Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: It's a cook book... A COOK BOOK!

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's a cook book... A COOK BOOK!

Well just thought of this a few days ago when I saw people saying stuff about the mushrooms I told HK about a few weeks back. I thought it would be cool idea to have people post their own recipes that they like to make so other Leans can try those out.

I guess I post the mushroom recipe as first as that has been thought already to one member.

Ingredients:

Whole white mushrooms.
    spreadable cheese with spices on it ( garlic and herbs as in one is good )
    bacon

First remove the "foot" of the mushroom, making the mushroom hollow. Then take the spreadable cheese and fill the hole completely. After that, wrap the bacon around the mushroom. To ensure that the bacon stays around the mushroom use half toothpick to make it stay wrapped. Put the mushrooms on Barbeque with cheese part up and cook until the bacon is cooked but not crispy.

Never tried this recipe on frying pan, but it should work, might not be as good thought.

So yeah, get sharing!

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well I guess I go ahead and double post as no one else seem to have a recipe of any kind

This recipe is for Summer soup as in most of the places it's summer time... for those who it's not.. well it's still a good soup!

3-6 people depending which amount of the ingredients you're using.

Ingredients:

3-4 average size potatoes
    2-3 carrots
    cauliflower (the heads, not the thickest stem part and the size depends how many people you want to feed )
    2 cups / 0.5 Liters of fresh peas or 100-150g/ quarter pound of frozen peas
    1-2 packages of whiners ~4-16 whiners depending on the size
    200-400g / 7-14oz Melted/processed cheese... this one I have found as tricky one in US, but Laughing cow wedges work pretty well

1. Peal all the vegetables and cut them in little cubes about 1.5cm / half an inch and cut the whiners.
    2. put everything in the pot and put water just so it almost covers all everything in the pot.
    3. When it starts to boil add melted/processed cheese
    4. After the cheese is melted, check if you need to add salt. Most of the time this is not necessary as whiners and cheese have quite a bit of salt.
    5 In the end you may want to add parsley if you desire.

This soup is also one of my favorite soups of all time.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Chocolate marshmellow Fudge

375g-400g milk chocolate- chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
    40g unsalted butter
    1 tin sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups mini marshmellows

Line a 20cm sqaure cakepan with baking paper.
    Place chocolate, essence, butter and condensed milk in a pan , stir over low heat until all melted, remove from heat and cool.
    Stir in marshmellows, and pout into the tin. Cover and put in fridge overnight till firm.

nom nom nom

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is modified from a friend's recipe.

Manda's Spicy Fried Pickles!
    You will need:
    1 egg
    Splash of milk
    Worcestershire sauce to taste
    Franks Red Hot or Tabasco sauce to taste (I use A LOT)
    Your favorite fish fry batter (I use a store brand one that's really spicy and then I add more spice. You can also use shrimp fry batter if you'd like a finer coating.)
    Frying oil (You don't need a lot, just enough to submerge your pickles, which of course, depends on the size of your pan.)
    Pickles of course!

Crack the egg into a small mixing bowl. Add splash of milk. Add Worcestershire sauce and Frank's. That's where you'll have to experiment. I like them SPICY, so I put A LOT of Franks in there. Add a splash of the pickle juice from your pickle jar and mix it all together. Make sure you burst the egg's yolk and blend it really well with a fork so it doesn't clump up.

Now the messy part. Pour some of your frying batter into another small mixing bowl. Drop a few pickles into your egg wash, get them nice and coated. Then drop them in your batter and coat them. Put them on a plate to the side. Repeat until you have enough pickles ready to fry, then place your plate with the pickles in the freezer. This is an important step! If you skip it, your batter will fall off of your pickles when you go to fry them. Leave them in for about five minutes, the longer the better really.

While you wait, start to heat your frying oil. You'll know it's ready when there are ripples along the top and bottom. Or you can sprinkle a little of your batter in and if it fries, it's ready.

After the pickles have been in the freezer for awhile, take them out and prepare to fry! They cook really quickly, so it's best to do a few at a time. I like to just drop in five at a time. When you drop them in, they sink to the bottom. When they float to the top, they're pretty much done. You can leave them in a little longer if you like things super fried. Scoop them out and put them on a paper towel covered plate to drain and cool. THEY ARE HOT! So let them cool before eating them. It will be tempting, but you must resist. Once they're cool, enjoy your delicious spicy fried pickles!

They're REALLY good dipped in ranch salad dressing too.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ I love condensed milk!

Microwave chocolate puddding... (yum yum!)

1 oz melted butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup self-raising flour
    2 (heaped) tablespoons of cocoa
    pinch of salt (i never add it because I forget)

Mix all ingredients well (I usually start with the sugar, cocoa and milk, and then gradually add the flour then the rest of the ingredients).
    Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish (or similar) about 8'' or 9''. I don't put a lid on, though you will have to wipe out the microwave after.
    In a seperate bowl, combine an extra 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cocoa and sprinkle over the top of the first mix.
    Pour 1/2 cup of hot water over the top and then microwave for 6 1/2 minutes.

