Thanks Thanks:  20
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lion King on Broadway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a freaking cool experience Adam.

I just love that any broadway or west end actor and actress are humble enough to greet their fans.

By the Adam one question: does he ever do Scar's voice to you while you had the conversation? I seen a lot of actors do that for their fans.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's so stinkin' awesome! I would've loved to be on that flight! Can you imagine being serenaded like that, walking down the isle throuh the voices of the the broadway cast as you find your seat? So cool. x) I love the little kid scampering down the isle to come up and look at them. x3 We feel you, kid!

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That sure would put me at ease when flying for the first time in November

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They should have lifted that kid up at the very ending of the song

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

London Musical

Hi all,
    did someone of you were in the musical in London recently?

I saw it an hour ago for the second time in London and I might be wrong, but they changed a lot of things. It was shorter now, which is not surprising because they announced to cut some scenes a few years ago, but did they include a new song? It was after Rafiki's mourning. I never heard this before whether in Hamburg, nor in San Francisco or New York. It is also not on the Broadway recording CD. Maybe they added this because we were such a nice audience or something went wrong in the backstage and they needed additional time? After the show they also did some singing, which I never saw before. That was very cool. :-)

Every time when I watch the musical I realize that it so dense full of symbolic I sometime can't get the hang of it. For instance when Mufasa taught Simba "a lesson" after the elephant graveyard he puts down his swords, which is somehow clear, but what is it suppose to mean that he also put his wood lion head down to them as well? Perhaps that he wants to talk to his son in private as a father not as a king? I don't really get this.
    And do you ever noticed that the hyenas has military boots on? This subconsciously emphasize the dramatic point during "Be Prepared". This goes in the same direction as some people see in the movie resemblances with some Nazi propaganda clips.
    There is a million things more of it, so if you notice something, I guess this is the right place. I usually forget most of it after a few hours. -.-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have never seen the London performance, but I've seen in in Vancouver, Spokane, New York and today I'll be seeing it in Toronto!!! Can't wait!!

Anyways, I always notice some changes between the performances. Usually about 2-4 years had passed between each showing. The first time I saw it was in Spokane in 2005 and it was the most true to the soundtrack and to my expectations. I can't remember all of the differences, but I Spokane was the only time I saw the extended CYFTLT (which was my favourite part so I was sad to see it go), and in Vancouver the stage was a little smaller so the final fight scene took place backstage a lot with just shadows. The New York one was the most spectacular as no other theatre is able to do the rising pride rock or even the stampede in the same way.

I was just looking online and apparently the morning report was cut (it was in all of the productions I saw) and they now only have 1 US touring group instead of 2. Also, apparently the chase scene between the hyenas and the cubs was cut in Chow Down.

I'll report back after tonight in Toronto and see if anything else has changed that I notice

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It has been a known-fact that there have been things cut from the show a few years ago.
    Morning Report being one of them (*yay*, haha).
    Also, Can you feel the love tonight didn't had that instrumental part anymore in it already back in 2012 when I saw it last time in London.
    (the Spanish cast recording doesn't even have the instrumental bit during the song on the CD)

And indeed, little bits were missing, I can't really tell which ones anymore, it's been just over 2 years now since I saw it the last time in London.

Amanda should be able to fill you in, I believe she has seen the show 20-21 times

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, a lot has changed since the show opened. It makes sense, all shows that have been open awhile do it. It's how they survive, even if it's just little things.

Anyway, Morning Report has been the biggest and most obvious change. I think it was cut in 2011 or 2012. The CYFTLT bit was cut earlier than that I believe. It's been a long time since I saw it. I think the last time I saw that was in 2009. "Madness of King Scar" was shortened as well sometime before that, sometime after 2007.

As for the little bit with Nala, Rafiki, and Sarabi after "Rafiki Mourns" and "Be Prepared reprise", it's always been there, and now I have it in my head. >.> It makes me teary every time.

They've also shortened the bit with Timon and Pumbaa and the bugs during "Hakuna Matata" in the last few years.

PS: Thanks for getting me to listen to my "wine" to find this info for you. I forgot how much I enjoyed Wallace Smith's Simba... Still mad my dad deleted the one from last February.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The last time I saw Morning Report and CYFtLT "in full" was in New York in 2010, so I think it's right that they removed those bits in 2011, because I remember it being announced quite soon after I'd seen it on Broadway.

It's understandable that they make changes to keep the show "alive", but I think it's a shame that they just cut things out and don't add in new bits to make up for it D:

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show is coming back to Melbourne next year so I'm hoping that Pat and I can go and see it again then. It's been a long time since I've seen it, late 2006 or early 2007? To be honest, I never liked the extended CYFTLT scene, I found it a little boring, but that's just me. Will be interesting see what it's like again, that being said, it's been so long since I've seen it that it's unlikely I'll notice the changes.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I hadn't seen it in 5 years. Definitely noticed, lol.
    I also find the part in Can you feel the love boring. And yet it was strange when I saw it last time without.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    And I'm thirding the part in CYFTLT as boring. :P I liked it when it used to have the four dancers in the background on flight. But they stopped doing that and then it got kind of boring fast.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is an old news but it's kinda related to TLKoB, During the re-released TLK movie on 3d, The Australian production brings The Lion King on Broadway at Singapore. I wasn't sure if I wanna go to Singapore to watch TLKoB over lack of money but one of my aunt offers her deal to take me there. And i politely DECLINE the offer.

