Originally posted by nathalie
Well, you call it a 'ch' sound, we call it more like an 'r' sound
Wow, it doesn't sound anything like an 'r' to me, *Chuckles* Even a Dutch or German 'r'. The 'ch' in German is more like a hissing sound (like a cat makes when it hisses), and the Dutch 'ch' is more... gutteral, very rough.. sorta like when someone is bringing up a lewgie (American term for the exaggerated hacking up phlegm to spit out).. in Flemmish, it seemed to be a rough-hissing sound.

But the places near Belgium, don't have that sound, they use a normal G sound. (with a Dutch accent though *lol*)
Always sounds like the German "ch" in "ich". But, that might have just been the way the person I've heard pronounced it, rather than the normal Flemmish pronunciation. o.o

I have no idea at all, where certain places are in Holland , I only know Maastricht, since I used to live 15 minutes away.
Ah, I see. I spent a Summer (in 2003) IN Holland, but have tried to make myself familier with the Geography for the last 3 years.

Originally posted by ThiagoPE
Now you touched in that subject, i need to tell you that: this thing of the people of Europe, of so much difernt culltures, of so much diferent languages, can be so much... united.
Here in my country is just you cross the border of your state to be disrespected and discriminated.
Europe is also different from America in this regard. America is very, very snippy about their borders. Especially in regards to people south of the border. But up north, Canada and America are barely tollerating each other.. like two rival cousins stuck at a family reunion.

I think you'll find that in every country. I know Belgium people who don't like the people from The Netherlands, or who don't like Germans ...

(Snip)
As you mentioned, the Dutch and Germans. They generally get along with each other, but the Dutch, ESPECIALLY the older generations, hold quite the grudge. Though, I think it is generally not too dangerous for a German to go places in Holland - and of course, in my experience ALL generations of Dutchies get offended if you confuse them with Germans (to the point where if you make a simple mistake, like "Isn't 'hart' German?" they will stone you to death... in the not-good way).. I heard there are places in England where it is not advisable to go if you are German..

And, of course, the Dutch have all their anti-Belgian jokes. I don't remember any right off the top of my head, but they get pretty silly.

I think every where you go there will be some sort of tension between one group and another.. the only question really is: how dangerous does the rivalry get? In some places, it can be a threat to your health (as in, some place in England where some of the British are known to beat up Germans.. And, of course, there are wars over this very thing going on in the now.) o.o

Originally posted by This land
Gutentag, wilkommen!!! Veges?
(sorry for bad spelling )

I hope you enjoy lea and have a good time
Guten Tag! Freut mich.
Ich danke Dir f?r die sch?ne Gr??e!
Ich bin sehr gut! Und wie geht's Dir?

(Since this board is primarily English-speaking, I will now provide the translation of what I hope I actually said:
"Good day! Pleased to meet you.
I thank you for the nice greetings!
I'm doing very good! And how are you?")

You're spelling is forgiven, but I should warn you that I had trouble figuring out what "veges" was.. I had to say it out loud. I assume you meant "Wie geht's?". ^.~