I would love to see this thread alive again now, when we have The Lion Guard.

And I would like to presents some facts.

KieranTheWolf asked Alex Simmons some questions about 6NA.

Aaaaand Phil Weinstein (Simba's Pride storyboard artist) had no idea about Kopa:
[img]Aniu: Are you familiar with Kopa, the original son of Simba and Nala? And if so, was there a reason you all opted not to put him in The Lion King 2?
Phil: No…what was his name?
Aniu: Apparently his name was Kopa, and it was—I forget exactly where the fan knowledge comes from, because I’m not—
Skul: [interrupting] I can answer that. Kopa was the son of Simba and Nala in a series of books that were published immediately after The Lion King . And there were six books total, all of them 100-page kids books, but they all had Kopa in them.
Phil: Wow. No, I wasn’t aware of that.
Skul: Yeah. A bunch of people have been wondering why it was Kiara instead of Kopa in Lion King 2 . And, I guess not even you know the answer.
Phil: No, you’re going to have to track down—gosh, I can’t even remember. Who wasit…was it Darrell Rooney that directed Lion King 2 ? Is that right? I think he was the one who ended up taking it to the finish line.
Aniu: Okay.
[Note from Skul: Yes, Darrell Rooney was the director]
Phil: So you’ll have to find him or one of the writers and ask them. They might know.
Aniu: Okay. We’ll definitely have to track him down and ask that question eventually.[/quote]
Source: http://www.animationsource.org/sites..._interview.pdf