Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics from New York, UK Trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pics from New York, UK Trip

I started a new thread for this because I guess someone merged my old one with the general TLKOB thread and this doesn't have too much to do with TLKOB, it's all good though.

Here are some pics I took of lions in London and the UK:

A beautiful lion sculpture in the courtyard of Edinburgh Castle in Scotland

This is one of my favorites, a forlorn-looking white lion on the south side of the Westminster Bridge

A cool-looking lion outside of the famous Westminster Abbey in London

One of a few enormous lion sculptures in London's Trafalgar Square

What are these lions doing? They can be found just down the street from the Prime Minister's house near Downing Street

A coat of arms I photographed in the city of York, England, emblazoned by 5 gold lions

Lion sculptures guarding Buckingham Palace. The Queen has good taste!

This coat of arms was inside Edinburgh Castle, I found it dates back to the 1400's and the rule of King James

That's it for now, more pics coming soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are some photos from New York City, emphasis on TLKOB stuff! Enjoy!

Right in front of the New Amsterdam Theatre. They switch this billboard every season, last year it was the red one with leaping gazelles!

A little dark, this is the stage curtain seen as seen before the show.

A life-size Sarabi headpiece on display in the gift shop! Allows guests to get up close and see the incredible design on these extraordinary pieces of art.

Did you know Zazu's neck is made out of a baby slinky toy and his feathers are stretched spandex?

This was SO cool, a life-size statuette of Scar in full costume!

The Disney Store in NYC - I'm holding the adorable soft Nala plush I bought. Took up a LOT of room in my small suitcase!

The Times Square McDonalds (right next to New Amsterdam Theatre) the largest McD's in the United States! 2 floors, 12 cash registers and tens of thousands of customers each day!

I swear Times Square is one BIG advertisement for the world to see.

Here's an ad for Rev. Billy Graham's (probably last) revival at Flushing Meadows in New York

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shot of a NYC subway train. First time we rode the subway we ended up in Brooklyn because we thought "downtown" meant Times Square. Oops!

The magnificent Empire State Building as seen from the ground on 5th Avenue. All 1,454 feet of it!

5th Avenue as seen from the 86th floor observatory, 1050 feet in the air. I'm getting dizzy!

Downtown Manhattan.

I couldn't resist the miniature bowling game at the Times Square ESPN zone arcade. High-tech stuff!

It was my sister's dream to see The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and I was happy to be able to help her fulfill that dream. Great show! (not as good as TLKOB of course)

That's all for New York, London pics coming next!

And I do need to say something about TLKOB, if you're in the area you MUST take the time to see in on Broadway at the New Amsterdam, where TLKOB was meant to be seen. Favorite actors were Kissy Simmons as Nala, she had an INCREDIBLE singing voice you need to hear to believe, and Danny Rutigliano as Timon and Tom Robbins (yes he's the original Pumbaa!!!) make a great comic duo, even better than the traveling production I think.

Scar had an annoying sarcastic twang in his voice that was hard to get over, and also he put emphasis on the wrong words in his lines a lot - for example in one of the most dramatic moments when he throws Mufasa off the cliff he goes "LONG live the king" instead of "Long Live THE KING!" Little things like that were to my dislike, but that's just me. Overall he played the part well.

Best part... when Mufasa's ghost is revealed. Unlike the traveling TLKOB production, at the New Amsterdam you could see the ghost materialize slowly as Rafiki is singing the "He Lives in You" reprise , the little dots of light come together and then BAM the entire face is there and the audience gasps in awe as it starts speaking to Simba. Sends shivers down my spine just describing it here. The emotion and power of this scene alone is what I look forward to most about TLKOB. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thats one big lion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy moly! That's so awesome!

"Fruit and Walnut Salad"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the Mufasa's Ghost scene was so amazing. I saw the show in London. Cool Nala plushie btw - I want one! Ooooh - many Flounders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oooh, think england will sell tha tlion statue? I'll put it in my yard.. I'll jus thav eto move tha thouse xD xD xD

Seriously though, awesome pictures =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, sure, yes, wonderful, give me even greater incentive to try and find a way to see a showing of TLKoB at the New Amsterdam. Such a convenient trip that would be, considering the three-thousand miles that lie between me and the theatre. Yes, yes, it's more difficult for fans living outside of the United States to see the show at its home location, but the challenge is still there, regardless. :P

The touring group that stops nearby in Portland this fall will have to suffice until I can nail down the logistics for a New York expedition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been trying to see that show since it came out.. and I still have not succeeded =/ >< But I shall!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice pictures man. I can't wait to see TLKOB now. New Amsterdam Theater? Is that the theater that The Lion King played in? Cause I just might go to the Mcdonalds before the show on Sunday if yes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lion_King_300

