Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greetings/Gr??e/Groetjes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nathalie
    Well, you call it a 'ch' sound, we call it more like an 'r' sound
    Wow, it doesn't sound anything like an 'r' to me, *Chuckles* Even a Dutch or German 'r'. The 'ch' in German is more like a hissing sound (like a cat makes when it hisses), and the Dutch 'ch' is more... gutteral, very rough.. sorta like when someone is bringing up a lewgie (American term for the exaggerated hacking up phlegm to spit out).. in Flemmish, it seemed to be a rough-hissing sound.

But the places near Belgium, don't have that sound, they use a normal G sound. (with a Dutch accent though *lol*)
    Always sounds like the German "ch" in "ich". But, that might have just been the way the person I've heard pronounced it, rather than the normal Flemmish pronunciation. o.o

I have no idea at all, where certain places are in Holland , I only know Maastricht, since I used to live 15 minutes away.
    Ah, I see. I spent a Summer (in 2003) IN Holland, but have tried to make myself familier with the Geography for the last 3 years.

Originally posted by ThiagoPE
    Now you touched in that subject, i need to tell you that: this thing of the people of Europe, of so much difernt culltures, of so much diferent languages, can be so much... united.
    Here in my country is just you cross the border of your state to be disrespected and discriminated.
    Europe is also different from America in this regard. America is very, very snippy about their borders. Especially in regards to people south of the border. But up north, Canada and America are barely tollerating each other.. like two rival cousins stuck at a family reunion.

I think you'll find that in every country. I know Belgium people who don't like the people from The Netherlands, or who don't like Germans ...

(Snip)
    As you mentioned, the Dutch and Germans. They generally get along with each other, but the Dutch, ESPECIALLY the older generations, hold quite the grudge. Though, I think it is generally not too dangerous for a German to go places in Holland - and of course, in my experience ALL generations of Dutchies get offended if you confuse them with Germans (to the point where if you make a simple mistake, like "Isn't 'hart' German?" they will stone you to death... in the not-good way).. I heard there are places in England where it is not advisable to go if you are German..

And, of course, the Dutch have all their anti-Belgian jokes. I don't remember any right off the top of my head, but they get pretty silly.

I think every where you go there will be some sort of tension between one group and another.. the only question really is: how dangerous does the rivalry get? In some places, it can be a threat to your health (as in, some place in England where some of the British are known to beat up Germans.. And, of course, there are wars over this very thing going on in the now.) o.o

Originally posted by This land
    Gutentag, wilkommen!!! Veges?
    (sorry for bad spelling )

I hope you enjoy lea and have a good time
    Guten Tag! Freut mich.
    Ich danke Dir f?r die sch?ne Gr??e!
    Ich bin sehr gut! Und wie geht's Dir?

(Since this board is primarily English-speaking, I will now provide the translation of what I hope I actually said:
    "Good day! Pleased to meet you.
    I thank you for the nice greetings!
    I'm doing very good! And how are you?")

You're spelling is forgiven, but I should warn you that I had trouble figuring out what "veges" was.. I had to say it out loud. I assume you meant "Wie geht's?". ^.~

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    [i]Europe is also different from America in this regard. America is very, very snippy about their borders. Especially in regards to people south of the border. But up north, Canada and America are barely tollerating each other.. like two rival cousins stuck at a family reunion.
    [/B]
    Heeheehe, just a warning, im not american, im brazilian, and i was talking about my country.

Just to tell an example: Recentily i was at Rio grande do north state and there in the radio thee govcernor of them was speaking ill of my state (pernambuco). i got very sad with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off I'd like to say; "German food ownz all!" XD

Salutations, and welcome to LH. "Please buckle your seat belts & remain seated until the ride comes to a full stop, thank you and enjoy the ride." ^_^'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heeheehe, just a warning, im not american, im brazilian, and i was talking about my country.

Just to tell an example: Recentily i was at Rio grande do north state and there in the radio thee govcernor of them was speaking ill of my state (pernambuco). i got very sad with that
    I noticed that you were from Brazil in your profile. ^.^
    I hope you will not mind an ignorant American question, but.. What languages do you guys speak down there? I would guess Spanish, but is that your main spoken language? And, what are the common minority languages? (I read something once about Brazil in this regard a few months ago or so, but I do not remember.)

That sucks that someone on the radio spoke bad about your state.

Originally posted by SoniqueX
    First off I'd like to say; "German food ownz all!" XD

Salutations, and welcome to LH. "Please buckle your seat belts & remain seated until the ride comes to a full stop, thank you and enjoy the ride." ^_^'
    Thank you and hello. ^.^

German food does rock, especially German bread, but a lot of the traditional dishes seem very salty to me.. (like their soups and stews.. especially the one that has the little sausages and lentil beans in it..)

Some of the pastries I've tasted are really good too.. though I have to say that a Dutch Stroopwafel owns ein Berliner any day. ^.~

And I kinda like Dutch Kroketten better than the German variety (they are very different, though.. Dutch Kroketten has some kind of thick soupy center that can be vegetable or meat-based, and is deep fried and sold as a snack food in the snack shops, and the German variety is about bite-sized and is filled with mashed potatoes, and you can deep fry it --both are yummy though. ^.^).

I must try more German food!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for my delay Marijke, I had a computer crash! Anyway, Welcome to Lea Halalela! I can see that you are already having fun here, so my usual greeting dosen't work! So...Uhh... well, welcome, and have more fun anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LOL! It's okay, I know how computer crashes can be (I'm running Linux now, and loving it, because Windows is untrustworthy, Apple has betrayed me and called it 'OSX' {or 'Cheetah', 'Mountain Lion', 'Jaguar', 'Panther', 'Tiger'..}) And, thank you, dlb117.

I was a Mac User... loved MacOS Classic, and was excited about OSX... until I couldn't find a simple way to do anything (their simple-standard text editor, for example, cannot do as much as SimpleText, yet is a much larger file). At least they fixed the multitasking problem, because you can -in a way that is superior to Windows XP (but inferior to Linux)- multitask.. o.o
    And they added the multi-user system, which is neat, and the fact that it's based on Unix (FreeBSD) is kinda neat. But the amount of programs available (there is nothing that is 'simple' and 'basic', and anything good requires the latest version of OSX) and backwards compatibility is... saddening, to put it in the most gentle way.

And, I admit that SimpleText wasn't that great, but I couldn't find anything comparable to TextPad 4 (Windows) or GEdit (Linux, GNOME) either. I tried out a few free 'simple HTML editors', like "Taco", and they wanted to control the HTML code too much for my taste (I like an HTML editor to just... let me do whatever I please, write all the raw code myself, and see if it works in my browsers the way I want it to or not).

Unfortunately, my fave FTP client is for Windows (it was FTP Commander, the free version, which was simple, showed side-by-side local and remote host file-lists; and let me change the language around as I liked -for example, I adjusted it to the Dutch language pack, only flipping back to English when I was having trouble with something), and I haven't found anything comparable yet..

Heh, sorry.. I hope that wasn't too off-topic.. it shouldn't be too bad, because computers and webpages are big interests of mine, along with languages, but I'd have gotten in trouble for this post on other forums.

Nathalie, if it's too off-topic with all the computer talk, just let me know and I will cease to discuss it in this thread. I really don't want to annoy people, but I wanted to express some of my interests that I hadn't really done so before.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, off-topic happens, and as long as it has content, like your post then it's fine by me.

Sometimes, things can go off-topic, and actually go about nothing at all.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you, Nathalie. ^.^

And, yes, I've seen that happen.. we had a problem with it on a forum I co-adminstrate at.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Marijke Rose
    I noticed that you were from Brazil in your profile. ^.^
    I hope you will not mind an ignorant American question, but.. What languages do you guys speak down there? I would guess Spanish, but is that your main spoken language? And, what are the common minority languages? (I read something once about Brazil in this regard a few months ago or so, but I do not remember.)
    hehehe, your question is not ignorant,

Well, here in south america, excluding Brazil ( Brazilian Portuguese), Guiana (English), Freench Guiana (French) and suriname (Dutch) all other countries speaks spanish.

The "brazilian" portuguese is diferent from portugal one in sound, gramar and some words, we can understand each other but, the high acennt of portugal people makes the understanding of portuguese people a dificult job for brazilian ears.

