Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Debate: Experts say trophy hunting will save remaining lions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    Actually, when you think about it, the human population is actually extremely overpopulated. How many other animals that are the same size/mass as us have a population of 6 billion like we do? Also, we all know how much we consume every day... can you imagine over 3 billion times our daily consumption being used? It's simply unfathomable... I wish that others would realize this, and stop having so many children. I don't see why there is a need for some people to have more than 5 children. Sooner or later, our resources are going to run out if we keep reproducing at this rate.
    I wouldn't worry about the human population...I predict a little nuclear winter in the coming years...that or a huge meteor...Woot!...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The one thing I can say in defense of the article is this:

Regulated hunting would ease the amount of illegal poaching going on in some areas, possibly reducing the over all number of lions being killed in Africa. Reserves were wild lions are actually bred and then introduced into the wild strictly for the purpose of killing has actually helped to increase the over all species population, as well as avoiding issues where illegal hunting takes place in protected areas.

This is not to say I condone the hunting. Personally, I think lions are just going to wind up on the endagered species list along with the rest of the cat family, as being on the "threatened list" really hasn't done much to shake conservationists up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Akiko

we have little room on the earth
    Heh... bit of a broad statement there, don't you think. I mean, Scotland, NEngland and Canada come to mind. Oh, Russia too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    About the that human population thing, it seems a familiar thing here in Belgium, that people sometimes just get more kids for:

1. more child support money
    2. taxes will drop once you got 5 or 6 children (or could be 7, the number got lost in my mind right now)

I'm not saying that is always the reason why parents have more kids, but 'sometimes' you can just tell ... .

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    Heh... bit of a broad statement there, don't you think. I mean, Scotland, NEngland and Canada come to mind. Oh, Russia too.
    Yes...she should rephrase that to...we have no more room on the good parts of this earth...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How does breeding animals for killing help improve the population? I think a little more elaboration is needed on that..not to mention, that is kinda of cruel. I know we do it with cows, but we eat them...and we do not do the same with wild cats. I think that releasing one into the wild, and NOT killing it would help improve population a bit more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Humans can't take over every inch on this earth, though...for then...where would the other animals live? A lot of canada is wilderness, for example, and as the human population grows we expand further and further into the remaining wild places. Cutting down the forests to make more places for people. I guess I was thinking of it that way...people seem to think there's countless miles and miles of empty space on earth.

Yet we use up our resources so fast, and more and more houses and cities are made each day, to make room for all the new people that come into the world. If we continue to stretch our socities onto what free land remains, then sooner or later we may only have the national parks left as our wild places...if even they're safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lion_roog
    Yes...she should rephrase that to...we have no more room on the good parts of this earth...
    xD

Oh come on, Canada has some nice places... to ski.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    I don't know how much longer our natural resources will last, though. Also, farming and agriculture is hard to create in a lot of the northern countries, like Russia.