Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your religion... and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    something else i would like to know (ijn the christian faith) is if we are all supposed to be god's children, then what is so special about Jesus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a good question Dan...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @ La_Reina, your previous post, that makes me think/wonder alot about, why there are so many different religions out there.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by la_reina
    I still don't understand why Christians and Catholics believe Jesus is the son of god. In Islam to affiliate someone with God is one of the most serious sins you can commit.
    Well, the base reason behind would be because we arn't islam... we're christian, and therefore believe differently ...

I don't understand why islam doesn't believe Jesus is the son of God ...

as for the reasons christians believe Jesus is christ, the son of God, well ... Jesus said so[1], God said so[2], and it was repeated many many times.

[1] Luke 22:70
    They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He (Jesus) replied, "You are right in saying I am."

[2] Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Originally posted by Daniel
    something else i would like to know (ijn the christian faith) is if we are all supposed to be God's children, then what is so special about Jesus?
    Jesus is God in the Flesh, God's son, we are refered to as 'child of God' because we are of God, we believe that Jesus is the son of God

1 John 5
    1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

8We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him. 19We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 20We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true?even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Matthew 12:

46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."

48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

as to what's special about him... well that's too numerous to list out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    I have no religion, and I do not want or need one. I am against orgainised religion for the most part, but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.
    Seconded. Although I would like to add that I really really hate the types of religious groups who try and get you to join their group, Jehovah's Witnesses are a perfect example of this. Please, stop knocking on our doors and forcing us to look interested whilst you bring up some boring shoite about your faith. If I ever become a JW or any other religion, it will be because "I" want to, not because some see you next tuesday in a suit knocked on my door and told me that being a JW makes him happy and therefore assumes it would make me happy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Tiikeri
    Seconded. Although I would like to add that I really really hate the types of religious groups who try and get you to join their group, Jehovah's Witnesses are a perfect example of this. Please, stop knocking on our doors and forcing us to look interested whilst you bring up some boring shoite about your faith. If I ever become a JW or any other religion, it will be because "I" want to, not because some see you next tuesday in a suit knocked on my door and told me that being a JW makes him happy and therefore assumes it would make me happy too.
    I will join JW once they actually do something to help people, like give blood. x)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe in God although im not a Catholic (protestant).

And I have to admit reigion is resposible for so much pain and suffering. In battles, wars, crusades, jihads.....

I don't see anything remotely holy about war.

I believe in God because the chance of a universe exiting with the right number of dimensions for life, the chance of life exiting,life on a planet the correct distance from the sun, the chance of natural forces being in balance for life to exist such as gravity without there being a God is in my view impossible.

My belief also explains the origin of the universe, why everything works, fits in to the world perfectly. As well as the diversity, complexity and beauty of life and the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lycian Wicca.

♩ "Summer's going fast, nights growing colder.
    Children growing up, old friends growing older.
    Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
    Make each sensation a little bit stronger." ♩

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    I have no religion, and I do not want or need one. I am against orgainised religion for the most part, but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.
    Ditto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Religion is sometimes used as an excuse for war, there is nothing holy about war, in all of the mauscripts (sorry here if I'm mixing computer scripts and religious scripts) in almost all religions promote peace, and harmony. Not war and hatred, you may dislike a person for something they believe in, but in my opinion, everyone is right.

Myself, I have no religion, I worship nothing and intend to stay that way, unless a starnge ghostly hand lifts me off a cliffe and claims to be god/allah, then i shall convert to that faith.

EDIT

Since I wrote this, certain things have happened, no, a strange ghostly hand has not dangled me off a cliff, but I have to have RE/Ethics at school and after learning about many different faiths and religion, I am a mixture of a few.

Every year I sing about God/Jesus at Christmas Concerts at school, and it's kind of got into my head, so I think there may have been a child born 2000 whatever years ago, but I don't believe he was born of a virgin, I believe he was bron of Joseph and Mary and GREW UP to be the saviour of the Earth...

Also, due to learning about the Great Buddha in RE, i have decided to take aboard some of their ways of life. They say that as a young boy, the Buddha sat beneath a tree and saw THE CIRCLE OF LIFE [] unfold infront of his very eyes, and saw that everything happens for a purpose, I believe this: Everything in this world exists in a great balance, one thing happens because another thing did, and that these all will eventually lead up to something BIG, like the evolution of man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If being a Christian is about intolerance, why is it that, in many cases, Christians are not tolerated? For example, at my dad's place of work (a major U.S. company), Muslims are given special "days off" in accordance with their holy days -- Christians are not given the same privilege. I agree with those who say that war is not holy, but just because it is not "holy", does not always make it "wrong".

I am a Christian because, where is the hope in other religions (and yes, Christianity is not a true "religion", but a faith)? Where do you go when you die -- to some Paradise with 700 virgins, or whatever it is the Muslims believe? All Christianity demands is belief, and faith -- no rules and endless lists of requirements. It's not about service -- it's about love -- we serve Christ because we love him and want to, not because we need to in order to be saved.

That's not to say that I don't respect the opinions of others -- I think they are incorrect, but that gives me no grounds to shoot them, or berate/mock them, or whatever. We can have a civilized discussion, even if our viewpoints don't see eye to eye.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really just don't know.

I believe in God, I am saved, and that is the extent. It is very difficult for me to even feel as if I can put my life to this with Christianity. It's difficult. for the most part, non-denomnational Christian.

