. According to ISIS, there are only 13 in zoos around the world. It's so awesome.

Reticulated Python

Prairie dog

Dawn and I fed the loris. This one landed on my head and then proceeded to poo on me. Haha.

Komodo dragon

A baby gibbon. It was only two weeks old.

Baby dwarf caiman. These little dudes are over a year old, and still barely a foot long. Reptiles grow so slowly.

One of our new jaguars. I love this angle.

This is the lion that was watching me walk along the fence. We've got two young males and they're going to be so handsome once they're grown.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    your pictures are awesome HK!!!!!!!!1 I love the Lemur picture! fantastic, that zoo has a great assortment of animals!