Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your Jobs

This thread got deleted as well, so I'm restarting it.

I have only ever had 1 job, and here's my story.

I worked as a dishwasher at Steak N Shake (a restaurant here in the US), and I was there for a year & 4 months, and that first year was great. I got along with everyone there then the General Manager left and it went downhill from there. I only lasted 4 months with the new managers. The reasons I quit were due to poor management as the 2 new managers didn't know how to run the place properly, my hours were being cut for no reason at all & my anger was getting out of control that I would have called 1 of the managers the N word & would have been a danger to everyone & myself, so I quit before it got to that level.

I get Social Security checks for my disability, so I technically don't need to work, but I want a job to have extra spending money therefore I'm looking for another job though those 2 managers that gave me hell are gone now, so my first option is to reclaim my old job since there is one manager there that I like, so I might have an advantage there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think everyone knows that I'm a science teacher. I'm teaching 7th grade right now, but I've been thinking about moving up to high school here in the next few years. I like my job, I just get frustrated with some of the things that the administration pulls. They make some pretty poor decisions sometimes.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I applaud you, I could never teach middle school. Too many hormones.....*shudder* I teach art at an elementary school that goes from Kinder to 5th and, let me tell you, by 5th grade I am ready to wash my hands of the attitude. e_e You are a special person to be able to handle 7th graders.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unemployed. Boo...

Last (and only) job I've had was as the assistant band director at my old high school. It was mostly, well, assisting the band director: office work, cleaning, running errands, etc. And also dealing with high school kids, which was the worst part I mean it wasn't so bad since I was just out of high school myself but there were definitely a few points where I got really pissed at various students, I'm not sure how teachers do it honestly!! It was a pretty sweet gig though, really flexible hours, and of course my boss was an old teacher of mine who I got along really well with. Also, I got to go to Disneyland for free! Working half the day but still, nice.

The only problem was that our payment schedule was really weird due to bureaucratic school district BS, I never knew when I was actually getting my money and it just wasn't worth it for what I was getting paid.

I've applied at a few places since I left there but no callbacks yet. ): I'm a student still living with my parents so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to be able to help out, and have some extra spending money.

As for like, a career I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm interested in journalism and politics, but also stuff like video editing, animation, camera work, etc. So I dunno, I'll see where I end up I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Currently working 30 hours a week at a hardware store, woo! I've been there for five years last november. I was getting really bored of it. The only reason I came back to it after my last trip to america is that I couldn't get anything else. I Was a checkout chick for roughly 4 years, super tired of that and was lucky last year to be offered a different role. So now I do price integrity. It's early starts, but I have fairly regular hours, don't have to deal with customers quite so much (I honestly hate customer service, I'm not a people person. I mean, I'm nice to customers and handle customer service well, I just don't like doing it), and while I have a schedule and standard that I have to keep, I basically get to do the work the way I want to and organise it my way, just as long as I get it all done. So it's nice. At the moment, it's kinda stressful since we have stocktake in 6 weeks, I'm meant to complete the price audit cycle in the five weeks prior, yet there's seven weeks of the price audit cycle left... no idea how I'm going to squeeze it all in, but just going to have to do the best I can. My plan is to take some of my annual leave shortly after stocktake, can't wait for that time off.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I work in a supermarket on the checkouts (also a checkout chick. ) I've been there since January now, since it was a new store. I quite enjoy it, at least I get along well with the people I work with and most of the customers seem to be nice. I've only had a couple of rude ones since I started... one was stupid enough to forget his ID (we do a "Challenge 25" thing where I work, which basically means if someone looks under 25, you have to ask for proof of age) so when I asked him for it since he was buying alcohol, he kicked off and started swearing, saying that he hasn't been ID'd in about 10 years, that he found it inconvenient because he had to go somewhere else, etc. Sorry, but if you're stupid enough to forget your ID in the first place, then I don't think you're gonna have much luck elsewhere.

It's not that stressful either, at least you can sit down if your legs ache and stand up if you want to stretch your legs. I only do 15.5 hours per week (don't ask me why they didn't just round it off to 16 hours) but it's something, and it's enough for me to get to see Leor. I'm just glad I'm not unemployed anymore.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a Webmaster and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Technician - been doing this for just over 4 years now and can't really complain. It's frustrating at times because I often run into people who seem to lack common sense and/or the most basic of skills (like people who can't figure out how to sign into their own email), but that's just the way the world works...and regularly reading ClientsFromHell.Net helps me keep things in perspective. Fortunately, I haven't had a client (yet) that I thought should be submitted to that site, but I figure it's only a matter of time. Sometimes, it's like herding cats...or people with heads that are full of cats. Cats. CATS EVERYWHERE!

But yeah, it's not bad. I have a steady supply of coffee, a great boss (though he is a bit unorganized), health insurance (which is a VERY big plus), and a paycheck that covers my basic needs.
    I really can't ask for anything more.

Before I had this job, I worked in retail. Two words: never again...or, if I must, for a company that isn't run by an incompetent adminisphere. I am by no means an expert in how to run a business, but I know a bad business decision and/or bad managers when I see them.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right now I'm designing training programs on how to eliminate a culture of gender based violence for every college student/staff who will enter the university I'm a student at for the next 5 years.. no pressure it's pretty high stress, and since I'm almost failing out of school I don't think the extra work is helping, but since I'm going to school 5000 kms from home I need some way to pay the bills. I also sell zines, art and tshirt designs online and I've made much more doing that then I ever thought I would.

Past jobs have included a bookstore clerk, a starbucks barista (never again), and a waitress.

