Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Revo's stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Revo's stuff

It's a bit daunting to be making thread for my own music projects . I preferred it when we had one big "Musician's thread" where I could nonchalantly hide behind other masterminds such as Safila and WEW who posted there. I don't really think my stuff deserves its own thread and I liked the way everybody was sharing together in a big thread. But since Kito and Safila already made their own threads and WEW doesn't seem to be posting much music *glares at Adam*, it would be redundant for me to make a thread for everybody to share if it was only me posting there.. And I guess this way people who don't care much for my musical ventures can more easily ignore anything that is posted here ..

Anyway, I was planning for months on a sweet interactive music project that I was going to launch here on Lea in junction with me posting some of my earlier covers. But because I can't get my studio set-up to work due to technicalities (= my laptop can't handle said setup and I would have to get a desktop), I'm doubtful if I'm ever going to get said project up and running, with school starting in a few months.. Therefore I decided I'd just create this thread as it is, without any connection to said project, which I'll still keep a secret surprise in the case that I someday actually manage to get it working .

Anyway, to cut the chase, I've uploaded 2 live performances. Both are from early May, one is video and the other is just audio. Being live, the audio quality is what it is.. I tried to edit the background noises out as much as I could.

"For God's Sake" by Newton Faulkner. This was filmed inside a local mall. The venting mechanism was causing the annoying humming noise in the background.

"New York State of Mind" by Billy Joel. I'm doing both the singing and the piano. I was supposed be accompanied by a saxophonist, but he didn't make it to the gig. This was recorded in a café. The mic might have been a bit too close to the monitor, which unfortunately makes me sound mighty boomy.

Edit: Oh, and just incase anyone's interested, I also uploaded a video of me practicing fire poi a few months back. It's not a performance really, just me practicing with music laid on top. If I do record any actual preformances, I'll surely upload them on that channel along with anything else poi-related I should record.

Video is here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep telling you, you're an awesome musician. Don't know why you aren't studying music at Uni as well

I stil love Elevation, have watched that a few times and then May You Never, but all your work is cool, and your guitar and keyboard .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't know you're into pop blues Revo. Nonetheless it is an amazing stuff on both track. Great audio files there Revo. And for sure I didn't know you can play piano perfectly. Amazing =)
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Senior Member Wide Eyed Wanderer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great stuff Revo, sorry I haven't made it into the thread before, I kept meaning to, honest!

It's cool that you're getting out there and playing...that's something I'm sorely lacking at the minute, but then I haven't completed a song in ages either so I don't know if I'd have much to play!

Do you have a quality mic? If not that's something that's really worth a little investment on, it can make a big difference to your recordings. Anyway, it's nice to see you're still making music!
    ---< Stop Whispering And Start Shouting >---

Team Night Sky Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. It's motivating to get feedback. Safila seems to have a lot of authority, ordering people to come here in the game threads.. and then there are people here . Thanks, I appreciate it. But don't worry Saf, even if no one posts here I'll still keep uploading. It's not my hunger for attention that makes me share my works with all you guys .

@WEW The only "quality" mic I have is a SM-58. I use it mainly for recording at home though. When going to play live, I'm not usually too tempted to carry an extra mic, mic-stand and a laptop just for recording purposes, on top of all the other stuff I have to carry like the amp, the guitar etc. Both of those live performances were actually recorded impromptu-style, with my phone ..

I would've responded here a lot sooner, but I felt like I should have some new material to thank you guys with for the feedback. That, and I also didn't want to have to double post once I did have something to post.

Soo here's a new cover recorded yesterday and today for ya guys, as a thanks

Heart of Life by John Mayer. Hope you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lol I don't have any authority, just goes to show some people actually read what we write in the interogation thread game. And yes it is motivating to get feedback on your music, not just in the drawing threads.

Sounds good.
    I watched John Mayer in concert other week, didn't realise what an amazing guitarist he is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. And yeah he is pretty amazing. It's refreshing that a superstar like him actually has very respectable skills.. comparing him to Ke$ha for example.. ugh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well he's a real musician like Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Mark Knoffler, Carlos Santana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I do think he has the potential to be regarded as "one of the greats" in future history. But that's getting more into opinions than comparing skills.
    He has pretty impressive improvisation and songwriting skills. He has quite a few videos on youtube of himself offstage, like on ustream for example.. making a song on the spot.. He's pretty funny too actually .

Senior Member Wide Eyed Wanderer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounding good Revo!
    ---< Stop Whispering And Start Shouting >---

Team Night Sky Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds great.

I didn't know you did fire poi. I was recently in a show where a friend of mine used them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dumping more stuff here in the graveyard... It does feel like posting in a completely dead thread, but then again this is what I originally created it for, so I guess this is still the best place for it.. :P

Since I last posted here, I've joined a quite reputable Finnish male choir (named Polytech Choir), which is a choir consisting of technology students in the capital area. We released a new album this last spring which I was recording aswell, and I guess I wanted to share it with you guys here. The album is available for listening on Spotify for those of you that are interested: https://play.spotify.com/album/1fqtNMHJe22DtTkRWP6ukO

This particular album is, for a lack of a better term, "artsy", as it has been released solely for the purpose of including modern Finnish choir music, composed specifically for our choir. So no one has preformed any of these pieces before. And for the record, most of them are pretty difficult! So if it sounds like a huge mess at times, rest assured that every sound is performed as it was written in the sheet music, we didn't just make random noise.

If you want a recommendation on which song to listen to, my personal favourite from the album is probably "Talvi Tule Vasta", part 1, or "Night Signal". But for the biggest mind****, go for "Mielen Tasapainolajit".
    We are planning on recording another album next year, this time more melodic and themed around serenades. When the time comes, I'll probably come post that aswell if I'm still around :P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your choir sounds really cool