But as soon I read the old TLKoB Thread, I kinda regret for not accepting the offer.

But I'm sure and hope they will bring the production to Palace of Culture here in Malaysia as Fame did back in 2002.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how I missed this before, since this is 4 month old news, but it seems that we're finally getting a version of TLKoB in Mexico!

http://waltdisneystudios.com/corp/news/1429
    Disney Theatrical Productions celebrates the announcement of two world premiere productions of THE LION KING at Shanghai Disney Resort and Mexico City, in partnership with Disney Parks and Resorts and OCESA, respectively. The announcement was made today by Thomas Schumacher, president and producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. The two productions will be the 23rd and 24th mounted around the world since the show's Broadway debut in 1997.

"It is especially exciting for us to premiere at the purpose-built theatre at the Shanghai Disney Resort, marking our first collaboration with our partners at Disney Parks and Resorts," said Thomas Schumacher, president and producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. "This uniquely Chinese production will be our most ambitious yet, featuring the very best of local talent, who will perform the show for the first time in Mandarin as they bring Julie Taymor's singular theatrical vision to life."

"We are equally thrilled to bring THE LION KING to Mexico City with our partners at OCESA," Schumacher continues. "This entirely new production will be created especially for the glorious Telcel Theatre. I am proud to continue our long history presenting our productions in Mexico."

MEXICO CITY:

THE LION KING's Spanish-language premiere in Mexico City will be produced by OCESA and will be the largest theatrical production ever to be mounted in Mexico. OCESA also produced successful productions of Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and most recently, The Disney and Cameron Mackintosh production of MARY POPPINS in 2012. The production will be performed in Spanish and will begin performances in May of 2015 at the Telcel Theatre in Mexico City.
    I really like the sound of it being the largest theatrical production ever in Mexico. I'm also curious about how it'll be watching it in Spanish, I especially look forward to hear Shadowland, The Madness of King Scar and Endless Night (I already heard a version of those in a tribute that was made here in Chihuahua long ago, but they were nowhere near official, more like a fan translation, really).
    Needless to say... I'm excited

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm hoping, just like the animated movies, there'll be a Latin-Spanish cast CD. Maybe knowing Disney, and saving money, they'll use the regular Spanish one?
    I don't understand why they didn't make one for Korea and Brazil.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If they do release a CD, they'll most likely do a new Latin-American Spanish cast one. The difference between both dialects is very notorious for us, and they might even write new and different lyrics than the European Spanish one, just like they did for the movies.

- Hamlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What can I say about The Lion King musical? That it is my all time favourite musical! (That's saying something because I love all musicals!) The costumes, the additional songs and the atmosphere are amazing!
    I saw it first when I was 6, then at 10, then 13 and finally 14! Wish I could've seen it for my birthday this year though, but I got given a theatre voucher and I really want to go again! Is 5 times too many?

I saw it in London 3 times and once on tour and i loved the way they changed the entrance of Pride Rock for the touring version!

What's everyone's favourite song/s? I love Shadowland, He Lives in You (reprise), Hakuna Matata and Endless Night. Endless Night and Mufasa's death has made me cry every single time!

I was lucky enough to see all the costumes in detail as they were on show in a gallery whilst on tour and I loved all the masks and the bead work!

Never have I seen a musical as stunning, unique and moving as The Lion King!

I wish they do a live screening of it! Did any of you catch the live screening of Billy Elliot when it was on? Hoping they'll do a Lion King version! That would be awesome!

Or if you are unable to see the Lion King, but Matilda is available definitely go and see it! Second favourite musical and is perfect for everyone - even non musical fans like my brother!!!

Anyway, back onto Lion King, go and see it!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Probabily, the mexico version will use the material of the Brazilian show, that will finish this season in 14 of december, and, as was stated in the contract Disney signed with t4f (the brazilian company that brought us the show) that the season could not last for more than two years.

re-using the materials of the musical in several versions is a usual with those musicals, the material used in brazilian version was previousily used in another version, australian if im right.

for us, what only is left to us is that feeling that a lot of brazilians lost this show because how we live in a so big country and they only showing it in only one city. is not everyone that can afford so much amounts of Money in plane ticket, hotel, and the ticket itself, that are not cheap.

I hope they come back someday, specially if they make a tour by the country, i would love bring my friends that could not go to são Paulo to watch it here in Recife.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah, when the musical ended in The Netherlands, all the stuff was transferred to France for the show.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I found an awesome site with lots of really nice photos. http://busasimba.tumblr.com It's awesome and has produced much squealing from me tonight.

*Team Night Sky*