Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: changing to a new server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the offer azzy ^^, if i need help tweaking etc i will let you know =3.

I said I was going to have a goand making a forum on my day off, but I decided to do it this evening after work ^^

I present

http://leahalalela.boards.net

Only done one skin at the moment, but i will do more if we decide to move =3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks great TL! Now I don't know whether to register or not.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooooh, it's so new and shiny!
    Nice job, TL!

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @KS - Ive turned registration off at the moment =P

I don't want to start anything until we all have a final decision. I made this forum just to show everyone at the moment and make sure they like it. hehe ^^ And thanks for the compliment ^^

@Dare - Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wow - that looks great!

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Preeeeeetty.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That looks great, Adam! I know it's just the looks of a skin right now, but my faith in Lea is being restored... little by little

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like the proboard idea, it is coming a long nicely I see. Also, having used probaords a lot for everything my past I can soundly sya it will not be going through the death throws like VBulletin has provided.

Dare makes a really great post. We do not have the staffing or the ability to sustain Vbulletin for optimum performace.

I'll just say, I'll move as many times as I have to to remian with the Lea group. 40 server crashes wouldn't stop that. I'm just happy to see a new opportunity for stability around here so we can keep the people we have and grow as a community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NOW it makes more sense... when I looked earlier today, it was just the plain old proboards default skin and no offense, but I couldn't work out the big deal. It's working now though

It really does look great TL, pretty much an exact replica. Nice work.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm warming up to the idea of changing over... Because if we did it this way and transfered to Proboards (come on, there are no arguments for staying with vBulletin at this point) we wouldn't lose what little fragments are left here straight away and we'd have plenty of time to copy and repost what we want to save on the new board. We could still go back and take what we want from here to over there.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not so inclined by this idea, because from bad experience in the past with these forum hosters we know that it can turn out pretty badly. For instance when ezboard were hacked, we lost most of our posts and they were not recoverable. I won't go for this solution when there is no easy way of backing up the posts and no feature to import the old ones from here. Since this community is really strong, it survived the past data losses, but usually this means the end, especially when it happens more often and therefore I don't think it is worth to risk it.
    On the other hand a more permanent solution would be nice as well, but as far as I remember we already payed for the vb license, right?

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm sorry I didn't have chance to post yesterday even thought I did check the thread out. First of I must say that the beginning TL has done looks great, if that is the route we going to go I'll make sure to provide everything I have for the site including all the other themes. What comes to keeping domain name. YES 14 dollars a year for keeping the domain name is like nothing as we already paid 3 years on this URL. The only issues with Proboards I can see after reading things about it is mainly the advertising as I like to keep lea clean. Now when I checked they charge 7 dollars for 50,000 free page views and that is per calendar month so if we started the service on 20th and paid 7 dollars we would have to pay again the first of April. I also looked up how much parking the server on server and I think Hostgator was the cheapest I could come up with and that was 3.94 I think per month if paid for 3 years at once. They do allow SSH access, unlimited Bandwidth, unlimited space for one website. That is if we stay with Vbulletin. Now the main reason I didn't post anything yet on here yet is because I haven't yet been able to test combining the database from June last year with the one we have here... the problem I'm having is installing Vbulletin on localhost which I did do on my own computer but as Vbulletin 4 is not fully compatible with PHP 5.4 and as new XAMPP has that I have to find older version. I did manage to install the June's and current database on XAMPP without getting any errors so both of them should be good but before I get Vbulletin up I cannot test this. It might not be until the weekend I get to play with this too much thought as I got transfer to the day shift which means I work 6am to 2pm and I'm pretty sleepy after work as I'm really not the morning person, but I'll try everyday a little bit if I feel mentally capable of trying to figure it out.

Also as I was asking earlier if anyone knows anyone or anyone here has the first forums corrupted database I would like to take look at it as I was reading that it's possible I can pull out members as well as some of the posts from that forum as the part that was corrupted shouldn't effect on tables with posts and members. I know I have it somewhere but as I wont be going to Finland until the Summer the earliest it would be nice if someone else could provide it

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Really though, isn't all we want a forum to post on? One that is stable and doesn't disappear every once in a while? At least, that's all I care about at this point. Unless we can get a hold of the resources Dare pointed out I'm really very, very hesitant to keeping this forum on a private server after all we've been put through time and time again. Why can't we just hand it to professionals and get on with the posting?

-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aye, sorry to repeat myself but i have had a pro boards forum for 7 years and i have never had a problem with forum software or servers. Going with the odds we have here i think its a safer bet to use proboards.

As for the add free, you don't pay full amount twice, the price goes down as the end of calender month gets nearer, so you only pay for what days you have left . Didn't lea used to have Ads before and we were all fine with it anyway ?

Well my offer is there if you guys want it, if you decide to go with pro boards i will make the rest of the colour schemes for Lea and all admin powers will be given to STM's user account and he can then continue to do what he does best =) . I will then go back to lurking around but always a PM away if he or anyone gets stuck in how to do certain things on the forum.

P.S @STM - I have sent you the old database too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ZOMG how exiting. I knew someone would have it Thanks TL! No matter what way this goes, if I can reconstruct it in any useful way I will make sure to share it.

What comes to Lea having ads. Yes Lea mk.2 had ads the whole time, pretty much the sole reason the person running the site was to make money off of it. And I do think the first Lea had ads on it too for the last year or year and a half. I think... and main reason Mufasa let it go was because it was costing him more than he was getting out of it. And the reason we don't have ads is because I do not like ads, not a one bit. I'm rather bothered by the fact that no matter where you go online, you do run into ads. The decision about if proboards is used and if ads will be kept or moved by paying monthly, will be solely upto the members here. I have never intended to run the board in any other way than the community wants it to go.

Now if you excuse me... I have meeting with the past...

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehe, i managed to somewhat decode the database, but didn't get far, tis fun looking at random posts in it now and then xP. I knew my OCD of keeping computer files would be of some use xP

As for the ads, since we are a small community we could just all install an ad blocker plugin into our browser xP.

But yes, we should all decide what we are going to do about the forum, like a poll or something. As i mentioned, if we do decide to move i will take care of all the skins and forum settings no problems, then i will take a back-seat and hand it all over to Yourself (STM) and whoever was a moderator just like it is now. ^^ But I will always be at hand if you need any help =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    haha I have my old computer files from 12 years ago still on my desktop in Finland but I didn't have chance to move on my laptop as my mom gave me her laptop like 3 days before I moved. Anyways I did get error with Admin part of the database but besides that it seems to be at least transferable on Mysql so at least there is a chance to take the post table from it. Not sure where users were saved on that as back in Vbulletin 2 I think they had far less tables than they do on new one... currently I only see 26 tables where this forum has 250 or so

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was just about to mention an ad blocker. Much easier than having to worry about paying for the service to remove ads.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I used AdBlock when I had Proboards - didn't even notice that there were ads.
    XD

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^ Ditto :P The only website really figuring out how to bypass my adblocker right now is Facebook, haha.

-----