Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Long layover vs more flights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Long layover vs more flights

So I have a dilemma. Apart from a few days difference in date and 10-$50 in price, I currently have a few different options for my flights, and I'm honestly not sure which I prefer.

The miminum amount of flights I can have with my return itinerary is 8 because of my stopover to visit Sharifu and STM. *shakes fist*

Here's my issue. I can either get to the U.S spend 10+hours in L.A airport before going to my stopover city, then a couple days later, return to LA, spend another 10+ hours in LA before my last flight to Pat. And then on my return 6 months later (so long that it doesn't really matter) have another 10 or so hours in LA. Let's not forget the fact that I'm too familiar with that airport already, lol. These flights also have early departure times and late arrival times and have a downside that because of my delay in LA airport before my flight to see Pat (and the timezone difference) I won't actually arrive till the next morning!

My other option is a 10 or 11 flight intinerary. The benefit of this is that I never really have to stop and wait, I'll be always on the go, however I hate the idea of extra flights, having to go through more security check points etc and in some cases have very short connection times, in some cases only and hour and 15 before an international flight (too short in my opinion) which means I may risk missing a flight (or two).

My concern with the first is that I'll simply go crazy and get sore and tired and essentially be frustrated at not going anywhere. It happens but is acceptable. The second alternative means I have to get on and off more flights (often frustrating at the best of times) and I chance that some connections may not quite be long enough.

Which would you go for? I know that some people would much prefer to be on the go so that they would feel like they were actually getting somewhere. Which I perfectly understand, it's going to be a pain just sitting there, wasting so much time in the airports, but I'm wondering which you think is better, because I'm pretty much chasing my tail on this one.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hm, I think I'd probably go for the long layovers. Just because I'd be way too anxious about something going wrong with having to make so many flights. Not gonna lie, I'd find the 10+ hours at the airports pretty horrendous but I think I'd be too panicky with the other option. That's just me though, I'm a nervy sort

I feel super guilty for not having to change flights. I'm really lucky. I'm nervy enough about one flight, let alone that many.

I was wondering actually, Azerane, how you get to spend so much time there in one go. When I go there, I get authorisation for three months each time on the ESTA visa. I never get to stay that long (only a week or two) but I was just wondering how you manage six at a time. Feel free to tell me off for being so nosy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    not nosy at all Firstly, thanks for your input, it's appreciated. I think I'm nervous about something going wrong with multiple flights too.

In terms of getting to spend 6 months. The first two times I went, I stayed 3 months on the VISA waiver program. I think the allowance is 90 days or something. I believe that's the same as the ESTA thing... Though I believe the ESTA thing is new, because previously when I visited, you didn't have to submit the application online just before you left, you just went. Now I have a tourist B2 (I think, maybe B1) VISA, which I had to apply for which allows for a 6 month stay (I think they like to see a booked return flight) and I think while you are in the U.S towards the end of your stay you can apply to extend it, though I've not really looked into it. From my side of things, it's also a combination of saving up lots of money to be able to survive for 6 months and have a really nice employer which likes me enough to simply suspend me on the system while I'm away than to force me to quit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the ESTA is the visa waiver program. I've only been flying to America for a year and a half though, so it may be newish. They make you pay for it now too

And wow, you're really lucky your employer lets you do that. If I wanted to go for that long I'd have to quit my job. We're only a small place though, so they'd have to replace me. That's one thing putting me off going for a long period of time. I wish I could, but there just wouldn't be a job for me to come back to afterwards and they're like impossible to find around here. My girlfriend and I do get to see each other roughly every few months though, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

So when are you hoping to fly out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh, there you go, I think the ESTA thing is about 2 or so years old. Sucks that you have to pay for it, just another moneygrabber I guess. I guess it saves you the trip if they decide not to let you in when you get there though

I understand about your work, I'm lucky for working for a big retail company in that regard, there's plenty of people that can cover shifts until they hire a batch of fresh people.