This is one of my favorites, a forlorn-looking white lion on the south side of the Westminster Bridge
    I love that one. ^_^

Thanks so much for all the pics Lion_King_300! That's so awesome! It's so cool how the puppets and costumes are on display to the public! Wow! I wish I could see that! I really like the Zazu puppet hehe. (Well I liked lots of the puppets, Zazu and the hyenas I think were really neat) And of course the costumes and masks are great. I've never been to New York though... But if I did go, I would like to see TLKoB there. I've only seen the traveling cast of TLKoB, since so far I have only seen it in San Francisco and Sacramento. Cute Nala plushie you are buying! (Hey! Now I know what you look like! I'll be able to recognize you when we meet up to see TLKoB this September! ) My b/f bought that same Simba and Nala plushie at Disneyland last May. (I'm going back to Disneyland next month too! *weeeeee* I'm definitely going to see that TLK float. ) That's cool you got to see The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway as well. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I did like the movie of it that recently came out. The only show I have ever seen on Broadway is TLKoB.

Originally posted by nafklt
    "Fruit and Walnut Salad"
    I've actually had that salad before! It's pretty good, but they don't give you much, it just seems like a snack to me.

Originally posted by Bahati
    The touring group that stops nearby in Portland this fall will have to suffice until I can nail down the logistics for a New York expedition.
    You're going to see it in Portland Oregon? Lion_King_300 is going to see it in there on September 13. I'm going to meet up with him to see it, and Starlioness will be there too. I can't wait! Hehe.

Thanks for all the pics Lion_King_300! Can't wait to see more!
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sweet pics!!!....New York City has always been a place I wanted to visit....Living there is another story, though....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pics from New York, UK Trip

Lion sculptures guarding Buckingham Palace. The Queen has good taste!
    There was something similar to that guarding the palace in Brussels. I should've got some photos.

Cool photos anyways, thanks for sharing. Looks like you had one awesome trip.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't you just love NYC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by la_reina
    Don't you just love NYC?
    I so wish I could live there. I swear if living there didn't cost so much money that would have been the perfect place for me to live. And that DIsney Store they have there...... How come we can't have one of those that big in New Jersey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great Pics!! I'm so jealous. But I would NEVER want to live in NYC. I would LOVE to visit, but it's just too much for me to actually stay there. Did you know that when you're there, you're never more than three feet away from a rat? But whatever, that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba22
    I so wish I could live there. I swear if living there didn't cost so much money that would have been the perfect place for me to live. And that DIsney Store they have there...... How come we can't have one of those that big in New Jersey.
    I dunno about live there, I get pretty ticked off when the environment's too loud
    But I sure would love to visit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by la_reina
    I dunno about live there, I get pretty ticked off when the environment's too loud
    But I sure would love to visit
    I know how that is. When I went to New York for a class field trip. We stayed in a hotel in New York City for 3 days 2 nights. And let me tell you it was darn near impossible to get to sleep. And the minute I was about too I'd hear Horns honking, or tires squeling, or Sirens going off or the sound of lids being put on metal trash cans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New Amsterdam Theater? Is that the theater that The Lion King played in?
    Yep, Disney bought it out in the early 90's and the Lion King has been playing there since fall of 1997, and is still playing to sold-out audiences eight years later! Hopefully it'll be around for a long time and give Cats a run for the longest-running musical, but Phantom's getting up there too.

I definitely agree about not living in NYC I don't like excess noise either and I don't think we went for more than about 15 seconds without hearing a blaring horn or siren of some sort... I love the city for walking and sightseeing and I'd love to go back for another week and see the Statue and Ground Zero and all the stuff I wasn't able to do the first time, but it's just way too crowded, loud and dirty for me to live there.

Then again I stayed in Midtown Manhattan and that's the worst area, I'm sure the other boroughs are nicer and more people-friendly but of course in the movies and stuff all we see is Manhattan.

Glad everyone likes the pics, always happy to share w/you guys!

Oh, and a funny story about the Disney Store in NYC...

I thought the Disney Store was right next to the New Amsterdam Theatre because it used to be there for years. Little did I know that a few months ago it moved quite far away! The theatre is on 42nd Street, and the Disney Store Located to 55th Street and 5th Avenue, meaning to get there we had to walk 2 blocks west and 13 blocks south to get to the store!

Of course I didn't know where it was, and neither did anyone else. I ask a convenience store guy where Disney Store is... he points to the left and says nothing else. We walk down a few blocks, no Disney store. I go into another store and ask, manager says "Hmmm I know the Disney store moved... I forgot where, I think somewhere on 5th Avenue..."

