Quote Originally Posted by Sadiki View Post
Anyways I want to point out on little thing on the claim that same sex marriage should be called something else than marriage. After all Bible was not originally translated in English, there for I don't think it's right to claim word marriage is or should be related to religion. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Also what comes gays attacking Christianity, I believe I read somewhere that same sex marriages were decently common in ancient Greece and Rome and by considering, Christianity begun in that area, it's more than likely that Christianity in fact put end to that, so yeah who was attacking who? And also to claim word marriage is only for Christianity it would also mean me and Audra in example are not married. As there is still nothing religious in our marriage.
Just wanted to chime in and say that casual homosexual relationships were relatively common in Roman culture, but the concept of a "Gay marriage" as we know it is very much a last-few-hundred-years sorta thing. If faced with this decision, most Roman citizens would probably ask why the two men or two women would even want to be married as they would not be providing offspring for the family lineage. Marriage was defined within the Roman empire around the time of Christianity as being between a man and a woman (in some areas, especially areas with a high jewish population, multiple women). Marrying strictly out of love is also a relatively new concept -- political, economic, and social factors also determined one's future spouse, and often the two people being married did not have the final say in their own marriage. The concept of marriage existed long before Christianity. The concept of a gay marriage in ancient culture is, in my opinion, a total anachronism.