Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Book Talk

I'd like to thank Mizani for this idea
    So, well, it's obvious what we're supposed to talk about here, right? Everyone recommends books to each other without giving spoilers. I go to the library often and sometimes leave empty handed because I can't find anything to read so, tell everyone your ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Art Of Being A Lion! the only book i own!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay...how about I recommend one.

If anyone here likes novels, then read Necessary Roughness by Marie G. Lee I'm in a hurry, so I'll post a passage later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehe, i would Recommend "The Coming Global Superstorm".

it probabally wont be your sort of read, but i read it because it was the book that inspired "The day After Tomorrow".

but apart from that one, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is good too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't like reading, which is mainly the reason why I only ever look at the pictures in a book x)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I have 1 book, which I bought 2 years ago, and got it from the 10-12 year old section, haha ...

If only I can find the English name of the book ... aha :knowdees: : Charmed life (in Dutch: the 9 lives)

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I highly recommend books written by Dan Brown, for example 'Angels and Demons', 'The Davinci Code' (in which TLK is mentioned ), 'Digital Fortress' and 'Deception Point'. I'm reading 'The Davinci Code' at the moment and I've still got to read 'Digital Fortress'. I like his books very much, those are great Thrillers! Especially since they include 'organisations' from our 'daily life' and show how dangerous they and their technologies can be..

Besides books written by Dan Brown I like Books by Walter Moers, a german author, who wrote 'The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Blaub?r' (Don't know if they translated Blaub?r in something like Bluebear in the english version) and 'Rumo'. He also wrote some other books which i can recommend as well.

I also used to read books by Stephen King, such as 'The Girl who loved Tom Gordon', 'It' of course and 'Shining' - also thrilling books but much more 'bloody' than Dan Brown for example, so ask yourself if you like that kind of books before you start reading..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm.. I'm mostly into ficiton, true stories only interest me if they have to do with anything but something you'd find int he news. When I read I want to be carried off to another world, not concentrating on the one I'm in =P

Thus, I go for 'The Chronicles of Narnia' of course! xP

Some other good books I'd say are the classics. Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick, Gulliver's Travels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (movie is better though xD), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc.. books like that

One true story that I did enjoy eading was 'The Wounded Spirit' by Frank Peretti (usually a fiction writer, this being his only true story).

Oh, and I can't forget the Bible Muaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven-Mitch Albom - spectacular

Tamsin-Peter S. Beagle- set in Dorset, England. About a girl (Jenny<that's my name!) and a ghost-awesome

Snow-Tracy Lynn-a new twist on Snow White

Secret Heart-David Almond -awesome book

Abarat-Clive Barker - spectacular

Warriors:Into the Wild-Erin Hunter - this is an awesome series, but i suggest you start with the first book and read in sequential order

The Garden-Elsie V. Aidinoff - if you are a true Catholic, i suggest you don't read it. If you are very open-minded on the topic of the bible stories, i suggest you read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Serengeti Shall Not Die- Bernhard & Michael Grzimek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the Snow Anita S(just finished it) and re reading Goblet of Fire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How bout some brief summaries on these books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, like i said before, The Coming Global Superstorm is basically like The Day After Tomorrow. It is about a huge storm that threatens the planet.

and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is about earth being destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass. and the story of Arthur Dent (a random person who was rescued before earth was destroyed) and how he finds out the earth was destroyed. you find out the meaning of life, meet a bbel fish, and laugh your head off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    (spolier warning!)

'The Chronicles of Narnia' are about Aslan and the world of Narnia that he created and how kids form our world venture into this mystical world and interact with the people and creatures there. The Magician?s Newphew tells how Digory and Polly find Narnia when it first begins (being present during the Creation). Then the story continues with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in which Narnia has aged around 1000 years while Earth has only aged about forty years. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy- four children as well, find a wardrobe and thus discover the world of Narnia, and Aslan the creator of Narnia. In The Horse and his Boy a Narnian horse named Bree and a Calormenian boy name Shasta venture to the land of Narnia to escape the evil lands of Calormen. Then in Prince Caspian, Earth has aged about a year, but Narnia has advanced about another thousand years. Some people from our world have invaded Narnia and taken control. Now Prince Caspian with the help of Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy must try to defeat the people of our world with the help of Narnia?s mythical creatures. The next book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Edmund and Lucy return to Narnia with their cousin Eustace and together they sail across the uncharted oceans of Narnia to try to find Aslan?s home. In The Silver Chair, Eustace and Jill a friend of Eustace?s, go to Narnia and try to find and rescue the son of the King. In the final book, The Last Battle (my personal favorite), a fake Aslan marches around Narnia demanding horrible things of the inhabitants of Narnia, and finally the entire world of Narnia faces destruction as the tales of Narnia conclude.

