Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah sparknotes got me through 11th and 12th grade lit/civ classes. Not so much for the reading part, which is easy to do if you have the time and resolve, but more for the comprehension part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a suggestion, how about we catalog our recommandations into :
    fiction&literatue/science/fantasy/historical

That will make it easier to browse

I recommand:
    Fantasy: The War of Ancient trilogy by Richard A. Knaak. and The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb. Both are great book for Warcraft fans and general fantasy reader.

Fiction&Literature: Sens & Sensibility by Jane Austen. This recommadation is for the classic fans. this book is incredible which deal with the social life of a typical middle-upper class family in 19th centural England. The ever self-concious vioce of the Jane Austen was never better convened.

science: Art of Being A Lion, yes, that's also the best in my collecitons. Another one is Tiger by Stephen Mills, provide variety of up-to-date information accompanied by quality photographs

Unclassified The Gentle Kindom by John Burkitt and David Mories. This is offical name of CoTPL and its related sequal. Despite what everyone have said about it, this novel remains the truest it not the best words I've ever read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh....sparknotes, my saviour!

I am currently reading some children's books for my Children's Literature course at University. I have to read:

Some classical fairy tale collection.
    A Wrinkle in Time by M. L. Engle.
    Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
    The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling.
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L.F. Baum.

Has anyone read any of those? I have read the Harry Potter one, but that's it, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've read Philosopher's Stone and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.. I thought the latter was kinda boring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia should really be read as a whole series. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular book but it doesn't go into much detail about the world that Lewis created.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good Reads:

"Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriquez" (autobiographical essays)

"Teaching a Stone to Talk" by Annie Dillard (crazy random musings)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sombolia
    I've read Philosopher's Stone and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.. I thought the latter was kinda boring
    shouldn't find that surprising if you know the time they were wrote have a difference of a half century.

Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    The C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia should really be read as a whole series. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular book but it doesn't go into much detail about the world that Lewis created.
    in that regard, is The Migican's Nephew a far better one than the rest or it's just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Huma
    shouldn't find that surprising if you know the time they were wrote have a difference of a half century.
    I wasn't comparing the two in any sense.. I was just saying, I thought it was boring. And yea, I'm aware of the time difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Huma
    in that regard, is The Magican's Nephew a far better one than the rest or it's just me?
    I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CHRONICLES OF NARNIA-C.S Lewis

A WRINKLE IN TIME and A WIND IN THE DOOR and MANY WATERS and A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT by Madeliene L'Engle

ART OF THE LION KING

ONCE AND FUTURE KING-T.H White

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-Roald Dahl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written.
    My favorite is The Silver Chair .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just wondering here has any one read or is reading The Time Traver's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ? i m going to read it soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No...never heard of it, actually. Do you know what it's about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sombolia
    I wasn't comparing the two in any sense.. I was just saying, I thought it was boring. And yea, I'm aware of the time difference.
    my misunderstanding then, just found interesting how fantasies changed with the era.

I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written
    I havn't read the last one, got stuck on The Sliver Chair, thought this one revealed plot too quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler Very good, though I must warn thee of profanity and sexual moments...sort of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading Jane Eyre. I'm still kinda in the beginning. If anyone has read it, please give me your opinion, I would like to know if I should continue or not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The greatest book, I think, is 'Fearless' by Francine Pascal. It's actualy a book series about a girl named Gaia (pronounced: guy-uh) who was born without the fear gene. There are 36 books in the series, at least 3 super editions, and now there is a new series called 'Fearless:FBI' where she's 20 and joins the FBI. The only bad thing that I can think of is that it's rated PG-13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "National Geographic's: Encyclopedia of SPACE"

-BY: Linda K. Glover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ''Like Water for Chocolate'' by Laura Esquivel Read this if you enjoy drama/romance. It's a little surreal in some ways, but it's a very good novel. After you read it, try and watch the film too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and "A Wrinkle in Time" are both good, even for adults--and I'm 16.