Why? : Well......I went through alot of hard stuf in various churches. Baptst, Catholic, Orthoox, Methodist...ALOT of churches and only one was good but it didn't last. Also I have difficulty seeing how christianity really is what it's cracked up to be. My family is supposed to be..but nobody keeps to the law of God...HARDLY EVER....no boundaries. Obviously nobody is perfect and can fit it all like Jesus, but I can see where it REALLY goes askew in my home. I was abused by somebody who so called christian, and he told me that Jesus hated me and that I was not worthy. I've also been told by many parties in my family that I'm possessed or see demons, and hear the devil. The Lord terrifies me,, for one....and if this is how God works..forget it. I'll remain thinking He's up there, and that I'm saved......but that's about it for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Utora, I so wanna give you a hug. Jesus doesn?t hate you, he couldn?t possibly, He loves you, he DIED for YOU. and God, he IS love he shouldn?t terrify you, well I know I'd be scared if I was going to see him face to face tomorrow or something, but its more like a respect 'your so holy' kind of fear. I mean he calls us his kids and he's like our dad, that might not be very comforting if you've had bad experiences with family but the difference is God IS perfect and would never do anything to you that wasn?t the best thing for you.
    If you?ve accepted Jesus you are not possessed by demons because Jesus cannot live with them.
    Even though you?ve had a bad run read the Bible and learn for yourself. I?m praying for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
    2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
    3. Liberal Quakers (88%)
    4. Secular Humanism (77%)
    5. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (74%)
    6. Bah?'? Faith (70%)
    7. New Age (61%)
    8. New Thought (57%)
    9. Neo-Pagan (56%)
    10. Theravada Buddhism (55%)
    11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (52%)
    12. Reform Judaism (48%)
    13. Nontheist (48%)
    14. Mahayana Buddhism (45%)
    15. Jehovah's Witness (43%)
    16. Scientology (36%)
    17. Sikhism (36%)
    18. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (35%)
    19. Taoism (34%)
    20. Hinduism (27%)
    21. Jainism (18%)
    22. Orthodox Judaism (18%)
    23. Orthodox Quaker (18%)
    24. Eastern Orthodox (9%)
    25. Islam (9%)
    26. Roman Catholic (9%)
    27. Seventh Day Adventist (4%)

I believe in God when I need help, else I don't Oo Just my opinion. And they've found Jesus skelleton beside that magic hill they talk about in the bible, so I do believe he has been here too. Not as God son literally then, but as a normal guy that just learned about God more than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was baptized Roman Catholic, received First Communion in a Roman Catholic church, but was confirmed Episcopalian. I feel, however, that I currently have no religion because I've yet to find one that all my beliefs fit into. I've my own beliefs, few of which actually fit into Christianity. Most of them would get my damned to Hell according to Christian doctrines. Basically I'm trying to find myself and the right religious path for me, which is difficult since I'm not overly religious and notoriously lazy. So despite my upbringing, I feel I have no religion at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    (post Edit due to alot of crap that didnt need to be said) "shadows own edit"

Nope i dont have a religun our belive in anything higer

but i do belive in spirits/souls" not the one you can contact whit stuped cards our bottels >.> " you cant mess whit those i belive in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ It's all cool Shadow, It's only matter of opinion and act of faith. Even though you don't have any religion but you have faith in yourself, and what you believe.

I believe who created me and I believe he have the power to take me back, and he give me free will and decision to decided what's right and what's wrong. Even though I say to him "Why did you do this to me?" but always end up "It's part of the world challange and I'm gonna participate it". Right now one of my aunties in ICU Unit in stable condition, She have a great 70 years and she will go back where she belong to complete her circle as a human being.

Even though you have a religion or not it's part of normal life. Beside the world is pretty gloomy if there's no argument and variety.

One last word from me

Hey It's a circle of life. Don't block your mentality and opinion just spread it out =).

(edit: I read the whole text shadow =) It's all good)
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "I believe in a God
    I believe in a Home
    I believe in a divine eternal Justice..."

That sums up my religion. I try to find all the roots of the old religion of my nation. It's mixed and melted into christianity for around 1000 years by now. After all it was christianity (the catholic church) - in a sense - that caused it nearly totally vanishing from the world. But over the years the ancient one survived in the rites, habits, tales and traditions - even in the christian-related ones. And this ended up creating a hungarian side of christianity. that we have now: the country comes first, then the whole catholic unity and anything else.
    I still go with the basics up there, but still show respect to the organized christian ways that occour here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My religion? Well...It's Neo Shamanism (Neo-Wizardry too...) I don't like the term Pagan. I don't know why, I just don't. I was bapitized as a Ipiscipalian. Bieng raised Agnostic. Chose own path. I respect all religions... We Are One, is how I feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe in God when I need help, else I don't Oo Just my opinion. And they've found Jesus skelleton beside that magic hill they talk about in the bible, so I do believe he has been here too. Not as God son literally then, but as a normal guy that just learned about God more than others
    I don't really belive that was his body...Where did you hear this?

I am a Catholic and I belive in God. One of the things that keeps me going is the miracles that happen. Alot of them cannot be explained by scientists, even though they tried. There is alot of proff of God. Things couldn't have just poof came to. Things can't be floating around and then cause the big bang. Just like car parts can't float around and suddenly explode to form a car.. IMO.
    How did the huge blast happe? Where did these little material that caused the big bang come from? You see how that doesn't make sense? They also can't explain where those little microrganisms that we came from came from,

(and religion doesn't cause wars. people do.)

But yeah, i am a Catholic. Now don't hate me becuase of it either. I hate it when that happens..