Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reconnecting members

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can reset your password for you if you want, Dare. Just let me know.

I agree with a lot of what's been said already. Forums just aren't the popular way to communicate anymore. There are so many Facebook groups and other more "immediate" ways of communication. I personally prefer forums because they generally allow for more thoughtful conversation since there isn't a character limit like there is on the more current ways of interacting with fandom. Is it slow around here? Yes. Because of Lea though, most of us are friends on Facebook, so it's not like we'll lose all communication if something else happens here. We also have the Facebook group, which could of course be more active as well. I think we're doing ok for a place that's been around so long and had so many crashes and issues recently.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm also agreeing with a lot that's been said. The main portion of posts being made nowadays is on topics like "The last thing you purchased", or something facebook-ish like that, which interests me here about as much as it does on FB (, which is not a whole lot).. Either those, or TLK merchandise which just isn't my cup of tea for other reasons.

Seeing shadowland dig the "Same Sex Marriage" thread from the grave made me read through it again, and it was a good piece of interaction. I'd like there to be more meaty topics like that. But alas, I can't think of any myself. And I'm afraid that most of the other people more interested in playing with serious discussions have gone away aswell. I do think that is still one facet of interactivity where forums outperform social networking sites. That and roleplaying, which has never really been that popular here anyway.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I second everything Kasei and HK have said. True, it's becoming more and more unusual for me to write long posts in any topic any more - writing takes so much more energy out of me than drawing now - but I too still prefer forums over places like Facebook. Facebook just becomes... too personal and close to my real identity for my tastes. Basically everything I post or comment on there is visible, which makes me very hesitant to comment on certain things because, y'know, not everyone on my list is a close friend that should know everything about me. The Lea group on facebook isn't private for example and I still like to be able to be somewhat anonymous online. On here I feel a lot more comfortable about talking about certain things, because even if someone I don't know is viewing the forum, they can't really connect my posts to me. ...if any of that makes sense. In short: forums > facebook. And I do wish Lea would be more active, but with the technical side of the site being what it is, I'm getting more and more put off trying to get on here

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    I too still prefer forums over places like Facebook. Facebook just becomes... too personal and close to my real identity for my tastes. Basically everything I post or comment on there is visible, which makes me very hesitant to comment on certain things because, y'know, not everyone on my list is a close friend that should know everything about me. The Lea group on facebook isn't private for example and I still like to be able to be somewhat anonymous online. On here I feel a lot more comfortable about talking about certain things, because even if someone I don't know is viewing the forum, they can't really connect my posts to me. ...if any of that makes sense.
    Absolutely agree. The privacy thing is actually the main reason I haven't gotten involved in any fandom stuff on facebook and why I don't share my facebook link publicly like I would my DA or TLKFAA gallery links. To me, those things are synonymous with my online persona/screen self whereas facebook is for my "Real life" friends and family. Not to say that people I meet online or through fandom can't or haven't eventually become "real life" friends also, but I think you know what I mean. I keep them separate because it provides me with a certain level of anonymity when I am involved with my various online communities. Which makes me sad because I am kind of a community person and sometimes feel I miss out a bit if I can't be in on the facebook fandom stuff. Almost makes me want to create a facebook account for "Kasei." xD

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Forums all the way for me too, I agree. Maybe it's something really small and ultimately unimportant, but I guess that one problem I have with Facebook are the 'Likes', I appreciate them, and I gladly give 'likes' to other people's status, but perhaps it's a bit too silent, you know, like it's a way of giving a nice approval to someone without having to write a single word. That can't be done here on Lea, and I'm grateful for that. It help us keep that friendly community feeling, and not just strangers approving each other, hehe.

Although on the other hand, yeah, I too am feeling unmotivated about posting here like I used to... and it can get a bit depressing, because that friendly community feeling I mentioned before isn't feeling as evidently as before, at least in the way I see it now. As for myself, I guess I haven't been helping it either. I haven't even really progressed much in drawing, or making figurines as I said I would, and I can't think of much to post about for a new thread. I would blame it to my last semester in college, which isn't giving me much of a break to do what I like to do (and when I have time, I feel drained and just feel like laying down and watching something on TV), I still come into Lea to see what's up every day, but I really miss feeling enthusiastic about it. Although I admit that I could just push myself and do better, and be the same I was here before the last big crash. I would really want that.
    Better become part of the solution rather than part of the problem, right?

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To the person who mentioned roleplaying: that was HUGE on Lea1!

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have realized I rarely post on Lea anymore and if I do it's most of the time just chatbox. I do check it multiple times a day, but I rarely say anything as I often don't have much to add. I don't know what the reason is behind it, but I guess I'm sort of disappointed in myself as far as developing and keeping the site up and running as I don't really have any knowledge on how to run a forum. But still this place is always a special place for me and I don't see anything changing for me as far as coming on Lea goes XD... I been here 9 years and unless everything is lost I don't think I'll be going anywhere. And face book or forum question... What is face book? Pretty much only reason I check it is my family and friends and to see what is going on Lea page on Face book... besides that I think I have only added 2 or 3 things on Facebook on my wall

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiki View Post
    I have realized I rarely post on Lea anymore and if I do it's most of the time just chatbox. I do check it multiple times a day, but I rarely say anything as I often don't have much to add. I don't know what the reason is behind it, but I guess I'm sort of disappointed in myself as far as developing and keeping the site up and running as I don't really have any knowledge on how to run a forum. But still this place is always a special place for me and I don't see anything changing for me as far as coming on Lea goes XD... I been here 9 years and unless everything is lost I don't think I'll be going anywhere. And face book or forum question... What is face book? Pretty much only reason I check it is my family and friends and to see what is going on Lea page on Face book... besides that I think I have only added 2 or 3 things on Facebook on my wall
    Agreed on the facebook part.))

I don't know what the issue is either, in terms of a broader conversation pool on Lea. I think it is,as everyone is seeming to lean towards - larger posts take more time. Which in my head, I ask myself, Why is it more tedious being older than when I was younger on Lea?

I think there was faster response time, more feedback previously. There were also more people....regardless, these days as others state, there's not much to respond. As for that to each their own, but I would like take more time contributing to broader topics here. It'd help also to take advantage of this when the forum is stable....it's having it's tantrums now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I also feel less connected here than I used to be. I don't post as much on Lea as before... it's either the lack of posts or discussions that I feel motivated to join in with, or the fact that the forum keeps going down and we keep losing loads of posts. Maybe I just don't see the point in making a big effort with my posts for them to just get lost. I'm more a Facebook person nowadays, although I would like to feel a part of Lea again and post as much as I used to. I feel I've grown to be part of this community over the years, so it's quite depressing to see it how it is.

As for the role plays, I remember them being a big part back in the day. There were many people getting involved and who were interested in them.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The biggest advantage of the forum is thought that it's easier to navigate than a facebook group in example, especially as a new member. I mean when I go on face book and see a person posting on one of my friends pages and even if I know they like Lion king I'm not going to add the to my friends, but as a member of a forum it's easier to be heard and recognized. Also I like the fact of having topics instead of everything being listed from top to bottom in order of posting. So I guess for me the format is not the problem as much as the fact that currently Lea is broken, there is no way around it. It's functioning where posting is possible and where most of the visible aspects are at hand. But as we currently have no control over database I cannot do too much... Not that I can do that much in general as most people know my skills with coding are very limited, mostly how I code is through trial and error and through Vbulletin forums or googling problems. Honestly if I know I could hand Lea over to someone else and know that it's going to be in good hands, I most certainly would, not because I don't care anymore, but just because I'm not the best person for the job.

But even if the forum is most of the time rather dead I still always like checking it. There is most of the times at least one or two new posts. I don't think I have to really go into details why this place is important for me... anyone who has been part of this community for more than a few years can surely tell and those who haven't are going to find out sooner or later if they stick around. And I know for a fact most people who still go here do feel the same way

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    We did have a great start though when this new Lea was put up.
    A shame problems keep coming back, and yet again for me, that's another reason I don't come here as much anymore, or even bother to make new topics.

I did my best before the crash, but since these crashes keep happening over here, I'd feel it's a waste of time, each time we build up this thing beautifully again, and then WHAM, a year (and in previous cases more years) of posts all gone, over and over again.

