Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you play an instrument?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Do you play an instrument?

I was just curious as to how many musicians we have on this board. We have plenty of talented artists here, which is awesome, but the musicians seem to be in hiding. I know you're out there .

I've played trombone and euphonium going on ten years now. I can sort of play trumpet, French horn, and tuba; mostly that was in conjunction with my studying to be a music teacher. I've got an electric bass and an electric guitar, though I'd hardly call myself proficient; I mostly just play chords. I just barely made it through my college piano courses, so I wouldn't really say I was much of a pianist.

Mainly I use the keyboard to compose music. I've written for concert band, jazz ensemble, and brass quintet, mainly, and had a few premieres in the US and Canada. I also used to arrange classical music for brass quintet and sell the arrangements on eBay to supplement my income while I was going to college.

Incidentally I studied trombone at San Francisco State with McDowell Kenley of the SF Opera Orchestra, Steve Thompson formerly of the Hiroshima Symphony, as well as Zack Spellman (tuba/euphonium) and Wayne Wallace (jazz trombone).

Lately, composition-wise I'm about to co-write a musical with my friend Jonathan Knott who's a director over at University of Notre Dame Belmont in Caliornia and also teaches at my old high school.

Alright, I have no idea what the point of all that was; I'm not writing a resume but I'd be interested to see what other instruments we have represented here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Piano is really the only thing that I play, my room mate is really good at any instrument you give him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i dont play any instrument

my sister plays Piano though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to play trumpet, but I really want to learn Bass.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    I used to play trumpet, but I really want to learn Bass.
    Oh yes, you did mention you wanted to learn upright bass. I do as well althought it would behoove me to pick up my trombone once in awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you should check out this guy on iTunes named Bass Man Bill Evans, his stuff is crazy. Download that song "chordal bass", it's crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use to play Trombone and Keyboard. I would love to learn the French Horn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im lerning my self to play flute.
    im also very good at Keyboard my sis have one.
    but its like the secend time i play it but i know one song alredy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nuka
    I use to play Trombone and Keyboard. I would love to learn the French Horn.
    I had difficulty with it as the embouchure is quite a bit different from the trombone, especially since I was trying to keep my trombone chops going at the same time. But get a good teacher and I'm sure you'd do well with that, esp. if that would be your main instrument.

Originally posted by shadow
    im lerning my self to play flute.
    im also very good at Keyboard my sis have one.
    but its like the secend time i play it but i know one song alredy
    Keep it going dude! I have very little patience to practice keyboard music, but with enough practice a lot of good music is accessible to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not musically inclined. Though, I used to play the clarinet, long ago! But, now I play a mean air-guitar. And Woes ya got some 'good stuff' going on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I play a buncha instruments. Six, I belive was the last count...

Trombone: In fourth grade, I joined the Elementary Band, as a percussionist (I wanted to play the Timpanis, to tell the truth ), but our band director, Mr. Vodo, sucked. I didn't sign up the next year. However, my sister was still in the band. One day, a couple months into the school year, she went to see the new band director, Mr. Aguglia (the second G is silent). Our mother and myself were present. We stepped into his small, cramped office. He pointed at me and said (and I quote): "You, look like a trombone player." I looked at him all confused. He handed me a mouthpiece (which I still have, and use), and told me to practice on it. After the Christmas break, I was in the band. It wasn't long before I was in advanced band, jazz band, All-County band, marching band...By the time I graduated, I'd won the John Philip Sousa award for my l33t trombon-ing
    I still pick it up time to time. I play a mean "My Lullaby", BTW

Recorder (Pipe instrument, similar to flutophone): I aquired this little horn from my sister when I was in fifth grade, because we were required to have one for music class. I quickly became fond of it for it's sheer portablility and total lack of need to warm up. My sister once tried to mention that it was technically hers, but she never played it anyway, so the argument was dropped. Now I take it just about everywhere. I learned a buncha songs on it, many from Final Fantasies 7, 8, 9, and 10, plus Lion King and some other random things. One time I got in a 'duel' with my girlfriend over the phone with it, but all she could play was 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' whilst I was playing 'Valley of the Fallen Star' XD.

Piano/Keyboard: While I've never been a pianist per se, I tend to play the thing quite often (Probably because it's easy to play by ear when you have a chromatic scale laid out in front of you ). However, anyone who knows what they are doing (my sister's friend Maggie, my friend Cameron, My sister, Woes) clearly puts me to shame.

Cornet (trumpet): My mother got this for me fur cheap from a downstairs neighbor. Never really got good at it, but I can play a few songs, such as 'Rythm Emotion' from Gundam Wing.

Guitar: I pick at it every once in a while, but can't play chords. I'd probably make a good bassist, if I had one.

Drums: As I said before, I was originally a percussionist. So I have a percussion pad I beat on occasionally, and a set of drums, formerly belonging to one of my mother's boyfriends, which I don't have immediate access to.

Flute: When my sister got her new uber-flute, I got her old student model. It's a lot different than any other instrument I've played, and feels like I hafta put way too much air through it to get a sound. I've almost learned 'Valley of the Fallen Star' on it, but not else.

Other random musical stuff:
    -I've been in band every year since fourth grade, excepting the first quarter of fifth grade, and seventh grade (issues while changing schools). I've also participated in every 'special' band I had the opportunity to, including jazz band, and pit orchestra for school musicals.
    -I took a year of Music Theory, but barely passed. The first half was incredably easy, the second half was well beyond my level.
    -I got my first computer music-sequencing program when I was no older than five. Of course, the music I turned out at that age wasn't exactly Mozart
    -I presently sequence music with my keyboard and laptop. I've almost finished my first MIDI sequence, "Ipsen's Castle" from Final Fantasy 9. I'm also working on a self-respecting version of "My Lullaby" (the ones on lk.org sound NOTHING like the one on the soundtrack >.<)

So...Yeah...

Okay, so the flute makes seven. I lied. Sue me.

[SIZE=small]EDIT: Crap. I forgot the flute >.<[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Impressiveness Shatara! XD

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can play something with piano and then some basics with drums.. but thats all

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That makes three trombonists so far. :nukasm:

Shat, what program do you use to sequence MIDI files?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Voyetra Record Producer MIDI Edition

...it came with my MIDI cable.

I was thinking of trying Noteworthy Composer...what do you use...?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I use NoteWorthy composer as well when I want to create a quality MIDi file for download. It's so easy to enter notes, adjust the dynamics, and enter multi-point controllers (MPC's).

Incidentally, looks like version 2 is coming out. Judging from the features list the printouts should look alot better, though I don't really use it when I want to create quality notation.

http://www.ntworthy.com

I have both Sibelius and Finale which I use for performance-ready scores. I like Finale a lot, but I can't say I'm impressed with Sibelius despite being told by other people that it's the best one out there. The note-entry just isn't intuitive. >.< Sibelius' MIDI export is superior to Finale, but I still can't control all the MIDI parameters (like vibrato and pitch bend) like I want to. These programs are way expensive, so they aren't really worth it unless you're a music composition/education major like I was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sonique21837?
    I play a mean air-guitar.

d00d! I play that too! :E
    Heh, well..I have a guitar thinking of learning how to play it one of these days

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I played the accordion for 7 years (now, that's a really looooong time agon, haha)

Now, I play bass for about 6 years:

And guitar, for about 7 years:

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Boos
    d00d! I play that too! :E
    Good times mate. ^^
    And very koolsome Nathalie. XD

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ps: don't mind the lion king sheets on my bed haha

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu