Originally posted by Sonkakee
And there lies our BIGGEST problem. Our diplomacy. The fabric of peace and war alike. Once it starts, it never ends... The United States is the centerfold of the world today. Being diplomatic has a great responsibility; from negotiating peace to ending a war. Terrorist are just the opposite; they'd like to throw us a monkey wrench, just to see us react to it. But what are they really fighting for, I bet they don't even know ... Supremacy? Hardly. Destruction? Absolutely. As long as there is a fight to be fought, there will always be a war to be won....
True, even the presence of a foreign nation, no matter who it is, will stir up resentment among some people...even if it doesn't lead to an extreme like acts of terrorism. But with my previous statement I was referring moreso to the United State's ability to use its power to obtain what it wants...even if that means invading a country or overthrowing a democratic government to replace it with one (not always democratic, to my knowledge) that is more friendly to the United States politically, economically, etc. Acts such as The Bay of Pigs, The Bay of Tonkin, and the Iran-Contra Affair show that the United States doesn't always play nice to get what it wants. I'm not saying that the US is bad or anything, just that it will abuse the power it has when the people leading the country feel the need to. And acts like that will lead to a lot of resentment in the parts of the world that they happen...especially a part like the Middle East where tensions in the area have a history of being rather high.