It's like, discouraging

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It is... unfortunately life is full of ups and downs. Just gotta learn to deal with them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^ But the amount of times that that has happened to Lea is now is honestly ridiculous. I'm not gonna repeat myself from my post in the server-thread and post the same thing twice, so I'll just stop here.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leorgathar View Post
    Although on the other hand, yeah, I too am feeling unmotivated about posting here like I used to... and it can get a bit depressing, because that friendly community feeling I mentioned before isn't feeling as evidently as before, at least in the way I see it now. As for myself, I guess I haven't been helping it either. I haven't even really progressed much in drawing, or making figurines as I said I would, and I can't think of much to post about for a new thread. I would blame it to my last semester in college, which isn't giving me much of a break to do what I like to do (and when I have time, I feel drained and just feel like laying down and watching something on TV), I still come into Lea to see what's up every day, but I really miss feeling enthusiastic about it. Although I admit that I could just push myself and do better, and be the same I was here before the last big crash. I would really want that.
    Better become part of the solution rather than part of the problem, right?
    Yeah! That's a great attitude.

I guess I can be more optimistic about all of this because I have only just discovered Lea so this is an all-new community to me. I feel like I've stepped back in time to when Lilymud was active, to be honest. x) It feels nice to post things and know that people are actually responding. So for me I feel like, "Hey! People are actually out there and taking part! Post awaaaaaay!" x) hehe.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, that and the other thing is.....

I kind of wish I was here on Lea for its active time of deeper discussions, but I was over on Lilymud. And let me tell you, having been on Lilymud, when I think of deep discussions all I think of is SpiritWolf77 spending days writing massive wall-o-text arguements--I don't know if she ever left her computer screen or slept!--and really the deep discussions were catagorically always about either sexuality/gender identity or evolution/faith.

The truth is, hashing out sexuality, gender identity and one's position on god in science, these are all things of vital importance to formative young adults, and the top tier of ages here just *aren't* anymore. We're fully functioning grown adults who have already arrived at our truths. No-one can stay up all night debating on the internet anymore, and SW77 has even candidly said in the years since that it was a certain kind of unhappiness with her life that impelled that need to argue, I know the ones I got involved with I undertook because I was overwhelmed elsewhere and felt the need to pick fights because of it. Thing is though, as you move into adulthood, you are the victim of things going on around you less and less, you control your own life more and more, and the freer you are to live what you believe, the less you feel the need to carry a soapbox and beat people with it or wield it like a lion tamer wields a chair defensively.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I come here because I more or less grew up with many of you and enjoy spending time with you all like an internet family because of that. Those old deep discussions just aren't of burning importance for me to have anymore because I've had them already. And if nothing comes to mind to start threads about, it's probably because you have had them already elsewhere in life to your satisfaction as well.

But my hope is in Lea not Lilymud because there ARE still younger people here. Please guys, just because I, or someone else who comes here for the "old home" factor, isn't starting those threads, isn't having those conversations anymore, it doesn't mean you can't. You need to and you should.....it's just your turn now.

....that "you" isn't anyone in particular, btw, it's a general collective. And this should probably really be more addressed to Lilymud than here, since I missed this party by a couple years it sounds like.... *rueful*

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
    I guess I can be more optimistic about all of this because I have only just discovered Lea so this is an all-new community to me. I feel like I've stepped back in time to when Lilymud was active, to be honest. x) It feels nice to post things and know that people are actually responding. So for me I feel like, "Hey! People are actually out there and taking part! Post awaaaaaay!" x) hehe.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with just the sh-----g around, lol. At least there's people here.....
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So it seems like people are agreeing on a few things.

1. We need more meaningful discussions that people find interesting.
    2. We're worried about working on a post and posting it and then to just have it lost in another database issue.

Number 1 is kind of easy to fix. People just need to make threads and post. There certainly is a lot going on in the world right now that could warrant some adult conversation.

Number 2... Hakuna Matata. Better say it and it potentially lost than to never say it at all.

That said, I'd rather have what we have here than a bunch of meaningless ego-stoking "ask so and so" threads like other places...

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.