Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator Approval Ratings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion

In conclusion: There's no need for arguments like this to take place, especially over something so insignificant... moderators, you do a fine job, don't let anyone tell you differently... I was happy with the way the Lorna and Dekota saga was tackled for example, and in general I am happy with the way other problems have been dealt with. However, there seems to be so 'blowing out of proportion' going on; it really is not that bad here at Lea... I wouldn't go as far as KTL did in saying that you should give up being a moderator if you can't deal with this thread/Lea in general, but I would say that you need to step away for a moment if you're getting stressed over something like this...
    iFrame(.) *nodnodnod*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    moderators, you do a fine job, don't let anyone tell you differently...

Yes yes they do a fine job, But first of all. The Members have a chosen right to actually say the mods are doing bad, I mean look at the poll, It has a thing for "Bad job" basically, and you can't expect the Mods to open a thread and ask how they are doing and everyone just say "Great and dandy" I think by pointing out the things we hate about the mods.

Well, Not hate, Don't like or how things can be changed, Is a good way for the mods to improve Think about it, If someone tells you whats wrong with you and the way you act on a certain thing, Then don't you think you can find a way to change yourself or the way you act on a certain thing if you know what your problem is?

So I think telling people about there bad sides and or things that isn't right is actually a good thing, It gives people as I said, A chance to Improve

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I don't think anyone but myself really said that they were doing a bad job somewhat, But I didn't know what I was talkign about then. I don't see anyone who said they weren't doing a good job, Unless I flew by some posts (Which is probably what I did and I will be told off and an arguement will start again) But Just because someone says something they could improve on, Doesn't mean that the moderators are doing a bad job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, but it hurts when people scrutinise your work even when you're trying your hardest, and they concentrate on the bad instead of the good... sometimes, as a natural human trait, it's very easy to overlook the good and concentrate on the bad. It's just like in life sometimes you can think you're having a good day one minute, say for instance you won ?10,000 on the lottery... then for instance you could fall down the stairs and say it was the worst day of your life... Humans have a natural tendency to look on the bad side of things more than the good...
    True.

But if everyone just said the moderators were doign perfectly fine, and they weren't actually. Then how could they ever know what to improve on Simba? Sometimes its BEST to focus on the bad things that are going on just so you can solve them faster. Because wherever you go in the world, There will always be something bad/evil to come with you. Because no one, Is perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I think the main point of this thread is to point out issues that members may have with how the staff may do things (hence the negatives). Though I do agree that pointing out things we thought were good so that the staff can keep the in mind, I also think that it's important to focus on what can be done better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not saying they're doing a perfect job, but it seems that a lot of negatives are being concentrated on with a distinct lack of positives... It hurts a lot when you try your best, and put time into doing something, then get it basically thrown back into your face... I'm sure that most if not all of the moderators here try their best for the forum...

Correct, Every one of the Moderators here deserve a huge thank you, But Simba, that is the point of this thread, to identify the weaknesses probably in the Moderators, They wanted to know how the Moderators were rated by the members, so they are getting it, Good and the bad.

If you think about it, There isn't much a moderator DOES do.

Unless of course you want us to point out 1000 threads they have locked saying "This doesn't need to go on" or "No point for this being open anymore."

Thats mostly what all the mods do, Close, Merge, Open, Defend there rights,

Members.. They post, Defend there rights.. Thats it. I mean, There seriously isn't a lot that one can compliment the Moderators on but by the following is it:

1) The way they act
    2) Way things are handled
    3) Respondiblities (Which is way they act but who cares)
    4) Activeness in there forums, To show they do care about being a mod and helping out in the forums

And thats really all I can possibly think of, There is a lot more bad things than good because thats usually how it is. :| Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to put down the mods, but really.. This is the truth I do believe xX..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But it can't just be said that the moderators are doing a rubbish job, because they're not... what's the point of constructive criticism if you don't bother at least saying in which areas the moderators are good? They can't be doing EVERYTHING wrongly... How would you feel if you got basically told you were crap at moderating despite working your butt off for a forum? I know that Nathalie in particular has been working very hard to keep up with this forum, and STM went through a phase where he checked every single thread... Now that's dedication...
    This post is going to make me look like a complete jackass, (If everyone else can cuss I might as well also)

Well, If I were told that personally I would start to think of how I could change things so that the members couldn't complain about that certain subject or thing. The moderators shouldn't feel like "Crap" Just because people are stating the bad things about them and not as much good stuff.

The first about 10 Pages I think was about how great the mods were, now the last 10 pages are about how bad they are, No?

But in my opinion, If I was a mod right now, I would feel pretty damned good about myself that I at least am Making a mistake and can fix myself up. Because if someone points out a mistake at me, It boosts my confidence to the stars, Because inside I get the feeling "Hey, I can be even better than what I am now" So really, I don't see why the mods should feel bad. But its there feelings and emotions we are talking about, Not my own.. And really I do care for others feelings and emotions, Its just somtimes it doesnt show when I get into "certain debates and issues"

And I bet after this topic everyones reading my posts and thinking this

God damn Kovu is one mean *** person And if you think that, Go ahead. You have all reason to think that, and I don't really care what you think about me either. Because if you can say something to me then go ahead, I give you all right to, It doesn't bother me one bit.

