Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Your Jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congratz HK, that's very awesome news

Sure I've posted in here already about my job but can't be bothered to trawl back through the other pages to look so appolagies in advance ^^

As a lot of you know I'm in the Royal Navy and was down the Falklands on and off for the last two years when I'm sure I posted in this section last, which was fun and interesting being all the way down in the south atlantic. So after one shattered and crushed finger (which thankfully I still have, negative as much feeling) and smoke inhalation from the one fire we had on ship I'm back doing a 'safe' desk job back in the UK for another year working with the marines.
    Members I have had the pleasure to meet: STM [x2], Sharifu [x2], Taneli [x2], King Simba [x4], Shadow [x1], Nathalie [x2], Lucy Lioness [x2], This Land [x4], Daniel [x2], Nephilim [x1], KanuTGL [x2], Revo [x1], Naline [x1], FCSimba [x9], Leorgathar [x1]

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, my, goodness.

So, I'll summarize where I'm at with my job as simply as possible. The word, "sh** on" is almost there but not quite ..there.

Back in June of last year, I was making below ok pay on the physical side of security. Rumor spread I, and two others were eligble for promotion to supervisor. I didn't care either way, but was concerned one of the candidates would get because he was not efficient nor someone I could work beneath respectively, and that was felt across the board.

I was then asked if I'd work in the back with systems, totally different aspect of security. I said I didn't want it permanently (due to working nights, not thanks). They said I'd be a fill in for a man who had to go to his base fo PT in the Army, once a month, a Saturday night. I was a flex officer back here. I say back here like I've been back here for a while, hehe.... as in, I went from one night to 7 months within that week. He was deployed and I was his fill in. Hilarious, really...

I've been on nights (going batshit from isolation) for a while now. First month I basically told them, Look, the pay for the required tasks and the night shift is not going to work, And that day, they upped my pay, rather nicely I might add. Very hush hush because the other guy back here they had for their days I'm working with ..let's say he might be voted off the island and isn't up there where I'm at. Butthe systems team got lucky. How many physical security grunts are going to college for systems and programming? So of course I work well back here. The other guy did physical security all his life and doesn't know the difference between e explorer and google chrome..not his fault but, he shouldn't have taken it either.

Well, I adjusted to that nice pay. I've battled my depression and anxiety on nights, got over that. Meanwhile out there, the waft of supervisor position was getting to one guys head and it was a nightmare out there. So I started to like my island back here on nights away from them and in with systems guys on the bvigger company side. Then everything was cancelled on the new year. We didn't win the bidding on those other accounts, so our chief was staying and no promotions. Awkward for that dude, who had been walking around saying. When I'm boss! and calling us "His people."..like whoa, don't even go there..I've been here twice his time and on top of that, the others have been here for years, we aren't anybodies anything.

No word if this army guy was coming home. I reached out sevceral times, warned my chiefs I was going to take spring semester classes certain days so my schedule is kind of decided.
    Now, the guys back here in systems want to keep me. Ideally, when the guy returns, they want me to replace the other not-so-good-grunt on days back here.

I'm standing in the middle of all this, paws up and without words. Operations up front wants me back desperatly, and systems back here wants me to say, pretty bad.
    But these people are not my direct employer. I'm contracted security. & my boss for security told me yesterday -

I'm going back to physical / operations starting February 9th, on days (finally! right?) - I will lose 4 hours a week (36 instead of 40), and lose basically 550$ a month in paycut. Mind you they are telling me this in the open, around other officers and then the chief asks "What I think you were making $x.xx out here before right?" ..I just said, I don't know. and then they asked, This is good news right? Really? You don't want to know what kind of news this is..

We're having this discussion right now? In public? This is why stuff sucks already - poor management. & I wasn't asked anything EARLIER in regards to 'does this fit your schedule?' or 'Hey would you like to lose 500$ a month?'. So I'm irritated. As soon as I got to my car I calculated my earnings...

There goes my trip to Cancun, because I gotta have a savings.
    Sure I can afford to -survive- on that income but that's just a steep drop for someone who lived on that for over half a year.

Tonight, the chief in systems back here asked if the other guy was returning. I'm sitting there thinking, Why isn't MY boss talking to THIS boss about the changes in staffing?..it is so, unprofessional..if my eyes could roll to the back of my head any farther I'd black out for a week.
    Well I told him, and he starred at me with the same thoughts I'm sure. They really want me back here.

But here's the kicker - I can't, because the other guys post hours would not work with my classes.
    So, Monday through Wednesday, 0600 to 1800 in Operations it is.

Thanks.

My overall plan is to finish up college QUICKLY. Starting either Summer or Fall semester I'll be on grants and I'm using that money to get way ahead, savings, pay off stuff and then I'm getting out.

