Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What are all your pet Peeves?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It was relevant and I was annoyed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HAHA I post that last message back in 2005.

My current pet peeves is not knowing exact location through Google Map and bad instruction from someone through the phone.

But my biggest problem that I'm having my self is sleeping more than 10 or 12 hours per day.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure to what degree this would class as a pet pevee but look at this billboard ad that I see every day on my way back home from work:

Attachment 790

I always cringe whenever I look at that mascot's design. I guess it's ok for a restaurant logo, but take a look at those eyes... It’s like the right eye looks ok, but then it has an extra pupil right in the middle above his muzzle? Geez, I get the feeling that if I lift up his fringe, there might be yet another eye behind it! *shivers*

I can’t help but wonder what went through the artist’s head. Did they try to hide the left eye behind that fringe, but when it didn’t come out the way they wanted, they just gave up and decided to put an eye there anyway? Or maybe their boss didn’t like how it originally looked and ordered them to change it into this monstrosity?
    So that's my pet peeve, how these little details escape an artist's attention so easily ><

Ah well, at least they make pretty good Buffalo wings there, you should come and try them xD

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mismatched socks. I actually label mine into pairs so they stay together and age the same.

....what? xD
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, that would be annoying though. But my biggest socks pet peeves have to be looking for the other pair of socks after washing it. I would get flipped off and angry for the whole day and go to the store just to buy another one.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Is it just me ... or ... how is it possible, that kids these days (and then I'm at least talking about the teens, +15/+16 and up) have no knowledge about English what-so-ever?
    How is it possible, in a world where almost everything is in English (just turn on the TV in Belgium) people almost turning 20 "dare" to say: I don't understand/speak it

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been an English teacher at a secondary school (ages 10-12) for three years until I gave birth to my daughter. All I can say is that I was quite shocked how little effort students put into learning such an important (and great!) language nowadays.
    I tried my best to keep my lessons motivating, learner-centered and of course to capture their interest by using movies, songs, websites etc. (Heh, I wish my English teacher had done that, too... but I'm sure the internet and the whole TLK fandom did way better :P) However, my students didn't seem to care. Once I taught older pupils (around 16 years) and some of them were really were frustated. Of course that's only natural if you don't keep practising... A kind of vicious-circle, if you know what I mean. And keep in mind, I don't expect my students to become perfect native-speakers. For me it's always fluency before accuracy, but it's really hard to motivate them. Right now I'm teaching a class of refugees and asylum-seekers in German and most of them are eager to learn the language. That's quite the opposite, but there are always a few students who don't care.

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to agree on this one, Speaking and using English is vital in current generation. The teachers should push their student to be fluent and understanding it.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's just that, it's everywhere around us, you can't turn on the TV without 90 % of things being in English.
    (I guess it does differ in Germany and France, for example, as those are 2 countries still very hung up on dubbing things instead of using subs).
    But then still ... going with my sister to London for 4 days, who kind of refused to speak English, because her speach wasn't right, and usually she didn't know how to answer back (but she could understand). I find that odd, in this day and age, that a 21-year old can't speak English, and won't even when you're in the country.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ I couldn't speak properly in English when I was 17, you can tell by the posts I made decade ago.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathalie View Post
    [...]
    But then still ... going with my sister to London for 4 days, who kind of refused to speak English, because her speach wasn't right, and usually she didn't know how to answer back (but she could understand). I find that odd, in this day and age, that a 21-year old can't speak English, and won't even when you're in the country.
    Well, there's a name for something similiar. When a language learner acquires a new language there is a so-called "silent period". Simply put, people first listen and then after a while they start to talk. It's just what babies do when they learn how to speak. Of course when you learn a second or even a third language it's a whole different matter and more complicated, but some things are similiar to your first language acquisition. I could observe this "silent period" in my class, too. Regardless if I taught English or German. But this period is bound to end someday. At least if I do my job right
    Many pupils start talking right away, others need their time. Those who do, need a lot of patience and encouragement.
    Your sister however isn't just stuck in this "silent period". It's more like her being insecure while speaking English is keeping her from talking at all. This is where I as a teacher would have to encourage her to use the new language and also to make mistakes. But of course she's no longer at school so that won't happen. As for being able to understand: Understaning always comes first. Or let's say first comes the hearing, then the speaking. So of course she might be able to understand everything, but she is clearly lacking the speaking skill. If she's focused on "getting everything right" (probably encouraged from her experiences at school?) she doesn't have the courage to speak and thus she's in danger of never finding it. When I talk to a native-speaker, I'm also very nervous at frist. I studied English at university a few years ago (yeah... there's nothing much left of that, since I don't use English as frequently as I used to... quite a shame :P). my teachers/professors emphasized so much on getting everything right that I really have a hard time to talk freely, even now. With my students around it's a whole different story.
    Of course, as an English teacher you have to be a role model and get things right. However, this pressure keeps me from using the English language naturally because I kept thinking "Oh no! Now you're doing it all wrong! The pronunciation, the gammar...everything!" That's stupid, I know. But it's just the way that my mind works at times.
    That's why I'm very reserved when I meet a native-speaker with other English-speaking people around. I tehn tend to hold back a little for about half an hour or so, before I really join the conversation. Of course I'm still able to talk right away when I have to and that's not really a problem at all. I just like it when I have a little time to "adjust" my mind to the language... Quite hard to explain. My brain starts thinkng in English then and this is easier when I don't have to think about making mistakes all the time. I hope you can understand what I mean. But I know that I shouldn't be worried about my English at all.
    I think that's an experience that your sister lacks; being able to communicate freely without the fear of making a mistake. Or perhaps noticing that other people will understand her, even if she makes mistakes. Perhaps she's a shy person and that adds to it. I don't know.
    The question is, how can she break this circle if she doesn't have the courage to "to swallow her pride"? In German we have a figure of speech for this, it's called "über den eigenen Schatten springen" literally meaning "to jump over one's shadow". It means you have to do something you're reluctant to do. Perhaps your sister would have been forced to speak English if you hadn't been around, but I doubt she'd have gone there all by herself
    She probably likes to "lean back" a little when others are there to do the communication for you. Just like I do, when I talk to a native-speaker and others are around. But at least I know that and I know how to find the self-confidence when I need it. I was even forced to talk French when my husband and I went to Paris or when I talked to some French-speaking actors of "Lion King in Hamburg" and I hadn't used French in ages... On top of that I didn't have much experience with French to begin with: just three years at school, then I decided that it's not really my favourite subject . But I managed somehow and I guess this experienced helped me a lot. I hope your sister will have the opportunity to find her courage one day, too.

