Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your religion... and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    On the other hand, I also disagree with Athiests that do not consider themselves part of a religion. Atheism is a religion because it's based on a belief that there is no god.
    That's what the dictionary says, yeah. But it seems to me that people around my age (at least around here) mostly use the word 'atheist' to describe a person that doesn't believe in god in any form, that it describes a lack of faith in the supernatural rather than an active disbelief in it.

That may be 'wrong' according to the dictionary, but it's typically the way people use words that give them the meaning they have, rather than what a book says they're 'supposed to mean'. Like 'gay' means 'homosexual' instead of 'happy' these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    Athiesm is a religion because it's based on a belief that there is no god.
    That pretty cool actually. I think I shall use that to my advantage

A -"I don't believe that there is a God!!!"
    B - "Ah, but you belive there is no God, therefore you have faith in the fact there is no god."
    A - ".... er..."
    B - "Therefore you have a faith, therefore you have a religion."
    A - "... DAMMIT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're probably going to have to word a bit better than that, though. What you're saying now is that not doing something is the same thing as doing something, that not believing is the same thing as actively disbelieving. Kind of like how not playing football is the same thing as playing football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Atheism isn't a religion because religion means that someone believes in something that cannot be proved to exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I choose to practice a mixture of Roman Catholicism with more of a Buddist's philosephy(sp*). I believe we are all human first and Chirstians, Muslims, etc second...and that religion is a tool I use to help me in my quest to become a better person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormon as most probably know it as. Why? Because I believe that Joseph Smith was truly visited by God and Jesus Christ and that he really did translate a record of ancient people that lived in America. All the beliefs also make a lot of sense to me too which helps build my faith. I find it sad that so many rumours have been made about my church because it really is a great religion. I find it to be very tolerant of others and it is extremly family based which I like. It focuses on helping people better themselves. Even if you think that it's completly and utterly wrong, you can admire the history of the church, especially the faith the early members had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lion_roog
    I choose to practice a mixture of Roman Catholicism with more of a Buddist's philosephy(sp*). I believe we are all human first and Chirstians, Muslims, etc second...and that religion is a tool I use to help me in my quest to become a better person.
    I guess I'm kinda like you. I'm liberal christian, consider Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, but I also follow the Dalai Lama (and Buddism) in a non-religious, but moral, sense. Why? Well, I think he's a very accepting, intelligent person that serves as the voice of reason in a world that could really use a voice of reason. He has never forced his religion upon someone that I am aware of, and tells even other buddists to never blindly accept something if they think it is wrong, regardless of who tells them it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm an athiest.
    I tried and I tried to believe in God. I was forced to go to church by my mother, and I tried to join in. I prayed at school, I prayed at night. I asked god for signs... And even then I tried to believe. And then I realized it was just no use.
    But my mind just won't allow me to believe in something I cannot sense in any way whatsoever. It just makes no sense to me.

Also, I figure if there is a god, he doesn't need us to praise him. What worth would that have? He's supposed to be humble, why would he want praised?

The one thing that probably destroyed any faith in god was this one incident though.
    My friend had a dog, and she treated that dog very well. It was her best friend. But one day the dog escaped, "ran away" if you will.
    And she prayed, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for YEARS. And she never found that dog, dead or alive. Not a sign.
    What possible reason could god have for denying the request to have her dog back?
    My friend was a devoted Christian, prayed every night, was kind and, and LOVED that dog.

So therefore, I believe that if God existed he would have gotten my friend's dog back somehow. I mean, he's God, "always has been always will be, a thousand years is like a minute...etc" he wouldn't even have to snap his fingers and that dog would be there.

(Keep in mind, this is all according to what I have been taught and is completely my opinion.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I consider myself an Ecological-Rational Pantheist, and would like to attend my local Unitarian Universalist Church regularly. My spirituality is a blend of many things from different religions and is very personalized (hey; it makes sense to me). Let me explain.

I was raised a Presbyterian in a liberal household. My parents are both well-educated, and vote Democratic in the U.S. elections (normally across the board). My church is an old mainline Protestant one, and I have been involved in the youth group there in the past (I've been too busy this year). I was baptized and even confirmed in the Presbyterian faith (although I was very careful in my Statement of Faith to keep it consistent with my scientific knowledge). And even though it is a liberal congregation (we support gay marriage, abortion rights, and international human rights efforts), I find myself less and less tied to the traditional Christian dogma.

I have very strong ties, however, to my scientific worldview. I believe, because it just makes sense to me, that the universe was created by The Big Bang, expanding violently (continuing to this day), our Earth being just one of many celestial bodies circling around a star. I believe that life, not to discount its value, arose naturally through organic combinations and evolved to create everything we see here today. Now, how do I reconcile this seemingly atheistic, naturalistic worldview with my inherent feeling that there is a spirit in this world?

It is through what is generally a Native American-style belief system that I have done it. I always find spirituality to be found both in large groups of people and in the beauty of nature. And so I have decided that it is these things that are the divine. We have arose as human beings by completely natural processes, but it is our collective spirit - and the spirit of the earth and of other living things - that we look to as God (pantheism). It is through this mechanism that great things are possible, and transcendental truth can be reached. I value the bond that we as humans have with the rest of the ecosystem, and think that we have a responsibility to keep that environment maintained well. It is the beauty of evolutionary theory - that we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sort of a Catholic Wiccan.

I was raised Catholic and when I discovered Wicca (which just sort of clicked with me and was something I agreed with with every fibre of my being) I couldn't just throw away everything I had ever been taught and tell myself that the Catholic religion was false. Also I wasn't happy as a Catholic and found it very hypercritical, I can't just switch off faith, and although I consider mysef to be Wiccan, I still have some of the Catholic beliefs I was brought up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am a christian. I was raised as a christian as far back as I can remember. Why? It is what my parents have taught me to be true. Now, being 21... I am starting to ask myself "Is this what I believe?" I am leaning towards 'yes'.

Thanks for the banner, Sombolia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I?m a christian to.. Well no. Sweden is a christian country so almost everyone are christians. But me, no. I don?t go to church or praying or anything like that. And I don?t believe in God or anything the bible says (all you christians out there, don?t hate me!! ). My god is Mufasa.. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was bapistisef Ipisciabalian (Is that how it's spelled?) but I beleive in Native American/ African Shamanism. It is NOT Voodoo. They are different, Voodoo is the Black arts in which Sorccerers bring the dead back to life with frog poisin. It is only practiced in Haiti. I am not Voodooist. Am Shamanism. I am told by family, if we had a family religion, We would be Buddisht. Because, it is more of spiritualism than religion. Wait, what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    I have no religion, and I do not want or need one. I am against orgainised religion for the most part, but will not say I am anti-religious; you can worship any deity you like, but you should never let that effect your judgement of other people and your readiness to help them. People should also think for themselves too; do not follow something blindly.

ditto on that

even though i have nothing agesnt relegion ppl they can belive in there "fake friend" if they want...no seriesly i have nothing agesnt ppl that belive in gods and stuff ....as long as they dont try to bang it in me...like if we talk abut something bad our bad exepriens in my past and he suddenly says

"its god testing you" our some **** he/she have for that secend and forever being my mortal eniemy...stay out of my personal life whit reliegun and stuff and youl be fine..

what bothers me whit some religus ppl is this...

"they pray something like "help me throw this " our something like that...ok lets say the person makes it throw that "hard time" and you say...

"see i told you ,you could do it..:"

and then he goes like..

it wasent me its all thank to god he answer d my prays....

" i seriesly have to force myself to keep my mouth shut...i mean come on...there is no higher power that helps you throw stuff..its all thanks to yourself ( thats what i think)

but to answer the thread and stuff....

no i have no relegion...i slightly belive in spirits though but its nothing like religion.... why becuse my famely dusent belive our go to chirch....but my parents always told me that i could belive in anything and they would respekt that...

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Avatar of Earth
    Voodoo is the Black arts in which Sorccerers bring the dead back to life with frog poisin.
    That's kind of an unfair generalization...voodoo is actually much more than the stereotype of zombies, necromancy, sorcery, satan worship, and/or black magic. Don't believe everything you see/hear in Hollywood.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Wicked
    That's kind of an unfair generalization...voodoo is actually much more than the stereotype of zombies, necromancy, sorcery, satan worship, and/or black magic. Don't believe everything you see/hear in Hollywood.
    I know!...Zombies have their own religion!...It's called Scientology...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm an atheist/agnostic.

Basically, I do not believe in a god/deity of any sort, but being that it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a god I'm not of the opinion that the nonexistence of god can ever be portrayed as a fact.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to things I can't see or prove but I do have some personal spirituality that is a meshing of eastern philosophies (such as Buddhism) and actual scientific understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Born & raised Roman Catholic. I was actually confirmed a couple of months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was born Sunni Muslim. and believe 25 prophet and 4 'kitab'
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was born and raised Muslim and believe that there is only one god without parents, children etc. He has prophets and Jesus is one of them, Muhammad being the last.

I still don't understand why Christians and Catholics believe Jesus is the son of god. In Islam to affiliate someone with God is one of the most serious sins you can commit.