Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Book Talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. In January we will be studying it in my Children's Literature class, so I am getting ahead.

*Is a geek*

I recently read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. That was great! That was for class, too. I don't read anything but course books now...but I am getting the Narnia books for Christmas. The Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe was a part of my course and I loved it so I want the whole set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's cool, Lucy I still need to read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe before I get a chance to see the movie. BTW, wasn't The Secret Garden written by Charles Dickens...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by la_reina
    BTW, wasn't The Secret Garden written by Charles Dickens...?
    Nope. It was written by a woman called Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keeping the Aspidistra Flying: just an amazing piece of writing. Seriously, I rec the Hell out of it. Go read!

By mister George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm reading like 3 books because one: I want to read them for fun and two : two of them are required for school and I'm 5 weeks behind in school. Then whatta you know, they suspend me cuz my mom forgot the payment so I have 15 days of freedom right there.

I'm Sir henry the 8th I am I am.

I'm reading : Charles Dickens 'Hard Times' -
    Summer of my German Soldier *Every school year I have to read this * -
    Treasure Island *I know,I know. Most people read this before they can speak but what are you gunna do* -
    Star Wars 'Shatterpoint' A Clone Wars Novel

I like alot of the Star Wars Novels, they are very entertaining. I've read one about a trooper and his buddies a while back.

I have a question though. My brother in law has the Chronicle of Narnia books, and they place The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe as the FIRST book in the series. Isn't the Magicians Nephew first? I have newer ones, both in a book by themself, and also a GIANT book with all of them stored in there. But he has a 70's set. I wonder.

Barnaby Jones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just finished my book but I'm hopeing to buy 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My favorite book series is the Dear Dumb Diary series by Jim Benton. Even if you're not in middleschool, it's a great laugh XD Even my 30 year old cousin wants to read it XD
    Sample 1 (from the third book):

Dear Dumb Diary,

That?s right today is Thursday. And Thursday, at Mackerel Middle School and other penitentiaries, is traditionally Meat Loaf Day. That means it?s also the day we traditionally get all sorts of grief from Miss. Bruntford, the cafeteria monitor, for not finishing out meat loaf.

Today, I quietly mentioned that the people on Fear Factor wouldn?t be able to finish our meat loaf, either. Evidentially, I said it loud enough for Miss. Bruntford?s houndlike ears to pick up, because she came right over and said to me, ?What? What is so terrible about this meat loaf??

And then, Dumb Diary, she took a bite.

Okay, here?s the thing: I don?t hate teachers. I actually like some of them. (One time, I even saw one at the mall and she was buying underwear such as actual people wear.)

But When Miss Bruntford took a bite of the meat loaf, and her mouth was filled with the flavor that many have described as a combination of a petting zoo in July and a burning bag of hair, well, I have to tell you, it was a beautiful, beautiful moment.

I?m not even sure how to describe it exactly. I think Miss Bruntford herself summed it up best when she said?"Call 9-1-1!"

Sample 2 (from the first book):
    Dear Dumb Diary,

School was okay today. Actually, it was better than okay. Angeline got her long, beautiful hair tangled in one of the jillion things she has dangling from her backpack, and the school nurse ? who is now one of my main heroes - took a pair of scissors and snipped two feet of silky blond hair from the left side of her head, so now Angeline only looks like The Prettiest Girl in the World if you're standing on her right. (Although personally, I think she would look better if I was standing on her neck.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I erm...managed to 'get' my Narnia set early, hehe. I spent the afternoon reading 'The Magician's Nephew' and it was fantastic!! I can't wait to read the others.

I just love the cover art on the set I got. I didn't want the new one with the scenes from the movie, so I got a slightly older but still new version, before movie hype. *Points to sig*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Books and the like

I know this has been done before, but I'm not really one to go out of my way to search for a thread and revive it, probably because I'm too lazy, probably because I haven't started a thread in a while, maybe both. Or something like that.

So, um, post whatever about books here. Or anything about literature you want. I dunno, just whatever you want to post. Or post something you've wrote yourself (or if it's too long, a link to it from another website).

