I'm going to state my opinion of this matter quite frankly; I hate it when people wear the confederate flag. I believe that the war was fought over slavery, because slavery was too tied into the south's economy. If slavery was abolished when the south was still a part of the union, the south would have been crippled economically. However, the thing that bothers me about the confederate flag is the mentality in the south during the reconstruction. There was no reason for them to be so racist towards blacks after the 13th amendment. But it was that whole view of white superiority that kept the "southern mentality" alive. The south was bitter towards blacks and the north because the 13th amendment showed that blacks were truly equal to whites, which proved that the south's previous mentality was wrong.

I know that a lot of people wear it because it's the "cool/rebellious" thing to do... but if you look more into the issue, it's really displaying a racist mindset from the reconstruction of the south. I see it being similar to people wearing swastikas to show signs of power.

EDIT: Seeing as though other offensive remarks and signs are prohibited from schools (or at least from what I have heard), I see no problem with banning the confederate flag for personal statements.