Serve with cream or ice cream
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ ooh mumsie cooks that, we call it Hot Mocha Pudding

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Microwave pudding? Better not tell my grandma, haha, she does it the old fashion way ... in a pot on the stove, hehe.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathalie View Post
    Microwave pudding? Better not tell my grandma, haha, she does it the old fashion way ... in a pot on the stove, hehe.
    I know, we have a recipe that we make in the oven as well, but the microwave is simply so much quicker, so I enjoy making it, because by the time I'm done cleaning up from the preperation, it's already cooked and ready to eat.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    hehe, that's true ^^

It looks like regular vanilla pudding? Then I might just try it out once.
    (I don't like brown chocolate)

I don't have anything special I cook.

There's this one thing I've been making since I was 12, out of lack of ingredients in the house, my mom just threw some stuff together.

Rice, with all kinds of things mixed underneath:
    - minced meat
    - scrambled egg
    - bacon (slices from about 1cm thick, cut in little pieces)
    - ham (cooked together in the pan with the bacon)

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Keep it up people!

This recipe may be a little more complicated as I learned it in cooking school, but it's very good, thought it's rather high in calories

Finnish fish soup:

Ingredients:

500g / 1lb of potatoes
    1 onion
    500g / 1lb of salmon
    2dl / 1 cup of cream ( heavier the better )
    100g / 1stick of butter
    Whole allspice
    Fresh Dill if available, if not dry will do
    Salt

Optional: Few splashes of white wine

1. If you have salmon fillet you can remove the skin and fish bones that you can find and put them in the pot with around 3liter / 3/4 of a gallon water to make traditional fish soup base. If you don't have the skin and your fish is boneless or the idea seems too gross, you can skip this. Also if you do it, remove the skin and bones before starting to add stuff in the soup. The skin and bone only needs to be in the pot for 10-20 mins while it's boiling.

2. Chop the onions in small cubes, don't just chop the onion randomly, the taste is better if you cut it the way it should be plus it's over faster, meaning less tears I may post ways to cut things later on this thread, but as it's morning I'm not about to cook anytime soon. Also cut the potato in cubes about 2cm / 4/5"

3. Put some butter on frying pan, melt the butter and add potatoes and onion on frying pan. Fry until gets golden color ( Do not brown them ) You can add a little bit of salt here, but I usually do it in the end of making the soup as it has quite a bit of butter.

4. If you did the base for the soup, make sure to remove all the particles from water as now is the time to put the onions and potatoes in boiling water. Also add allspice in the soup.

5. While the potatoes and onion is cooking, dice the salmon in cubes of desired size. I usually make them about the size I had potatoes of, but it doesn't really matter. wait till the soup has boiled about 5 mins before putting in the cream and wine if desired. Add salmon towards the end ~ around 5 mins before you think the potatoes are done to avoid the fish pieces from breaking apart.

6. After everything is cooked, drop in about 30g / 3tbls of butter and sprinkle dill on the top. Also just before turning the boiler off, check the taste and add salt if needed. For this recipe I have yet to find a person who doesn't like it. Even a few people who doesn't like fish at all, have fell in love with this soup... but then again. Butter and cream usually equals good food

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ok, time to resurrect this thread.

Italian salad

Ingredients:
    500g/1lb potato
    500g/1lb carrots
    500g/1lb pickles
    500g/1lb ham
    500g/1lb peas
    Mayonnaise ( Real not light )

1. Cut potatoes and carrots desired size cubes. Boil them long enough so they are soft.
    2. Cut pickles and ham about same size pieces and mix them in a bowl with carrots and potatoes. Also add canned peas
    3. Mix everything well, add mayonnaise. I can't give precise amount but enough to make it seem like potato salad.

Enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coffee Balls

4oz butter
    2 cups Icing Sugar
    2 Tbsp cocoa
    1 tsp coffee
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    half cup sultanas
    3/4 cup coconut

Melt the butter, add all ingrediants and mix well, roll into balls, coat with extra coconut, leave in fridge for a couple of hours to harden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...bumping this A. because it's the holidays and B. because I have no ideas for foodstuffs lately & could use some new ones!

The people in my office like this spin on devilled eggs, it's really really easy and great for anyone with maybe older (or just crabby) family members that don't go in for the usual hot mustard or horseradish ones.

(Not so)Deviled Eggs
    --Dozen Eggs
    --Mayo
    --Sweet Relish (like for hotdogs)
    --Dijon Mustard

1.) Hard boil the eggs. Let cool. Peel & slice in half. This step sounds easy, but is actually the hardest & longest step and for the most part the main reason no-one ever wants to make deviled eggs!
    2.) Remove the cooked yolks from the hardboiled egg halves. Break up in a large bowl with a fork.
    3.) Start with 2 tablespoons of mayo. Mix. Mix in Relish & Mustard to taste until tangy. Depending on how wet it is, you can then add more mayo or leave it alone.
    4.) Spoon the filling into the egg halves (though this is SO much easier to do with a pastry decorating contraption!). Fancy it up with a dusting of paprika if you like to make it look spiffy.
    5.) Be the hero wherever you're bringing it because no-one wants to peel a dozen eggs!
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.