And I'm leaving at the end of July, between the 24th-30th most likely. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's great! Not too long now! Hopefully my next trip is in the fall this year. I'm in love with America, especially at that time of year. Where is it that Pat lives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The ESTA thing has been around since last year at least. I remember being taken by surprise when I was flying out to Mexico last year. When I was checking in for my flight to Dallas, they told me my boarding pass couldn't be authorised because I didn't have an ESTA visa, so I had to go on the internet there and apply for one. It's valid until 30th July 2012 though, so it'll still be valid for when I travel this time, thank goodness. That sucks that you have to pay for it now though... I was thinking it being free was too good for it to last. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

As for the more flights vs long layovers thing, I would prefer more long layovers too, if I'm honest. When I booked my flights at the beginning of the year, I was hoping to get flights both ways that would only have one layover, but unfortunately the flight I was hoping to get on the way back must've sold out just before I considered booking them, so I have to go from El Paso to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, before flying back to Manchester. I am not looking forward to that journey. And on the last flight I only have like 90 mins in CDG before my flight back to Manchester, which is going to be pretty risky if there's a delay, even more so if they don't check my bags straight through. That's why I'd prefer longer layovers to more flights. There's less chance in you missing your flight that way, and even though the idea of sitting in an airport for a long time is quite boring, for me it seems to be less stressful. Probably because I prefer to be on the ground rather than flying too. Flying can make me nervous.

I'll be in Atlanta for 5 hours on my layover going, which isn't so bad. If I have a delay it'll give me more time to get through passport and security, and if not, well, I have plenty of time to do that, and I can also get myself some lunch or something while I'm waiting. Besides, I'm not so familiar with Atlanta's airport, so I'll need to find where my gate is for my next flight. I was more familiar with Dallas because I had been in there with Leor before so I had time to familiarise myself.

Well, I went into a bit of a rant there it seems, so I'll stop now. Glad you're getting closer to having a final date. I hope you get to book your flight soon.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Simba View Post
    The ESTA thing has been around since last year at least. I remember being taken by surprise when I was flying out to Mexico last year. When I was checking in for my flight to Dallas, they told me my boarding pass couldn't be authorised because I didn't have an ESTA visa, so I had to go on the internet there and apply for one. It's valid until 30th July 2012 though, so it'll still be valid for when I travel this time, thank goodness. That sucks that you have to pay for it now though... I was thinking it being free was too good for it to last. Hopefully it's not too expensive.
    It's only about $15 for two years. I myself only found out about the ESTA about two weeks before the flight, thanks to Virgin Atlantic emailing me to tell me about it, otherwise I'd have had no idea. I was amused by the questions they ask though, especially the Nazi one. I dunno if that's still on there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't get any notification from the airline I was flying with about my visa. Damn you American Airlines.

$15 doesn't sound too bad actually, but it would still be better free. And I think I remember the Nazi question now that you mention it.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nazis?

I've never been on a flight with a layover... well, I've only been on two flights, period, so I don't know. I think eight flights would kill me, though.

On my flight to Germany we have a seven-hour layover in Toronto, which I'm actually looking forward to because Toronto is cool. And it's a break in the monotony, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombolia View Post
    Nazis?
    There's a question asking if you were involed with the Nazi party in the 1930s and 40s. And a bunch of ones asking if you're a terrorist. I don't think many terrorists would tick yes to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd go for the long layovers personally... I already spent 18 hours in Dublin airport last year (and it would have been longer if I didn't have friends in Ireland to go live with for a day), and I guess it's better being bored for 10 hours than missing flights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally would go for long layovers aswell. The reason being (apart from what people have already mentioned) that I don't think I would really get annoyed at waiting in one place for some extra time, because I would be too excited about the idea that "OMG, I'm actually going to see my partner in just a few days!!". If I were you and hadn't seen my partner for so many months, a little extra time like that would not feel like anything to add to that. But that may be just me.

Just make sure to bring lots of books and music with you to kill time ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    That's great! Not too long now! Hopefully my next trip is in the fall this year. I'm in love with America, especially at that time of year. Where is it that Pat lives?
    That's exciting! Pat lives in Florida, so no fancy fall colours unfortunately, just humid weather

Quote Originally Posted by King Simba View Post
    As for the more flights vs long layovers thing, I would prefer more long layovers too, if I'm honest. When I booked my flights at the beginning of the year, I was hoping to get flights both ways that would only have one layover, but unfortunately the flight I was hoping to get on the way back must've sold out just before I considered booking them, so I have to go from El Paso to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, before flying back to Manchester. I am not looking forward to that journey. And on the last flight I only have like 90 mins in CDG before my flight back to Manchester, which is going to be pretty risky if there's a delay, even more so if they don't check my bags straight through. That's why I'd prefer longer layovers to more flights. There's less chance in you missing your flight that way, and even though the idea of sitting in an airport for a long time is quite boring, for me it seems to be less stressful. Probably because I prefer to be on the ground rather than flying too. Flying can make me nervous.