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm a cashier at a store called Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer is a store that sells almost everything. They have a grocery section, a deli and a Starbucks, clothing section, electronics section, home and garden section, and they have a gas station outside. I've been working there on and off for a few years.

Retail is definitely not a job I want to work at long term... Doesn't pay very much, and like Azerane said, I'm like her, I'm not a really a people person. I am nice to customers, but I usually don't start conversations with them while helping them, like some other cashiers do. Don't like dealing with rude people, but luckily that doesn't happen very often, most people are nice. But it's a nice temporary job for now. The people I work with are nice. I get paid a few dollars higher minimum wage, I get 32 hours a week most of the time, I have a lot of vacation hours saved up, and my husband and I get health insurance through my job. Also, Fred Meyer makes it convenient to buy things. If I need to buy groceries after work, I don't even have to leave work, I just buy the food in the same building after I get off from work. I pretty much buy everything there, clothes, video games, any home items I need, gas for my car... The employee discount is nice. And I've become a more coupon savvy shopper since I started working there.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Today i made 6 years working in the same job

Im a Public Emploed working at the enginering council of my state doing administrative tasks. we can be allocated in several areas of the company, i spent 2 years working as attendant, but now im working in the office, organizing the process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got another job today - I'm training horses! It's only a few hours per week but I'm training the horses of one of the most well known farriers in the province and it's the highest paying job (per hour wise) that I've ever had

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbaspirit View Post
    I just got another job today - I'm training horses! It's only a few hours per week but I'm training the horses of one of the most well known farriers in the province and it's the highest paying job (per hour wise) that I've ever had
    That's so awesome! I'm happy for you I wish you the best luck training horses ^^

I don't think this is news for anyone really, but I'm a soon-to-be dental surgeon. I already have a dental office along within my dad's office (he's an ophtalmologyst, so we share some areas). I work along with an assistant doing any kind of basic dental treatment, but I'm capable of making dental prosthetics too, be fixed, removable or total dentures. In my office I always look for ways to reduce the patient's stress or fears, and try to make the procedure as nice as possible, while also educating the patient in how important dental hygiene is to prevent future complications as well as how to properly perform it. I also know how to make eye prosthetics for my dad's patients, so we're like a team on that, hehe.

If things go as planned, in a couple of years I want to move to England with Tara, and work as a dentist there. I'm very hopeful for that

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I work in Security.
    My form of Security is in a call center environment monitoring alarm systems, calling on anything from fire alarms, medical and burglary alarms to communication issues and providing technical support. Lately they've got me doing Data entry things (creating new accounts for dealers (like a new business we contracted, Dollar General for example)) and then SMB (Secure Managed Broadband) where I spend 4 hours in a phone call with an AT&T guy trying to synchronize routers and all that WONDERFUL STUFFS. I like technical fields, yet this job is time consuming.

I work 12 hour shifts, by night from 1800 to 0600. It is rotating which means, no college. Not practically anyways.
    I've been there almost a year and am trying to officially be placed in the Data entry department which means M-F 0800 to 1700 and better pay but, we'll see.
    It's a decent job, good medical coverage, accrue vacation and sick time each pay period. Lately the management is becoming the elite micromanage department and I am getting tired of being the one of two people out of 12 on our shift that knows anything and is responsible for everything because we know everything and choose to be responsible while others make more and more mistakes, knowing better but they want their "call stats" to look good so they blow through everything. Their punishment? They don't have to take incoming calls or handle high priority things - I do. Yet, we're all paid the same? Yeah, no. I don't know about that, especially when I clean up their messes, etc.

Nothing is more embarrassing than a disgruntled customer you have to grovel to because another clownbag on your shift didn't adhere to the rules for the umpteenth time and it's technically our fault. I really want to do just technical field, no customer service lol.

But, I have a good job overall!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a programmer at Centrum holdings s.r.o. It's large media house focused on creating content webs. Like we have got second larges internet newspaper for Czech republic (http://www.aktualne.cz) and more. I'm senior PHP developer and junior in iOS development. But my contract ends by end of may and I move to London. Wish me luck with looking for job there. I'm optimist, I've got plenty offers already because my senior experience.

I like to program. It is creative and yet very technically interesting job. It is like creating own puzzle and trying to keep it as much effective as possible. I'm glad I choose this profession. I'm also quite free man. I have opportunity to work from everywhere where is good internet connection and travel a lot. Also chance for decent money.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Moving to London? Cool! We have to meet up then sometime

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @nathalie: Sure thing! You can even sleep at my flat to save money for hotel if You would like come to London. But first I have to discuss it with one particular lioness if she will be not against. I won't give her reason to be jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Moving to London, huh? How exciting! Good luck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lweek View Post
    @nathalie: Sure thing! You can even sleep at my flat to save money for hotel if You would like come to London. But first I have to discuss it with one particular lioness if she will be not against. I won't give her reason to be jealous.
    Haha ... well, I know my boyfriend, he doesn't care, lol.

But I'm not the kind of girl who would do that do a guy who's involved, but thanks for the offer

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Kenny keeps telling me to find something I could sell online or something.

I have been braking my brains over this what I could make or anything like that to even sell

I'm so lame and uncreative, haha!

I just can't catch a break though, it's the one rejection after the other lately with these job adds, and as of July I'm going to have to get by with 380€/month.
    I won't be able to afford medication, therapy, doctor for my problems, won't be able to pay off all my bills, then there's food and all those things you MUST need. And living together with someone I would really like to pay my half of the electric bill, and the heating, as I just feel that's fair.

*sigh*

It's like these people see my name and go like "oh, Nathalie ... no thank you, we don't like the name".

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Selling stuff online is about the point I've arrived at as well, haha.