And Wow, I feel good getting to swear :| Maybe we shouldn't have this rule roflmao. :P

EDIT:

Also, If no one was going to state the bad things about the mods, Then who else would? So I guess I am the only one who actually sees some false things with the moderators, and everyone else thinks they are great.. Hmm.. Well nevermind I take that back

@ Lea Moderators - Congratulations, I want to thank you all for being so dedicated to the forums, Mostly Nathalie who has been online everday since she got her admin status until today. That is a lot of devotionm, and a lot of other admins on other forums don't even go that far as to go on EVERY DAY and post at least once in her opinions on a thread.

Then to the Moderators, You guys are a great bunch of people here, Never have I seen such hard working crew as yourselfs, For really you do deserve some good compliments and I want to say, Good job on the way you have handled past events. The main reason why I'm going on about the bad, was I concentrated so much about the bad things about moderators for so long, I never took the time to look at all the good things they had done, and so for that, I am sorry but I do not know a lot that I can complete you guys on, Other than saying

Good job.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But it can't just be said that the moderators are doing a rubbish job, because they're not... what's the point of constructive criticism if you don't bother at least saying in which areas the moderators are good?
    Would you rather the Mods be damned with faint praise?
    (I apologize for using the word "damned" but that's the way it's supposed to be phrased)
    Ya know, most of the time I try to find some kind of positive reinforcement if I'm going to be critiquing something, but if I can't think of anything off the top of my head, I'm not going to pull some kind of pathetic "you did good" platitude out of my *** just so I can try to make someone feel better while at the same time I?m critiquing them. What?s the point of saying something if you don?t really mean it?
    1 sincere thought is worth more than 10 insincere thoughts.

I mean, I can say "Good Job" right now if you want me to, but I'd feel kind of silly saying that, considering how I don't view the entire staff the same...I work on an individual basis.

Really, it's not as if this thread has been a 100% Mod Bashing session...a lot of good, constructive discussion has come out of this thread.
    Has anyone been keeping up with the major topic points (for what this thread was original intended for) thus far? I gotta go back and reread this entire thread because I must have missed something...I remember the entire COPPA thing, and then the swear debate...how'd we get to the idea that this thread is exclusively negative feedback?

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know what was the main point of makeing this thread, I guess Nuka can give us an answer for that whenever he has time. But it really seems people are gathering here a lot of things that are bothering them and feedback is always welcome, no matter if it's negative or positive as long as it makes sense. To be honest it's not even possible to make this forum perfect as it is not possible for any forum to be perfect just because everyone of us share diffrend opinions and ways to act and there is no such a thing as right way to act.
    I don't know if makeing more moderators or changeing some in the group would help, sinse you can probably imagen yourself in position where someone tells you that something is bugging him/her and then after you act someone else tells that it should have done otherwise or not done at all. It is not just possible to please everyone and I can promise you all that all the moderators including me try to do everything to keep this place enjoyful place to browse for everyone.
    If someone thinks that we are here to rule and that we are bragging about being a moderators and that we think that we are in higher level then normal memebers, they are wrong and if someone in moderating group thinks that way they don't belong there.
    Every single Moderator have been a member before coming a moderator. And we are doing our job as well as we can, you can't blame us for not finding everything from this forum and if any of you find something there is "Report this post to a moderator " button for those cases.
    We are here to help you all, not to bug you or make you unconfortable to post.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish everyone would stop saying what the thread that I made is about, it's a bit rude. But that's beside the point, mhmm.

So yeah, what is this thread about? I clearly defined exactly what it was originally meant to be. For the most part I've been quite happy the results it has turned out as well. (Discussing swearing and COPPA, and problems that members have had or do have with the mod staff or a member thereof).

But back to the main point of this thread. The starting post I made stated

Originally posted by Nuka
    Before I begin this post, I want to say that I know there is already a thread just like this one. However since this is a question that can easily change people's opinions over time, it has been remade.

What better time to state how one feels about the mods then the beginning of a new year?

So, by all means let us know what we're doing right and wrong in your opinion. Feel free to give suggestions for improvement on our part, and feel free to offer up any suggestions for improvement to the forum that we might be able to carry out.

So.. without further blabbing from me.. how do you feel about the moderator, and administrator staff here at Lea Halalela?
    ^There's the beginning post in this thread (edited for spelling errors mind you =P )

I think though that my second post more better defines what I originally meant. And since I am after all the creator of this thread... I think when asked what this thread is for, my opinion on the matter just might have a bit more cred. to it.. but that's me <.<

Anyway, second post of mine:

Originally posted by Nuka
    I made this post because I remembered a similar thread being made around the same time last year (at least i think it was around the same time).

And the moderating staff should always listen to what the members are saying, after all we are working ont heir behalf, it would be illogical and just plain silly to pay no attention to them.

That said, as Utora stated there are real people behind these screens with real feelings. And while I personally and I believe the other mods as well accept constructive criticism, please leave it at that, as we have feelings as well. The active mods do their best, that much I do know.

I believe there is always room for improvement and would like to know exactly what we can do to make it better.

Though I count Ngatuny and STM as good dear friends of mine, I must agree that they haven't really been active lately, not that a good mod is a person who is constantly active. A good mod is a person who is responsible, not afraid to take action when needed, doesn't think themselves higher than anyone else in the forum, but also doesn't abuse the priviledge they've been offered. At least that's my definition..

I personally am very happy that members have come forward to say what the mods and admins need to know. I am sorry to see you go though Utora. The whole point of this thread is to help make Lea a better place to be in. I wish you farewell though if you have decided to leave, and hope that I have not offended you, for I haven't meant to. If so I wish you'd tell me what I did so we could sort it out.

And with that said.. any other suggestions?
    So, there you have it folks. Just thought I'd clear up this little condundrum for all o' us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The COPPA "issue" will be dealt with by Mufasa. He plans (don't know when) on upgrading the vBulletin version to 2.3.8. So a privacy policy mandating the bug isn't necessary ATT.

The swearing issue is still to be resolved, an amendment could be in the wake of the Pride Rules.

Yes, we the mods could use some improvement, after our lobotomy . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *raises paw* whats a lobotomy?? sorry to be off topic

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for pointing out the real reason of the thread, and I did see "Right and wrongs" IN your first post so I gave some bad and good, and it seemed to bring up a huge debate Oo.. Kinda glad Sonique did swear, GO SONIQUE Jk,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simbaspirit
    A technique formerly used to treat certain mental disorders but now rarely performed.

We don't want to end up like Flippy, do we?
    http://happytreefriends.atomfilms.co...pisode=flippin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simbaspirit
    I think he was being sarcastic. Although sometimes, Sonique, my friend, I wish you would just say what you mean to say without breaking out the big words.

Originally posted by Wicked
    I gotta go back and reread this entire thread because I must have missed something...I remember the entire COPPA thing, and then the swear debate...how'd we get to the idea that this thread is exclusively negative feedback?
    Those issues are indeed being worked on. I PMed Mufasa to look into fixing the current problem with COPPA registration and profile accessibility, though this is something that he's been planning for awhile. Hopefully that'll escalate things.

We will come to some sort of consensus about swearing since people seem to be concerned about it. So this thread will definitely not go to waste. =)

To address your question, Nephilim -- why this forum isn't 13+ -- in fact, it is. We will need to see about getting parental consent for those in the forum who are under 13 and ensure that it is received for new registrations. We have been lax about it in the past, but we can't anymore, particularly because it's been pointed out as a concern which unfortunately we've overlooked. But it's law.

So, guys and gals, the support is appreciated but we certainly aren't looking for a pat on the back. We have some good suggestions to work off of, and you are all encouraged to share anything on your mind about how we can improve the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Vidan
    I think he was being sarcastic. Although sometimes, Sonique, my friend, I wish you would just say what you mean to say without breaking out the big words.
    Ah, ya just know me too well...

*meditates and floats away into space*

Oh, look! It's Another Tomato!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is true, But if I were to hear nothing but bad news for a long time, It would get annoying :| but this isn't about the way I Would do feel about it, Its the way the Moderators of Lea are feeling about it.

I've gave already what I expect from the Moderators, And what I think they should work on, And it was a good feeling to possibly help out, And as Vidan said, Lea members don't feel bad to point out a mistake or something wrong or something you think the Moderators should work on. Point it out so they can fix it and possibly change and make it better

And with that, I do say, Goodbye to this thread since I don't see a point in Posting in it anymore :P Good luck with the rest of the Moderation stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would now, after reflection, like to retract my comments about Nephilim.

I am sorry, Neph.

I am sorry those I have argued with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cussing.

-"Cussing," and its relative effect towards the human norm:

It's a bothersome subject. Not just because it's socially inept, because it also brings a wide conundrum of problems. At this time, an amendment is pending to the Pride Rules, and most likely take effect in the near future. But before this is done, there are some areas of concern that need to be carefully "looked-over." There's a reference l|nk below to better understand the situation at its broadest peak.

-> http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing.htm (.)

*A forum-wide vote will be issued very soon to tackle this problem and hopefully it'll have an ending relevance.

More issues are being worked out ATT, Woes is doing an outstanding job of this; let's hope resolution goes well...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm gonna admit, I haven't read this whole thing yet, I'm too tired at the moment.

I just wanna say thanks for those who kind of stick up for me in here, meaning about the being on-line thing, and all that (I think STL said something about it).

Even though I know, that the things I do around here aren't always perfect and such.
    So I'm gonna try and change that.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu