Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming: Truth or Ficition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Global warming: Truth or Ficition

How many of you think global warming is a true issue. I have not developed a opinion for myself yet. And, to the mods, I looked quickly and could not find a thread with this actual topic, so if there is one I am sorry....

Thanks for the banner, Sombolia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to believe myself either. Some say it is the global warming, and I think with the way we have treated this planet, it's no wonder.

But some scientists say this is just a phase and that there has always been warmer and colder seasons in the earth's history. Who knows..

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    global warming is a true issue for sure, if temperature will rise high enough water gonna cover over 90% of the world sinse sinse ice will melt in north and south pole.
    that is quite a serious issue even, but in the way we live, there is not much we can do about it.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    global warming is an issue, but as it is a naturally occuring thing, then i dont think there is anything to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well this is quite new field of research. The current state of global warming science can't provide definitive answers to large variety questions. There is certainty that human activities are rapidly adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. But does this gases warm our planet? This is the basis for concern about global warming, but there is no proof that this happens so it's more prognostic statement.

As atmospheric levels of greenhouse gases continue to rise, scientists estimate average global temperatures will rise as a result. By how much, how fast remain uncertain...

There is a lot of factors, more natural than human, that affect our planet's temperature and the scientific understanding of these other factors ? most notably natural climatic variations, changes in the sun's energy, and the cooling effects of pollutant aerosols ? remains incomplete.

Is't there a reason for us to be worried? Yes! But it's not truth, at least we don't have any scientific proof for it so it's more fiction than truth.

Edit - interesting only USA rejected to sign the Kioto aggreement on global heat effect but noone really care - why . Think about it .

Hakuna matata,
    Le Roi Lion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes global warming is happening, it's a real issue. It has happened before and it is happening again. However, scientists and stuff are concerned about it more now because it's occuring at a faster rate than what it usually does becuase of our contribution to it, and usually where the earth would eventually be able to balance itself out again, they're afraid that it won't have time to adjust.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Global warming in my opinion is truth just like the truth that Dan has crabs hehe.
    Members I have had the pleasure to meet: STM [x2], Sharifu [x2], Taneli [x2], King Simba [x4], Shadow [x1], Nathalie [x2], Lucy Lioness [x2], This Land [x4], Daniel [x2], Nephilim [x1], KanuTGL [x2], Revo [x1], Naline [x1], FCSimba [x9], Leorgathar [x1]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe that global warming is real and is occuring every day. However, I don't think that the effects of it are totally obvious yet. Hopefully, they wont be totally obvious until at least another 100 years, when I'm dead and could care less. But it seems that at the rate of pollution we've been creating in the past 50 years, we're going to experience extreme global warming soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Le_Roi_Lion
    Edit - interesting only USA rejected to sign the Kioto aggreement on global heat effect but noone really care - why . Think about it .

Personally, I don't think it'd do much good if it did, as there'd still be an out-of-control pollution problem. I think the best thing for the environment is good research, and good research comes from a good economy; the Kioto agreement is not practical for a good economy. I've always thought that it was our brains that got us into this mess, so they sure as hell better get us out. Yes, picking up trash along the road helps, as does reducing air and water contaminents, but I think it'll be the information that we don't know today that'll save all our *** tomorrow.

As for global warming, I don't buy it just yet. I think that the scientists who support the theory (notice I said theory, not hypothesis) that the earth goes through a warming and cooling cycle on a regular basis have shown good, solid evidence, whereas the opposing side relies more upon circumstancial evidence (though that's not always the case). Personally, I think the answer may be both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248
    As for global warming, I don't buy it just yet. I think that the scientists who support the theory (notice I said theory, not hypothesis) that the earth goes through a warming and cooling cycle on a regular basis have shown good, solid evidence, whereas the opposing side relies more upon circumstancial evidence (though that's not always the case). Personally, I think the answer may be both. [/B]
    That's what I actually said .

Originally posted by Xinithian
    Hopefully, they wont be totally obvious until at least another 100 years
    You could say 1000, 10 000 years because the computer models used to forecast global climate change are still ill-equipped to simulate how things may change at smaller scales (local temperature, precipitation changes, altered weather patterns, soil moisture changes). So even if we accept the hypothesis that the human activity does affect the climate notably, there's no theory what will the global warming cause .

Hakuna matata,
    Le Roi Lion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really don't know if there is really such a thing called "Global Warming". From what my science teacher said (he would never lie to his students), that the earth goes into phases. There's a warming up phase and there's a cooling down phase. Right now apprentaly, the earth is in it's warming up phase.

Though I hardly ever pay attention to the news. In my american studies class, my teacher started to freak out that the ice caps are melting away and that polar bears are going to be extinct at the end of the century. Heh, I should pay attention to the news more often. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Truth.

I mean, I doupt this is turning out to be another warm age. We are the ones pumping pollution into the atmosphere, and it is our problem. We need to start doing things to assist in slowing down this process, and perhaps even start reversing it. We are out biggest enemy. I just think its funny how this is a topic that many turn a blind eye too.

There is also the problem of Global Dimming, give this link a look:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...5/s1325819.htm

Scary No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From some sources I have read, I have gathered this: Yes, the Earth is getting warmer, but no we aren't the ones contributing most to it. The amount of CO2 etc we contribute is not nearly as much at the Earth itself produces and contributes. It shouldn't be hard for people to imagine that if the Earth has gone through periods of cold, that it can also go through periods of heat as well. If we do want to reduce our pollution and the small amount we do contribute, I believe the best thing to do would be to develop a new energy source, which is being researched at this moment. Also, I read that even if the Earth got warmer by the predicted 6 to 9 degrees, we would easily be able to adjust to the change.

There are only two things I dislike about these convos on this topic, and those are the people who treat this like a doomsday scenario, and those who decide to make humanity look evil. I haven't really seen that here yet, and regardless of what causes it, I highly doubt that if we stopped all of our pollution tomorrow anything would reverse or stop. Basically, we need more information on the matter, and need to develop a way to deal with it if/when it does happen to a degree (no pun intended..lol) that affects us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Only-now
    The amount of CO2 etc we contribute is not nearly as much at the Earth itself produces and contributes.
    Really Not trying to be a smartass lion or anything but where'd you get that info from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Only-now
    There are only two things I dislike about these convos on this topic, and those are the people who treat this like a doomsday scenario, and those who decide to make humanity look evil. I haven't really seen that here yet, and regardless of what causes it,
    Why is that, people are the cause. But face the facts, humanity is the skin of all evil.

♩ "Summer's going fast, nights growing colder.
    Children growing up, old friends growing older.
    Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
    Make each sensation a little bit stronger." ♩

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree somewhat were the only ones smart enough to end life as we know it, lets just hope that doesn't end up happenng

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by S0nique
    Why is that, people are the cause. But face the facts, humanity is the skin of all evil.
    Prove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248
    Prove it.
    I can't. But I'll let humanity prove it to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A wise moderator once had a quote it their banner that went something like: "We are shaped by our choices. So, we can not change who we are. But, with each new choice we can change who we will be."

Thanks for the banner, Sombolia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lionloversam
    A wise moderator once had a quote it their banner that went something like: "We are shaped by our choices. So, we can not change who we are. But, with each new choice we can change who we will be."
    Do we have the power to shape our lives, or are we predestined to be who we are? If our Fate is but one amongst many, then whose life, if anyone's, is real? If our lives are indeed the sum-total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be.
    -The Inner Mind/T O L*