So, why did I start this? 2 reasons. First, I found out I'm gonna become a published author. Okay, it's one poem in an anthology of young people's work only available by mail order, but hell, it's a start.

Second, I just read Animal Farm by George Orwell, perhaps one of the best books I've ever read. If I can be bothered to elaborate on that later, I will. But for now, let's just say it's a bloody good read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yay! A literature thread.

And hi there, Monai, haven't seen you around in a while. Congrats on the poem, my brother had a poem published in one of those anthology things I think.

Orwell is awesome. Enough said. I really need to re-read Animal Farm, haven't read it in years, it would fit in nicely with my Totalitarian State course.

I've pretty much been reading books just on my Children's Literature course recently. Favourites have been Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Secret Garden...as well as Peter and Wendy. Yesterday we were analysing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in class...we were surprisingly harsh, lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No offense, but euhm ...

*threads merged*

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I'm currently on the 9th book ( there are 15 in the series (12 main books and 3 prequals) It's an awsome series I mean I'm really engrossed in it. Oh yeah one prequal hasn't come out yet. It's called The Rapture.
    Siggy pic made by Simba '04

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Memoirs of a Geisha!

Just a beautiful, beautiful book. You'll grow to love Sayuri.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Brief History of the Dead
    by Kevin Brockmeier

I read it a couple weeks ago...kind of made my head hurt a little, but that's just because it has a rather interesting outlook on what happens after we die...I kinda liked it. =^^=

Makes me want to move to Antarctica though.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    Memoirs of a Geisha!

Just a beautiful, beautiful book. You'll grow to love Sayuri.
    It really is a beautiful book. I read it a few years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    /dies. I finished The Adventures of Robin Hood for my Pentathalon class a few days ago. Vedy, vedy boring, but I don't generally like reading things I've been forced to. Luuuuckily, I have dropped out of Pentathalon, so it doesn't really matter, gar. :D

So um, yes. I think I'll start reading The Lord of the Rings series now, since the farthest I ever got was halfway through The Hobbit, argh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Stephen King is an awesome writer, he writes horror and a lot of his books have been made into movies. You probably all already know that.
    Another great writer is Brian Jacques, he wrote the Redwall series. You can find out more on his site http://www.redwall.org.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Memoirs of a Geisha! - read it a few years ago to - great book!

Anyway, I recently read a book called The white Masai ( actually Die Weisse Massai ) and I thought I should let you guys know. It's an autobiography of a Swiss woman falling in love with a Massai and moving to Kenya. It really gives you a lot of insight into the African way of living from an ordinary persons point of view.

btw. for those who don't like to read (freaks! J/K ) there's a theatrical relase. It's in German and they focused on the whole love-drama thing but it's nice too.

Here's a link to the movie page: http://film.de/moviespecials.php/id/5749/ and go to Seite ?ffnen - love the music on the flash page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone has probably already mentioned this book, but Jurassic Park is a great one to read (my fav book, yay!). I absolutely love Michael Crichton's books! I enjoy the scientific explanations etc in the story. Besides, it's about DINOSAURS! Hehe, that's all you gotta say to me to get me to read a book like that.

Also, The Lord of the Rings books are great! I've only had time in my life to read each one once, but I will eventually re-read them in the future. It's just such a great storyline and (I know it sounds dramatic or like a pro or something, but seriously!) it kinda does take you on an adventure as you read. I loved those books so much!

If I think of others that are great, I'll be sure to post 'em here.
    Artwork:
    Lion King Fanart Page · Deviantart Page ·
    Furaffinity Page

Telegram: @EvaJanus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    mt personal favorites are:

Lord of the rings - used to read these ones a lot...
    Hobbit - see above...
    Macbeth - I dunno why but I found it perfectly easy to read
    Hamlet -... what can I say, great book ...
    Bible - the one book I read the most and no, I'm not saying this because 'oh as a christian you must like this book the best ..' ... no I like it because it's very interesting all the things written within...