?The Wounded Spirit? by Frank Peretti tells the story of the author growing up in school and the horrors of being bullied; showing that there is a chance for this to stop if people are willing. How rules hold society together as well. He gives advice and consul not only to those that have been bullied, but to the bullies as well.

The Classics, and the Bible well, they?re pretty popular and pretty much everyone has a general idea of them already. If not, just PM/IM me about ?em =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by TakaTiger
    The Art Of Being A Lion! the only book i own!
    I checked that out of the library, great book, love the pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1984--George Orwell

Totally awesome political book. You all might have heard of it, it's pretty popular. It's about a guy named Winston being a rebel against the law of the famous 'Big Brother'. It gets pretty nailbiting.

The Odyssey--Homer

Greek mythology. About Odysseus and his troubles with coming back from the Trojan War.

I'm a dork, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1984 is an awesome book! So is Animal Farm...:P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Isn't though?? I'm planning on reading animal farm soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Conn Iggulden - Emporer, Gates of Rome
    and Death of kings
    (not sure if I translated that one correctly)

And of course Dan Browns books

Angels and Demons, The Da vinci code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [SIZE=large]The Five People You Meet in Heaven[/SIZE] -Mitch Albom - Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"

[SIZE=large]Abarat[/SIZE] -Clive Barker - It Begins in the Most boring place in the world: Chickentown, U.S.A. There lives Candy Quackenbush, her heart bursting for some clue as to what her future might hold.
    When the answer comes, it's not one she expects. Out of nowhere comes a wave, and Candy, led by a man called John Mischief (whose brothers live on the horns on his head), leaps into the surging waters and is carried away. Where? To the Abarat: a vast archipelago where every island is a different hour of the day, from The Great Head that sits in the mysterious twilight waters of Eight in the Evening, to the sunlit wonders of Three in the Afternoon, where dragons roam, to the dark terrors of Gorgossium, the island of Midnight, ruled over by the Prince of Midnight himself, Christopher Carrion. As Candy journeys from one amazing place to another, making fast friends and encountering treacherous foes -- mechanical bugs and giant moths, miraculous cats and men made of mud, a murderous wizard and his terrified slave -- she begins to realize something. She has been here before. Candy has a place in this extraordinary world: she is here to help save the Abarat from the dark forces that are stirring at its heart. Forces older than Time itself, and more evil than anything Candy has ever encountered. She's a strange heroine, she knows. But this is a strange world. And in the Abarat, all things are possible.

[SIZE=large]Warriors:Into the Wild[/SIZE] -Erin Hunter - Fire alone can save our clan...
    For generations, four Clans of wild cats have shared the forest according to the laws laid down by their warrior ancestors. But the ThunderClan cats are in grave danger, and the sinister ShadowClan grows stronger every day. Noble warriors are dying ? and some deaths are more mysterious than others. In the midst of this turmoil appears an ordinary house cat named Rusty . . . who may turn out to be the bravest warrior of them all.

[SIZE=large]The Garden[/SIZE] -Elsie V. Aidinoff - Narrated by Eve, The Garden follows her introduction to life, to the Garden of Eden and the Serpent, her mentor there, and to her gradual comprehension of what God has planned for her as the mother of humankind. Passionate, witty, beautifully drawn, and utterly unforgettable, The Garden, a debut novel, offers new insights and personalization of a story that forms a cornerstone of our understanding.

[SIZE=large]Neverwhere[/SIZE]-Neil Gaiman - Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart-and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed0a dark subculture lfourishing in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city-a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...