Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Creation - Work of God or Work of Science?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SpiritWolf77
    Yes, anyone who feels the Bible is -entirely- erroneous and contains not a sliver of fact is just plain naive. Even if I consider the Bible a mythology...all mythologies are ultimately rooted in some fact. I'll definitely agree with you there.
    I agree. I think what tends to be the problem with some people and religion is that people get caught up in trying to prove their religion right that they miss what the religion is really about. I doubt religion is really meant to hold the secrets to what the universe is as much as it's meant to hold the secrets to one's own enlightenment. That's why I lean towards the view of it's not what religion you practice that matters, but, rather, what's in your heart.

I think Gandhi had a good quote on the issue: ?I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.? That quote helps me keep things in perspective....and sorry if I went off on a tangent...it's 4am...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ?nathalie?
    Ok, so I am plain naive, because I don't believe in any sort of religion.

You can't force people to believe, so I don't think you can call everyone who doesn't believe in the Bible naive.

It's people's own choice if they believe or not.
    Um, did you read my previous post? The really long one? I am not a Christian, not a member of any other religion either. I'm an atheist. You completely misinterpreted what I was saying methinks.

I was replying to Roog's comments about archaeological evidence for some of the stories in the Bible. I'm simply saying that obviously any story, from a Greek myth to the last movie you saw has some basis in reality. Especially myths. Most people would agree that Poseidon did not send a sea monster to eat Laocoon when he warned the Trojans not to accept the Trojan Horse, but most people would also agree that the Trojan war probably did happen.

I was simply saying that even if I don't believe in the Bible as literal fact, I assume plenty of the events described were based on real events and real people: i.e. I do think Jesus was a real living man who was crucified, I don't doubt that early coastal civilizations were affected by a "great flood" when sea levels rose, and I'm pretty sure the Jewish people lived in Egypt at one point in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe in God not because I was told to or because I fear a world to live in without God.

I believe in God cos of the beauty of nature, the world, and everything. I find this in detail like in a petal, or a drangon fly's wing or even solving a complicated puzzle or maths problem.

I belive that God designed everything through the big bang, evolution etc. not how its explained in the bible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kapasa
    I believe in God cos of the beauty of nature, [...]
    Weak argument, really. It's easily countered by examples of things less pleasant—from things such as disease, disfigurement, death, corpses, to simple things like creatures, plants and landscapes of a less aesthetically pleasing nature. Not to mock your belief (by all means, this is not an attack; please, follow what you will) but what you've said seems a little too idealistic for the real world.

"What a strange illusion it is, to suppose that beauty is goodness."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well the less perfect things in the world like you said about diease etc. are there so that good can exist. Otherwise there would be no good or evil if either good/evil did'nt exist. well thats just my opinion and i don't agree, i find that the world is far too complicated, diverse for a God not to exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kapasa
    well the less perfect things in the world like you said about diease etc. are there so that good can exist. Otherwise there would be no good or evil if either good/evil did'nt exist. well thats just my opinion and i don't agree, i find that the world is far too complicated, diverse for a God not to exist.
    The beauty and ugliness of the world...much thought and meditation has been done on such things, and enlightenment is always plentiful. Perfection is subjective and, by some opinions, considered to be nonexistant. I believe in God, but not in the direct way of traditional Christianity (as I am a confirmed Roman Catholic). I choose to look at finding God, Peace, the Light, etc not necessarily through the books and rituals of religion, but rather through the goodness and love we can accomplish as an individual. To me, true goodness is one and the same, no matter what religion you practice or if you practice religion at all.

When I have meditated on the idea of heaven I have often wondered, since being human is being imperfect and involving a varying degree of evil...is heaven even possible? When we die, we are judged on our hearts and conscience, but does that mean we can still sin in heaven, or is perfection a condition inherited in heaven?

It is also 4am...We must keep that in mind, too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmmm this is all very interesting. Personally Im not too good on 'proving' anything but to get back to the start of the world, quite frankly I'd rather believe that a divine being created me and the world I live in, rather than us all being some freak of nature.

For those of you who do seek to prove this either way - God Bless. I could be mistaken but I dont think you can scientifically prove the existence of God, its something you 'feel' or just know within yourself. But of course to feel this etc. you have to have an open mind.

Anyways I dont mean to preach.

Cheers