My advice - steer the eff clear fo small business' in the aspect of long term stability....unless you like to bend over and spread your cheeks for a nice ride.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What a strange and compliated situation at your job Utora o_O

My contract might get renewed for the 2nd time.
    It ends February 23rd, but it's extremely busy right now, has been since November. I'm the only full-timer working right now (and even I've been out for about 5-6 weeks due to my US-trip and being sick after it).

But yesterday I got an e-mail that went to all new employees from the past year, that on March 18th we have to be at the head office for some lectures.
    So either it's getting renewed, or that e-mail will be awefully painfull, haha!

I don't know ... I'm doing a bit better now then a while ago, when I didn't really want to get a new contract.
    But on the other hand, for what I need to do, it pays very well ... I'm just not in the mood again for a new evaluation and hearing what personal stuff is wrong with me (like being anti-social apperently).

Just have to wait and see I guess. Normally I should know about a week before my contract ends.
    I don't feel I should mention the e-mail to my supervisor (who was in CC in that mail).

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, that previous job I had ended somewhat painfully (lies, gosspis, bla bla, and I wasn't going to stand for it anymore, so it was a principal thing).

My last day was February 24th.

Somewhere beginning of June I had an interview at a psychiatric center for a part-time job (I was specifically looking for a part-time job).
    I didn't get it there, but they e-mailed me, asking if they could forward my ressume and info to another center they work with.
    They did, and a few days later I get called for an interview there, which was June 26th.
    June 30th I get a call, asking if I have plans Monday July 13th. No? That's good ... you got the job then!

So yeah, starting this Monday, part-time job, every Thursday off (Monday & Friday 6 hours, Tuesday & Wednesday 4 hours), doing administration & billing.

Very exhited, and extremely scared, as I have only done the billing thing during my internships over 10 years ago.
    But people say, even if you have done it before, they all use different PC systems, so they need to teach you how to use them anyways.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Congratulations Natalie! You will do just fine I'm sure of it.
    We call it baptism by fire here, you just get thrown into new systems and learn best by doing. Considering systems and PC stuff can change overnight..everyone is always learning anyways lol. I wish you the best of luck! (for your nerves too, I hate the new starter anxiety)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Good luck nathalie in your job, i hope the best for you there, hope you make a lot of friends there.

In my job this week, there were the birthday of the oldest worker of there. She made 86 years of age, and unbleavable 67 years working at the company! She is also very lucid and curretily carry one of the most importante parts of the company: the financial departamento. sure she is na example for all of us.

Me and her.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wauw, 86?
    They bumped up the work age just a few days ago here. You can't retire if you are not 67 years old.
    That basically means my dad will die working. He's already not that fit anymore ever since his heart attack.
    And some people just aren't as energetic at a certain age then others.

I'm not sure about my job.
    People are very nice.
    But the things I have to do.
    They tell me what n do, I do it, that's it. At the end of the day I don't really know what I did :/
    Its not appealing to me (yet).

Only been 2 weeks, so it may all change, I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My late step grandfather retired 5 years before he passed away, What's weird that it was a government owned film classification, he could retire around age of 55 but I don't why he wanted to resume until the age of 78? I guess that's one of the mysteries that he take until the end of his life.

For folks who wondering I'm self employed as a Producer and drummer, I spent quite a money just to help me and my bandmates to self produce, I only present during recording as technically I'm the "mixing" guy. No, I don't participate on writing but I know how to mix and record on the DAW.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You can get an early retirement, but there are so many rules to even get that if you are "just a factory worker".
    I believe it's somewhere between 55 and 60 years old.
    My dad didn't qualified for it

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That is amazing Thiago! You really have to hand it to those individuals who stay with a company so long and maintain a high work ethic and great personality.
    I may never be one.

As for retirement - invest. Well, over here anyways. I like to invest in mutual funds, low-risk stock..sometimes play with the high-risk. Put it all away. We do the 401K here savings plan, good to start early.
    I do not see myself staying with a company getting their retirement. I mean, not now anyways, and those who do that I imagine have to be with a good company to sustain themselves, etc.

..... when i retire, I want a sail-boat with a motor, but to primarily sail the seas around the world. Need money, lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do you live in the States, Utora? Just wondering what you mean with "over here"

Now that my daughter is two years old, I've started to work again. Well, not really. the first week is full of meetings and preparations, but next week we'll finally get started at our school. I'm really excited and I hope I can deal with the new situation. Having a small child, my husband living and working abroad... (at least until the weekends).
    It's not that easy, but I'm glad my mother has moved to our town so she'll be able to help out.