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I must say the English we were taught in school was, especially in the end (like most things in school) completely useless. Sorry, but we could roughly apply the language in practical use and then we read a lot of Shakespeare's works. Nice if you want to study English literature, but I doubt that many of the pupils went down this road. So we couldn't understand much from the daily used talks in TV/movies or how to write a thesis/fill an English form, but we could write an essays about Shakespeare's poetry, who actually used grammatical constructs no one is using today. I still remember one of these sonnets:

Shall I compare thee to a summerss day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate,
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And summers lease hath all too short a date...

How is this gonna help me to write correct English, when we are fed with wrong grammatic? Even now after >10 years and a lot of practice on business trips with native English speaking customers etc. I don't get the vocabulary and grammatic stuff right. Not to mention the pronunciation. After the first sentence and in NY directly after telling the taxi driver where I want to go I hear: "Ahh, you're from Germany?" *grrr* Most taxi drivers are trained of course.

But it's not a particular German problem. I witness this everywhere. For instance in Spain I especially picked a young guy to ask for next the tram station: "No habla ingles". Maybe he didn't want to, but that actually happened to me a lot. Worst country from my experience is Japan. When you're lucky and they remember some english from school it is only some phrases, but no understanding of the language at all.

I think it is time for an synthetic world language everyone has to speak fluently. ;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I practically live in the Mexico/US border, and still it amazes me the number of people here who can't speak English beyond a few sentences. English lessons are mandatory in most schools, but even here there's the same problem as in Germany and Belgium, schools don't know how to teach it properly and people just don't care about how important is to learn it. Even at college level I still see people who sound like they never took an English subject at school. I remember a semester when we had to write papers based on scientific articles that were in English, and a few classmates came to me offering to pay me for translating the articles for them. I'm always up for helping if someone needs a hand, but these guys were practically asking me to do their homework, and I of course refused It wasn't even that hard to get, if they took a dictionary for key words or something I'm sure they could have done a decent work, but they prefer to go the easy route and ask someone to do it for them.

Thankfully my family had these concerns too, and I took private English lessons when I was a teenager with an amazing teacher that really encouraged conversation. It was great because she was a very fun person to talk to personally instead of in a classroom full of people, and she was a native English speaker too, which really helped.
    That said, I still had that "silent period" Kirauni mentioned: Even after taking lessons like those, one still gets nervous when having to be by themselves in an English speaking country. That isn't a problem in El Paso, TX (the city I frequently go to) because a lot of people speak Spanish there, so if someone sees you struggling with English they immediately assume you're Mexican and start speaking in Spanish for you. But that's not the case in other places, it does take some getting used to. And by the time I finally mastered it, I travelled to England, where I found the accent so different it that it was like starting my "silent period" all over again

Quote Originally Posted by s-tlk View Post
    But it's not a particular German problem. I witness this everywhere. For instance in Spain I especially picked a young guy to ask for next the tram station: "No habla ingles". Maybe he didn't want to, but that actually happened to me a lot.
    Aaah yes, as bad as Mexico has it, it's still not as bad as in Spain, where they seem to actively refuse to incorporate English in their lives. I went there for a few weeks once, it was nice to be in another country where they also speak Spanish (although somewhat differently), but I actually got to miss English, it's practically nowhere. At least in Mexico movies in cinema are subtitled, everything in Spain is dubbed and I grew tired of it very quickly. They also tend to change foreign-sounding names to fit them in their language, like for example, I know for a fact that in their Spanish dub of The Lion Guard, "Kion" will be pronounced like "Kee-on", because that's how it makes sense for them when reading it in written form. They don't do that in Mexico, at least

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Pft, people that only speak English can barely speak it. One of my biggest annoyances is when people say "mines" instead of just "mine". For example, "That candy is mines." Ugggggh! I hear some of the adults at school say it too, and it's just so frustrating. I mean, I know the kids' way of speaking can rub off on your sometimes, and it's ok to be silly, but come on.

On another note, this is my BIGGEST pet peeve right here:

NO. Swahili is NOT a symbolic language. It's just not. This is a squiggle. It means nothing. At best, it's from a Korean movie. And people get this tattooed? I mean, tattoo whatever you want, but don't go around saying it's "hakuna matata" when it's not. This gets me so worked up whenever I see it, Dawn thinks it's hilarious. So I guess my real pet peeve here is ignorance? People need to research and learn, especially before getting something permanently placed on your skin.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Kirauni, my sister didn't speak it at all. On day 4 I still needed to help with everything in stores etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    -Means of public transport
    -Very crowded places in general
    -Rude/noisy people
    -Extremism of any kind

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Liars.

Seriously, is the word "stupid" written on my forehead ??
    How people think they can just get away with it, I don't know ... at least it says more about them.
    And if you do lie, make it air-tight, 'cause you know ... otherwhise I'll find out

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu