Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greetings/Gr??e/Groetjes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Shatara
    ...and someday, I'm actually going to remember that x)
    LOL!! *Pets* It's easier if you had to get used to the "ij" from learning the language itself.

Keep forgetting its a germanic 'j'...x.x
    Now I want to know how you've been pronouncing it! ^.^;;

Yes, you know me I'm on CC, and used to be on Wildfury...I've twice mis-shortened yer name, hence the giving up x)
    Ooohhh, ok. I KNEW your name was ringing bells!

Originally posted by nathalie
    I see you already found it

But those are the verbs I gave, so it will become:
    * Ich lebe in ...
    * Ich wohne in ...
    Ah, thank you. ^.^

In Dutch, it's
    "Ik woon in.." ("I live in..") and
    "Ik komm uit.." ("I come from.." or "I'm from...")

"Ik komm uit Amerika, maar ik woon in Duitsland met mijn maan." - "I come from America, but I live in Germany with my husband."

And, I am willing to bet that you could say the exact same thing in German (same words, just the German equivalent instead of the Dutch words; and possibly the same structure.) but I am not positive. (As said, my Dutch is better than my German.)

EDIT: (I missed this reply before whilst I was typing my reply)

Originally posted by Nephilim
    Ahhh good ol' German lessons. x) Hija.
    German lessons are good!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Marijke Rose
    In Dutch, it's
    "Ik woon in.." ("I live in..") and
    "Ik komm uit.." ("I come from.." or "I'm from...")

"Ik komm uit Amerika, maar ik woon in Duitsland met mijn maan." - "I come from America, but I live in Germany with my husband."
    Actually "komm" is with only 1 M: kom
    And "maan" is: man

And yeah, German looks like Dutch, in my dialect there are many German words, whenever we went to Aachen, we could sometimes just speak our dialect and people would understand most things we said.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually "komm" is with only 1 M: kom
    And "maan" is: man

You're right, "komm" is German.. oops!
    And right again, "maan" is "moon"... ^.^;;;
    Two mistakes I never made before I started learning German.. "Moon" and "Mouth" are always confusing me now.. Because:

Mouth - Mond (NL), Mund (DE)
    Moon - Maan (NL), Mond (DE)

I still crack up when I think of the Die Prinzen song: "Der Mann im Mond"...

And yeah, German looks like Dutch, in my dialect there are many German words, whenever we went to Aachen, we could sometimes just speak our dialect and people would understand most things we said.
    *Nods* I've noticed that certain dialects here in Germany resemble Dutch very, very closely. Particular the dialects coming from the areas that border Holland.

Plus, both come from some really old Germanic language, anyway.. (of course, so does English, but it developed further away from German and Dutch..)

Of you look at the Dutch national anthem, though... the questions (that make Dutchies quite cranky or even downright furious) begin to arise... (I know this firsthand... o.o)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you, SimbaTheLion. ^.^ It'd be kewl to be friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'M INSANE.

Uhm, yeah, hi there! ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I'm late in welcoming you Marijke, but please be welcomed and I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Monai
    I'M INSANE.

Uhm, yeah, hi there! ^^
    LOL! Hi there. Insane is good! ^.~

Originally posted by Ngatuny
    Sorry I'm late in welcoming you Marijke, but please be welcomed and I hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Better late than never, no? ^.~
    Thank you. You're a cheetah too?

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to Lea... it seems you have had time to post quite a lot already

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Chuckles* Well, replying to this thread. ^.~

Otherwise, I think I've only posted in a few other topics. I was going to try to catch up to all the birthday topics, but decided it'd be easiest to just reply to new ones.. LOL!

After this thread has lived it's life, my posting will probably go way, way, way down. ^.~

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Marijke Rose

*Nods* I've noticed that certain dialects here in Germany resemble Dutch very, very closely. Particular the dialects coming from the areas that border Holland.
    Not only the border with the Netherlands...

1 of Belgium's official languages is German, and there is a small part of Belgium, in which (only) Germans live *tadaaa* next to the German border *hehe*

And where I used to live, was only 40 minutes from Aachen, so about 30 from the actualy border with Germany.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Belgium borders Holland.

I know some parts of Belgium speak Dutch and other parts speak French as well. But, I've never been to Belgium.

I have been to the (West) Friesland in the Netherlands, though. That's like stepping into another country altogether (lots of buildings display the flag of Friesland, there; plus the language is different, though everyone there speaks Dutch also). I've not been to the (East) Friesland in Germany, though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yes, Belgium is devided in 3 parts, a tiny bit German (next to the German border), a huge bit Flemmish (Dutch, but we use other words and stuff, like UK-English and US-English) to the border with The Netherlands, and then the other part is French wich is lying next to France.

Oh yeah, Fries, I don't get 1 word of that *lol*

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yes, that's right.. Flemmish. I have heard the language, so I know how close to Dutch it is. Along with different words, the language is also softer (the 'G's are pronounced much softer than in Dutch, as are the 'ch's.) Otherwise, it's easy to understand if you know Dutch.

I have a song in Flemmish ("Ik ben hier" by Joost Zweegers), but I have heard other stuff in Flemmish as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah, you can compare Dutch to Brittish and Flemmish to American.
    Something like that.

And yeah, we have a "normal" G, and also in some parts of The Netherlands, they say a "normal" too, the higher you go, to sooner you will hear that "ch / r" sound.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose you could compare them that way, but I had never thought of doing so before. *Chuckles*

What "ch/r" do you mean? o.o
    All I know of is the normal, Noord-Holland "ch" sound, which is much like the Noord-Holland "g" sound.

Sometime, I will likely get to visit a campground in Zeeland.. not sure which town, though.
    Where I am living in Germany, we are very close to the Dutch town of Nijmegen (which is in Gelderland, no?).

I miss Holland so much...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, you call it a 'ch' sound, we call it more like an 'r' sound

But the places near Belgium, don't have that sound, they use a normal G sound. (with a Dutch accent though *lol*)

I have no idea at all, where certain places are in Holland , I only know Maastricht, since I used to live 15 minutes away.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Now you touched in that subject, i need to tell you that: this thing of the people of Europe, of so much difernt culltures, of so much diferent languages, can be so much... united.
    Here in my country is just you cross the border of your state to be disrespected and discriminated.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think you'll find that in every country. I know Belgium people who don't like the people from The Netherlands, or who don't like Germans ...

Even inside of Belgium, all people don't like each other, especially because of the different dialects we got here.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gutentag, wilkommen!!! Veges?
    (sorry for bad spelling )

I hope you enjoy lea and have a good time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True nath. Like in England, the south (stereotypically) hates the north, and vice-versa. XD