Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One by One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sombolia
    It's called SYMBOLISM. Say it with me, now. Sym.. bol.. ism.
    Hehe.

And you can't really say that the show is about just animals. The characters in TLK have human characteristics, real lions aren't like the ones in TLK. If it were a show about animals, it would include a load of lions sitting around, doing nothing for the entire show, except maybe mating and eating, lol. The message being put forward in One by One is universal, just like all the themes in TLK.

You need to think about what the song symobolises, like Somby said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Katse
    [B]Because it's in Africa and the characters are played by African peoples, silly.

Uh no. Timon, pumbaa, scar and zazu. There ya go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hickoro Lioness
    [B]
    Originally posted by Katse
    Because it's in Africa and the characters are played by African peoples, silly.

Uh no. Timon, pumbaa, scar and zazu. There ya go.
    You don't get it, do you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes. I get it. The people who play Timon, pumbaa scar and zazu are
    not african american

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *facepalm* Just watch that in the middle of the night 3 years and 4 months from now, you'll wake up and be, "oh! Now I get it!":knowdees:

:woeisme:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's not what I meant. I meant, we're telling you exactly what it is, and instead you ignore that and look at the details ("But they're not African!!1").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Uh!No end to this one...Zazu, Pumba, Timon,etc. not being African is part of the show. First of all it's the way they act, then it's the way they talk that is different from the other characters (in England it's necessary for Zazu to be played by an English person cause they want him to have this accent - and it doesn't matter for other characters) and this people come from all those acting institutes and schools and know how to handle puppets. Then it's another thing...well...imagine the person who plays Mufasa or Simba to sing "the morning report"...I'd probably fall down laughing. Cause African people use their voices differently. Those differences may be tiny, but they're big on the show. They have a "white" Simba director in London (a guy who shows the actuall Simba how to perform, what to improve...) and believe me, It was really interesting how big the difference is.

And in the role subscription there are certain specifications about a character. Zazu is to symbolize something like a butler

Like I said, Disney's whole point is to give animals peoples characteristics...How would lions sing in your opinion...I guess Endless night would sound marvelous and the expressions of sadness, happiness...uh...
    :horror:

Maybe you should look at the musical in a different way...The animated movie was made for young people, children, the musical is a logical progress in getting a larger audience. Even adults, if you think about it, have problems with finding themselves, don't we? Maybe even more than children.