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You've been at home for the past 2 years?
    Maternaty leave in Belgium is only 3 months, hehe.
    You can choose to not take it after the baby is born though, and postpone the 3 months, but only till the baby reaches a certain age.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's rather similiar here in Germany, too.
    Mothers can stay at home for 8 weeks after the child's birth. However, with Kiana things were a little bit different. I could stay at home for 12 weeks, because she needed some extra care since she was decared "small for gestational age". That's because she only weighted about 2300 grams when she was born. She was such a small little doll

After 12 weeks, I decided to take a "parental leave" from my job. I think that's how it's called. It follows the "maternaty leave" and so I was able to stay at home for up to 3 years which is really great. But I only chose 2 years, because of financial reasons as I didn't get my salary during that time. Isn't that obvious XD
    Thus my husband had to provide for the three of us. Meanwhile he got a new job abroad, but back then things were really difficult. But with no relatives around and a small child at home, it was the only option I had and I'm glad I could spend so much time with Kiana. And I did get some "supporting money" for about 10 months so that we were able to pay all the bills from the hospital and such. Actually, this is quite confusing and it wasn't much compared to a regular salary.
    But together with our savings we somehow got around. So yeah.. now that she's 2 years old and can go to the "kindergarten", I'm back at work.

I'm glad because I've really missed it! Of course caring for your child is nice and all, but there are so many times you just get a cabin feever. And it's also great that I could go back to my old school. That's also something I don't take for granted. it was possible, because because many people come and go at my school and normally, people don't want to go there voluntarily. It's quite a "rough" place and we have a lot of problems to deal with but hey... it's home!

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here in Brazil, mothers can stay home for 6 months, starting one month before the baby is born (in cases of 9 months pregnancy, If baby born before 9 months, the mother can spent the 6 months after the baby is born. Often they combine with the usual vacations, meaning they can stay up to 7 months absent from work receiving full wage in that period.

Dad's only have 5 days off .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    3 days for the dad here. But I believe not so long ago it was changed to 5, not sure, but did change from those 3 days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirauni View Post
    I'm glad because I've really missed it! Of course caring for your child is nice and all, but there are so many times you just get a cabin feever. And it's also great that I could go back to my old school. That's also something I don't take for granted. it was possible, because because many people come and go at my school and normally, people don't want to go there voluntarily. It's quite a "rough" place and we have a lot of problems to deal with but hey... it's home!
    Yeah, who doesn't like a good shootout in the morning with kids you see later in class. xD
    But my deepest respect for still going there, although I think this is a complete waste of your teaching talents.

Now that I'm finished with my Phd, I think it is time to move on and do something different. I recently got a well-paid offer for a job in London. Okay, the "well-paid" is relative, when you want to live in London and the job description doesn't really suits me. I'm not that kind of person who can socialize very good with customers (plus I don't like it much) and probably I need to cut my mane for this. Ughh
    I still have some other applications running and in the meantime I stick to my old job, which is quite okay, but I fear when I don't try to change the field in the next couple of years, I probably never will. To see and learn something different at least for a few years is a good experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My brother and my in laws (male) could only get a week off for the husband, My sister did get a 3 months off because like my mother he refused to stay home being idle (Other than taking care of the baby). Both of my mother and my sister have a schedule ethic (principle) so they don't want to waste their life living in idle.

My mom hates the fact that she's retired now, I mean she is glad that she got to rest but something didn't hit her very well.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think you are idle when you have baby. At least you got your paws full with all the little brats I know from family and friends. ;-)

Interesting, that many people work towards retirement, but when they finally reach the age, they don't want anymore. I hope I will never be like that.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I work 40+ hours a week with 13 credit hours of school on top of that.
    Monday, I work from 0600-1400 and have class from 1600-2200. I return to work Tuesday from 0600-1400, have class from 1800-2100, and work then on Wednesday from 0600-1400 with class at 1400-1800. Thursday and Friday I work 0600-1400. Weekends I am off, doing work for school anyways.

OK.

I am contracted security. I started on the physical security side, your typical sit a gate, drive in an SUV, deal with terminations and escorts, etc. I did that for less than a year (6 months about). At that time I was the leading officer for a promotion to co-supervisor. The second runner up was the default, this guy Charles who is in my opinion a flake. I have this problem with writing anyone off in the work place who is not competent. This guy admits he doesn't care and does not want stress. Wants a leadership role ....

The company we are contracted to, it's a HUGE credit card company. This site is alllll information systems, the data centers, staff that operates it..where the decisions to rule all decision get made. One of the Headquarters for North America offices. So the scope is HUGE. They have a department in the heart of the building that is an operations and risk analysis center. They monitor all 200+ global accounts, badge systems, CCTV, alarms, staff, high risk travelers (to high risks areas or our offices in high risks zones), monitor data restricted travel, get intelligence reports etc. It can appear isolated in there, but there's a reason...a lot of information in one place. They started phasing contracted security in to do systems related work; badge and alarm monitoring, CCTV work, helpdesk support, phones, etc. The actual employees are free to do analyst stuff now.