Example - lion king song in portugal portugase -
    http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/portu...0ser%20rei.mp3
    Same lion king song in brazilian portuguese -
    http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/Rei%20...n%20-%2002.mp3

Yes, there is also a lot of few comunities and cities here that speaks other languages, i can?t remeber any exaples, but some cities 9mainly in the south of brasil, have languages as german, italian and even spanish as the most used languages there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love Can you feel the love tonight, in both versions *hehe*
    Although, those are actually, kind of, the same.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, the lryic is almost the same, but, as you can hear, the acent is very siferent... and is this accent that makes us, brazilian, don?t undertsand well the portuguese

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ooh... Hi there Marijke Rose! This topic sure was interesting to read! About languages and different cultures... (I love the smilies here too! It's so neat how they fit the theme of this forum)

Speaking about Holland, my dad's ex-girlfriend told me and my boyfriend that she has a house in Holland. (Her parent's house I believe she said) She told us we can stay there whenever we want!

I've never been to Europe before, or out of the US for that matter... But I want to go to Europe next summer. I want to go to the Disneyland Paris Lea Meeting, and go to Finland, since my boyfriend lives in Finland. (Maybe England too, if I can make enough money by then) I can't wait! I love to travel and see new things!
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehehe, your question is not ignorant,
    I'm flattered that you think it's not ignorant. ^.^

Well, here in south america, excluding Brazil ( Brazilian Portuguese), Guiana (English), Freench Guiana (French) and suriname (Dutch) all other countries speaks spanish.
    That is very interesting. I knew I had read that there was quite a mix of different languages spoken there, but I wasn't sure.

The "brazilian" portuguese is diferent from portugal one in sound, gramar and some words, we can understand each other but, the high acennt of portugal people makes the understanding of portuguese people a dificult job for brazilian ears.
    Ahh, I understand that problem. *Chuckles*

Example - lion king song in portugal portugase -
    http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/portu...0ser%20rei.mp3
    Same lion king song in brazilian portuguese -
    http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/Rei%20...n%20-%2002.mp3
    I get a page with a "404 error" ("File does not exist"), so I cannot hear those songs you posted.

Yes, there is also a lot of few comunities and cities here that speaks other languages, i can?t remeber any exaples, but some cities 9mainly in the south of brasil, have languages as german, italian and even spanish as the most used languages there.
    Ahh, I see.

Thank you very much for answering my question, ThiagoPE. ^.^

Originally posted by Sharifu
    Ooh... Hi there Marijke Rose! This topic sure was interesting to read! About languages and different cultures... (I love the smilies here too! It's so neat how they fit the theme of this forum)
    Hi there, Sharifu. ^.^

I'm glad you enjoyed the topic! As you can see, I really love language and culture, and there is so much about it to learn. It's really fascinating.

Speaking about Holland, my dad's ex-girlfriend told me and my boyfriend that she has a house in Holland. (Her parent's house I believe she said) She told us we can stay there whenever we want!
    LOL! Lucky you! That is really kewl. ^.^

If you ever get a chance, you should take her up on her offer and visit.

I've never been to Europe before, or out of the US for that matter... But I want to go to Europe next summer. I want to go to the Disneyland Paris Lea Meeting, and go to Finland, since my boyfriend lives in Finland. (Maybe England too, if I can make enough money by then) I can't wait! I love to travel and see new things!
    I hadn't been out of the US before going to Holland in 2003, actually. ^.^ I was so scared and excited at the same time!

Your boyfriend is Finnish? That's kewl! Finnish is a really beautiful language, but quite complicated. (I have a friend who moved from Finland to Holland to be with her boyfriend and she's sent me some music and occasionally posts in her LiveJournal in Finnish, and I usually read it even though I don't understand a word!)

If you do get a chance to visit another country, I say you should jump on the opportunity! It can be scary, but it is SO worth it!

The Paris Lea meeting looks kewl, but I do not think I will be able to make it.. which sucks, because I would enjoy the experience. (Though I am nervous about France and their airport.. Charles DeGall or however it's spelled, *Hides* I had a connecting flight there when I was going back home from Holland, and I had a lot of trouble finding my way through it -even when asking for help, it was still a labyrinth and the people I talked to weren't the most helpful people I've ever talked to... they tried, but the language barrier was a problem.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I get a page with a "404 error" ("File does not exist"), so I cannot hear those songs you posted.
    The problem is because the links are too big and lea softeware are not recognizing it.