I'll be in Atlanta for 5 hours on my layover going, which isn't so bad. If I have a delay it'll give me more time to get through passport and security, and if not, well, I have plenty of time to do that, and I can also get myself some lunch or something while I'm waiting. Besides, I'm not so familiar with Atlanta's airport, so I'll need to find where my gate is for my next flight. I was more familiar with Dallas because I had been in there with Leor before so I had time to familiarise myself.
    That's how I feel about a long layover, is in particular, especially when getting off of an international flight, I don't have to worry about feeling rushed to get through the immigration and security etc checkpoints. Sometimes it takes hardly any time, other times it can take forever. Plus I'll have time to grab something to eat, go to a nicer toilet etc. Plus, like you mentioned, having a tonne of connections is not pleasent in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombolia View Post
    On my flight to Germany we have a seven-hour layover in Toronto, which I'm actually looking forward to because Toronto is cool. And it's a break in the monotony, I guess.
    The break in the monotony is good, especially if you have other people flying with you, you can then walk around etc. However, 10 hours in an airport soon becomes the monotonous thing, though I do enjoy stretching my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monai View Post
    I'd go for the long layovers personally... I already spent 18 hours in Dublin airport last year (and it would have been longer if I didn't have friends in Ireland to go live with for a day), and I guess it's better being bored for 10 hours than missing flights
    18.... wow. That's insane, I wouldn't know what to do with 18 hours, I'm never comfortable enough to fall asleep in terms of what if someone tries to take my bag etc. Though if I tried falling asleep, I would fall asleep on top of my bag to prevent that, but still, you are right, it is better than missing flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I personally would go for long layovers aswell. The reason being (apart from what people have already mentioned) that I don't think I would really get annoyed at waiting in one place for some extra time, because I would be too excited about the idea that "OMG, I'm actually going to see my partner in just a few days!!". If I were you and hadn't seen my partner for so many months, a little extra time like that would not feel like anything to add to that. But that may be just me.

Just make sure to bring lots of books and music with you to kill time ..
    Trust me, spending that long in an airport is kinda a buzzkill There's excitement and getting to another destination, and getting some decent food, and looking at the shops, and reading a book, and listening to music. But then when you have the repeat the same activities... activities which like the book reading you've already been doing on the plane anyway nevermind.

Anyway, here comes the good news... Everyone just seemed to be so much in favour of long layovers... which I think I was preffering from the start, I just didn't know it and needed a push in that direction. So, I booked my flights!

I leave on July 24th! Yay! So I get to visit the happily married Sharifu and STM, before getting to see Pat!!! So excited.

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For me it would depend on multiple things. In example if layover is around an hour on not busy airport I have no problem with it as even if I happened to miss my flight because of delay they are going to change my route to my final destination and not to my next destination, so it most of the time wont effect too much on the time of arrival. Thought in this situation I would probably choose the 10h layover as well over multiple flights as the long layover comes after long flight once and before another long flight when going back. I haven't really had more than one 10h layover in my life time which was in Boston where I actually never intended to go in the first place.

Most of the time I don't have trouble either way, actually if I'm even little bit familiar with the place I'm at, in 10h layover I could even go wondering away from the airport for a bit. making sure I would get back in time thought. What comes to feeling unsafe flying... I never have even thought of it being dangerous, I mean you might as well be scared you gonna end up in car accident or get stabbed walking outside. Anything can happen so why to stress up about it... then again I'm very laid back person so maybe I just don't worry about stuff like that.

Anyways I'm a little scatterbrained right now, so as a short answer, I would take 10h layover, over multiple flights as I hate security checks over everything... I used to be pulled off the side nearly every time I went through... I guess I have an appearance of a terrorist...

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yay! So glad you have it all booked, Azerane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiki View Post
    Anyways I'm a little scatterbrained right now, so as a short answer, I would take 10h layover, over multiple flights as I hate security checks over everything... I used to be pulled off the side nearly every time I went through... I guess I have an appearance of a terrorist...
    Doesn't surprise me... I mean...

Thanks Lucy! I'm really excited about it.