They pulled me day one because I was recommended by chiefs of security. So I opted out of the leadership role (it is a dead end, in my opinion). Charles said he'd be a backup in the operations center, but wanted physical security. The work is very easy in there when you figure it out. Good money and my entire approach was "Golden door of opportunities bite your lip and give them hell!"...you get in there, the world opens up for you in other departments. We've had hire turnover because contracted security is apparently not bright people.

The biggest issue has been laziness, officers just don't action things.
    I've been there for over a year and was interviewed for a few spots but lack credentials...also am not very interested but interviewed for good merit. Someone asks you to interview and you decline, they remember that well enough. It's a fine line to walk in corporate life.

Well......we need 6 bodies in there, 4 on full and 2 backups. We have 2. 2 bodies. Me, and another guy who is outta the military. Our backup is Charles.

TUESDAY, I'm sitting there at 9am and the boss for physical security says we have a problem. Charles called off. Our alternative is Josh, that new guy...but I feel protective of him because he is competent, does well and a fast learned but already we are tapping into him for this BS thats ridiculous. Charles flakes off work a lot, and he's a co supervisor...let that sink in. I said I'd do it and had to take my one free excused absence from English 102. I suggested to have Charles rotate and he works my Wednesday morning; we both get our 40 hours for the week and no overtime is billed to the account. That boss starts calling Josh. Freaking stupid, she does not listen to me. Josh calls me in frustration wanting to help but he'd need a babysitter, his wife would have to change times, etc I told him to disregard it, I can work it - it was between me and Charles.

I worked 16 hours straight with a less than 8 hour turnaround and then another 8 hour shift then school...because Charles wanted off on his Friday and we all have a guy at work that does this crap.

Come to find out, he called Josh in on a holiday here so he could get off 4 hours early for a BBQ, and told Josh that. Josh being green and seeing his co supervisor call, he does it..and works a 16. I told Josh don't ever do that again. He is not required to do this, and I do not want him stretched thin.

Wednesday, my boss knocks on the office door. Her boss comes in, and his boss comes in; the heat.

is someone termed? are we all getting the ax? our company never takes care of is, when they show up it means they want something or are telling you to go somewhere.

They gave me a big raise. They told me that that department is going to become its own separate contract and they need an account manager, and if I would take the job. & that position pays very much.

My concern is I'm not cut out for it. I think I am a good adviser, and i am confident enough...too confident. Having a leader over me to say "Stop being the hammer." is what works. I am hoping I am tactful enough to handle those beneath me. I can tell anyone to do their job, or fire a person..but to nurture them to become leaders also? I'm a bit too stone cold to do it delicately.....if they are sensitive...it'll be troublesome. Maybe this is a chance to grow. I am both excited and also cautious; a lot on my plate.
    The most relieving part was that they told me everyone I had trained, inside and outside the department, has stayed and can do their job proficiently. I'm glad my format isn't too callous.

So it is GOOD NEWS in my job for ONCE. The job is still stressful with these new systems, but I am solving things these days, getting my department recognition anonymously by being ahead of the game because I know what I am doing. I like that freedom - to organize things and make them work the right way, and get the most efficient result. To go from an operator to have 6+ people beneath me is exciting, but also an uncharted path.

I had to report Charles to the operations leader. I usually would not report people because I'm not one of those people. I'll tell you personally or let you get yourself terminated...unless it's something like theft thats detrimental to us as a whole. The leader in there is pretty high up....he's been telling me to monitor things for him and report back when he is unavailable, so I did it. I realized then, that he's known about this contract to be and has been getting me to take leadership, which was already happening...I've been managing these people without realizing it.

It may be easy to think I hate people at work, but in terms of work I see it very logically. If you are unwilling to learn and do the best you possibly can, you do not get my respect. If you are going to take the low road and lay around for your pay, you not deserve promotions and/or recognition....you don't deserve money in my opinion. You committed to a negotiated terms of service when talking a job. If you have an issue, find a job elsewhere. I'm sure many of these people, even Charles, are good hearted people...but a good heart does not keep a company alive alone. It takes a balance of that and hard work..and it's a lack of hard work that has caused recent issues to collapse down onto me and others..HUGE things. So now as soon as I see these officers try to work back here I chase them off. I am not the mindset of "Take whoever we can to fill a slot." I'd rather have to do the overtime and do it RIGHT, than put a body there that will get someone killed or breach our security inadvertently.

Who I am at work and who I am at home are like night and day. there is a time for the heart and a time for the hard labor and reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I got an update, I'm going to be part of a big gaming festival on the mid northern part of the country and I'm the music performer there, Covering one anime song and original song there. I managed to find my old colleague from the broadcasting college and I think my realization to make a first big video game program going to happen. I can't wait for both to happen, as a performer and a artists or editor for the gaming news show.

(12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group