Try copy paste these urls to your browser adress bar

http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/portugues%20portugal/Portuguese%20(European)%20-%20TLK1%20-%2002%20Eu%20mal%20posso%20esperar%20para%20ser%20 rei.mp3

http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/Rei%20Leao/Portugues%20Brasil/1/Elton%20John,%20Hans%20Zimmer%20-%20Ich%20will%20jetzt%20gleich%20K%f6nig%20sein%20-%2002.mp3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still get 404 Errors, unfortunately. o.o

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    @.@

I think the only way you have is go manualy to the songs

Portugal portuguese version
    http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/
    Then click "portugues portugal"
    Then click "Portuguese (European..>"

Brazilian
    http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/
    Then click "Rei Leao"
    Then click "Portugues Brasil"
    Then click "1"
    Then click "Elton John, Hans Zim..>"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Your boyfriend is Finnish? That's kewl! Finnish is a really beautiful language, but quite complicated. (I have a friend who moved from Finland to Holland to be with her boyfriend and she's sent me some music and occasionally posts in her LiveJournal in Finnish, and I usually read it even though I don't understand a word!)

If you do get a chance to visit another country, I say you should jump on the opportunity! It can be scary, but it is SO worth it!
    Hehe yes... My boyfriend is Finnish... He's the member SimbaTheMighty, he even replied to this thread. Finnish does sound like a pretty langauage. I've listened to "He Lives in You" in Finnish and I really liked it.

Hehe yeah I think traveling to Europe would be scary, if I was going by myself! But going with STM, I will feel much better. ^_^

Btw, I really like your banner! Do you have a TLKFAA gallery?
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @.@

I think the only way you have is go manualy to the songs

Portugal portuguese version
    http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/
    Then click "portugues portugal"
    Then click "Portuguese (European..>"

Brazilian
    http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/
    Then click "Rei Leao"
    Then click "Portugues Brasil"
    Then click "1"
    Then click "Elton John, Hans Zim..>"
    W00T! That worked, thank you very much. ^.^
    As soon as they are downloaded, I will listen to them.

The title of the second one looks German, to me. o.o
    "Elton John, Hans Zimmer - Ich will jetzt gleich K?nig sein"

Hehe yes... My boyfriend is Finnish... He's the member SimbaTheMighty, he even replied to this thread. Finnish does sound like a pretty langauage. I've listened to "He Lives in You" in Finnish and I really liked it.

Hehe yeah I think traveling to Europe would be scary, if I was going by myself! But going with STM, I will feel much better. ^_^

Btw, I really like your banner! Do you have a TLKFAA gallery?
    Oh! I noticed in your signature, but I wasn't sure if that was just an RP thing or not. Kewl! Congrats!
    I have the song "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish, but it's, unfortunately, a really warbly version, so it sucks.

The airports aren't too difficult for the most part. Just Paris. ^.~
    The airport in Amsterdam, Schippol, is HUGE (I believe one of the largest International Airports in Europe, many flights connect through Amsterdam), but it's not difficult to find your way around in, because every sign is written in like 7 different languages, including English.

Thank you, *Blush* and no, I don't have a TLKFAA gallery. Is TLKFAA through LionKing.org?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh! I noticed in your signature, but I wasn't sure if that was just an RP thing or not. Kewl! Congrats!
    I have the song "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish, but it's, unfortunately, a really warbly version, so it sucks.
    Naw hehe... I actually don't RP. But thank you! I can't wait until he's here again. He'll be here for Christmas! Long Distance relationships are hard... But he'll be moving here when he's done with school. Oh and actually I do have "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish too.

Thank you, *Blush* and no, I don't have a TLKFAA gallery. Is TLKFAA through LionKing.org?
    Yes. http://fanart.lionking.org/
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was in a long distance relationship too (Rofu, my fianc?, and I met on the internet), so I know how it feels. It really can get hard.

(Re: TLKFAA) Ahh, I thought so. Nope, I've never gotten a gallery there. (I considered doing so 6 years ago, but never actually did.)