So we walk to 5th and ask some pedestrians. Nobody knows. Into ANOTHER store and ask a clerk. He says 5th avenue and 50th street. We get there, no Disney Store. By this time it's past 7:00 and TLKOB starts at 8:00, we're already 12 blocks away and my sister is begging for us to go back. NO WE WILL FIND THIS DARN DISNEY STORE!

:roars:

Finally I go into one last store to ask for directions, and the guys goes, "oh yes, the Disney Store, 5th Ave and 55th Street, 5 blocks further down." Finally!

My sister is so pooped she insists we take a taxi back to the New Amsterdam, we'd never make it back in time walking anyways.

So at about 7:40 we leave and stand on the corner and try to hail a cab. No luck, they're all full. We start to PANIC. I'm sure we looked like morons speed-walking back to Times Square looking over our heads with one arm in the air.

It's now 7:47 and we're about halfway back. A CAB STOPS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US TO LET SOME PEOPLE OUT!!! YAAAY!!!

So of course we quickly jump in and tell him where to go. He doesn't move. "Sorry, I'm all done today. No more!" I thought he was joking. "Please sir we're late and it's only a few blocks..." "NO I'm FINISHED, they go to theatre too, get out please"

WHAT A JERK!

So now it's 7:52 and we've got a long way to go back to the theatre. Time to run. Dodging taxis, pedestrians, and hot dog stands we make it back, exhausted, at precisely 7:59PM for an 8:00 start time. We barely get to our seats, I don't even have enough time to open the Playbill and the lights dim.

All this for a Nala plush?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, Disney bought it out in the early 90's and the Lion King has been playing there since fall of 1997, and is still playing to sold-out audiences eight years later! Hopefully it'll be around for a long time and give Cats a run for the longest-running musical, but Phantom's getting up there too.

I definitely agree about not living in NYC I don't like excess noise either and I don't think we went for more than about 15 seconds without hearing a blaring horn or siren of some sort... I love the city for walking and sightseeing and I'd love to go back for another week and see the Statue and Ground Zero and all the stuff I wasn't able to do the first time, but it's just way too crowded, loud and dirty for me to live there.

Then again I stayed in Midtown Manhattan and that's the worst area, I'm sure the other boroughs are nicer and more people-friendly but of course in the movies and stuff all we see is Manhattan.

Glad everyone likes the pics, always happy to share w/you guys!

Oh, and a funny story about the Disney Store in NYC...

I thought the Disney Store was right next to the New Amsterdam Theatre because it used to be there for years. Little did I know that a few months ago it moved quite far away! The theatre is on 42nd Street, and the Disney Store Located to 55th Street and 5th Avenue, meaning to get there we had to walk 2 blocks west and 13 blocks south to get to the store!

Of course I didn't know where it was, and neither did anyone else. I ask a convenience store guy where Disney Store is... he points to the left and says nothing else. We walk down a few blocks, no Disney store. I go into another store and ask, manager says "Hmmm I know the Disney store moved... I forgot where, I think somewhere on 5th Avenue..."

So we walk to 5th and ask some pedestrians. Nobody knows. Into ANOTHER store and ask a clerk. He says 5th avenue and 50th street. We get there, no Disney Store. By this time it's past 7:00 and TLKOB starts at 8:00, we're already 12 blocks away and my sister is begging for us to go back. NO WE WILL FIND THIS DARN DISNEY STORE!

:roars:

Finally I go into one last store to ask for directions, and the guys goes, "oh yes, the Disney Store, 5th Ave and 55th Street, 5 blocks further down." Finally!

My sister is so pooped she insists we take a taxi back to the New Amsterdam, we'd never make it back in time walking anyways.

So at about 7:40 we leave and stand on the corner and try to hail a cab. No luck, they're all full. We start to PANIC. I'm sure we looked like morons speed-walking back to Times Square looking over our heads with one arm in the air.

It's now 7:47 and we're about halfway back. A CAB STOPS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US TO LET SOME PEOPLE OUT!!! YAAAY!!!

So of course we quickly jump in and tell him where to go. He doesn't move. "Sorry, I'm all done today. No more!" I thought he was joking. "Please sir we're late and it's only a few blocks..." "NO I'm FINISHED, they go to theatre too, get out please"

WHAT A JERK!

So now it's 7:52 and we've got a long way to go back to the theatre. Time to run. Dodging taxis, pedestrians, and hot dog stands we make it back, exhausted, at precisely 7:59PM for an 8:00 start time. We barely get to our seats, I don't even have enough time to open the Playbill and the lights dim.

All this for a Nala plush?

Wow, sounds like a pretty amazing trip. You were lucky you got back in time LK 3000.

Note to self: Never go to Disney Store before going to see the Lion King play.