Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: changing to a new server?

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally after playing around for couple of days I was able to get none of the three databases I have to stop giving me any errors or claims that one of the tables is corrupted... I did have to empty the poll table thought on two databases so I guess we wont be getting the vote results on old threads back. None the less it's exciting to see if it's possible to recover the first database, even if we still go the proboards way

Now I just gotta figure out how Impex works which is a program made for Vbulletin to combine databases. So far I haven't had luck getting it to work. But then again I'm getting sick it seems so making sense on things that don't make sense to me is not the easiest of the tasks

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there any way of transferring post content to proboards?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know. I have learned it's possible to switch databases types between phpbb and Vbulletin. The question is if proboards allow users to provide old database. Thought if they do I'm sure they want it to be already converted as I doubt they want to go through that trouble.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ask on the Proboards forums perhaps? I hear they're very good at quick responses

And that about the database is exciting. Good luck, STM! Hope you can recover something!

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not 100% positive on this, but I vaguely remember a discussion I had in the days of yore about transferring content from a vBulletin to a Proboards - I believe the answer was that it couldn't be done.

Another thing to consider about Proboards - if, for some reason, you wanted to transfer off of Proboards and back onto vBulletin or onto a phpBB, I don't think you'll be able to export your Proboards content and import it into another forum. There are site scrapers you can use, but I believe those are against Proboards ToS, so unless you're willing to take a chance of having your Proboards deleted (or do a a LOT of cutting & pasting), your content is pretty much stuck there.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I think even if we can port data there, I don't think they give you the backups even if they make them regular bases. So if we go that route then that is the Lea we are going to have. Even if down the line we decide we want to go back to Vbulletin or do something else we're going to have to start fresh again. Not that we're not used to it XD

And I haven't been able to import anything exciting yet... I think the only thing I was able to import so far was Avatars all 170 000 posts failed, 22 forums transfered but gave me a database error in the end which made me restart the import process... and I can't import threads without the forums and posts fail because threads are not there. But so far no place I gone to have said directly that it's not possible. So I keep trying I know the data is still there

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think it is as easy as using some import software. You most likely don't have another choice than writing a shell script to import other and corrupted databases, even e.g. for merging old posts with current user IDs you need some kind of mapping to correctly identify users from different databases to have a proper connection between them. That's quite some work, I unfortunately also had to do a couple of times and the most quickest way was always to directly write it on your own. Once it is correctly imported into one of the major forums db it can be easily converted into anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If it wasn't corrupted it would be that easy as it's Vbulletin database. But as it seems to be corrupted pretty bad I can't say yet if there is anything I can do to get anything useful out of it. I just submitted a question Vbulletin forum about errors I'm encountering to see if anyone there can show me in new direction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was able to get 965 posts out of the database yesterday night thought couldn't do anything with them as I couldn't pull out any threads or users yet... but it's a start. gives me hope at least XD not that 965 out 178200 posts is that much... dang that is a lot of posts lost thought...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any updates on whether we'll be moving servers or not?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I would also be interested in any updates.

On a semi-related note, I just got this a few minutes ago:

Browser used: Mozilla Firefox 19.0.2
    Time error encountered: 9:20 am EST

Obviously, I am having no trouble posting now but I figured I'd make a note of this, just in case.

UPDATE:
    Encountered the same problem again a few minutes ago (circa 2:30 pm EST) in both Firefox and Chrome Version 26.0.1410.65.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    STM's parents have been with them for a while, though I believe they are gone again now, but I'm guessing he had very little time these past 2 weeks.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think it was just the database server that gone off-line for a few moments, so its no reason for huge concerns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you need technical help with Lea, I'm at your service! I'm senior PHP developer so I can help you with everything you'll need. I can do hacks in PHP, administrate DB or LAMP server. Whatever you'll need. I'm going to read this whole discussion to get myself inform about situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoPE View Post
    I think it was just the database server that gone off-line for a few moments, so its no reason for huge concerns
    Normally, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
    However, this has happened to me 3 times today, over the course of several hours (most recent being within the past couple hours, between 5-7 pm EST) and from two different locations (twice at work, once from home, different computers, different ISPs, cross-browsers). If it had been a one-time thing, I would probably write if off as a random hiccup, but considering Lea's history, I'm not 100% confident that that's all it was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh I didn't even notice people had posted here. I been pretty tired past few weeks... pretty much ever since I got switched to day shift as I'm not morning person at all and needing to get up 5.25am is just never going to get easy for me XD...

Anyways what comes to moving... I haven't made any moves on it. It does seem majority of people prefer going to Proboards. I mean it seems to me besides me and handful of other members that is pretty much the way people do want to take the board to. It will mean starting over thought as they don't allow databases from other boards so it would be Lea mk4. Staying here is fine now, but whenever something will happen I cannot restore anything even if I'm taking backups now. So yeah I'm currently just sitting on tight and waiting to hear that the community talks it over and weights every possibility so we can do what gotta be done.

What comes to the corrupted database if anyone is interested... Sadly it cannot be restored... the backup got interrupted leaving the database without thread and user info making it pretty much impossible to import posts into the threads without writing pretty much the whole user and thread table from the scratch and with amount of threads there is it would take probably months if not years to rewrite it.

What comes to the database error... unless the problem persists for hours I'm not really concerned about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for all your hard work Sadiki

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am not necessarily up for beginning once again, but when moving to a different server implies that it would be better over time, i then guess it'll have to do.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Please don't post things that aren't usefull, look at the date of the last post before you post something This is an old thread already, there's not going to be a server change

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu