Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confusing Christianity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Being a fairly liberal follower of Christ, I'll explain that side if anyone has any questions also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I being a Catholic have no questions, I firmly belive that God exists, he has shown himself to me in many ways (I've prayed and things got better). I'll answer any questions. However, while I do belive in god, I don't always like the way the church is run, how we're not suppose to question god. If you don't know already: My religion (and I think many others) belive that god created Satan as an "angel" but Satan asked to be a powerful a god, so god damned him to hell, however one must ask why did god create Satan in the first place, many older Catholics say your not suppose to question that, but it's human nature to question it, what it really boils down to is: God exists and wants us to do good, and will punish us if we do bad, and the church has to find ways to explain how bad the punishment will be. Well, that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

EDIT: Also, I don't want to start any fight but I just wanted to say: It takes more than belife in god to get you into Paradise. You must prove yourself worthy of Christ by doing good during your time on earth however long it may be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think that a person can ever prove themselves worthy of God and it's my personal belief that asking Christ for forgiveness when you come to him will clear all your sins, past, present, and future, and thus allow you to enter heaven. But, I also think that most Christians at least want to do good because they have the Spirit of God guiding them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248
    I don't think that a person can ever prove themselves worthy of God and it's my personal belief that asking Christ for forgiveness when you come to him will clear all your sins, past, present, and future, and thus allow you to enter heaven. But, I also think that most Christians at least want to do good because they have the Spirit of God guiding them
    You mean by just asking him they are forgiven.

I mean that's ok if it's your belief, I'm just not sure what you said is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I mean is that you can't earn God's forgiveness, you lost that the first time you sinned. You'll never be worthy of God without Jesus. God's forgiveness is from love, it's a gift that you have to ask for, and be serious about, you can't earn it through good works; nor can you lose it through your lack of good works. That's my opinion at least. I think the good that many christians do isn't what makes them christian, but what comes from being christian. That, of course, doesn't mean that Christian people don't do bad things, they do plenty from what I've seen.

^That viewpoint is considered "Eternal Security", meaning you can screw up as many times as possible and God will still consider you his child if you follow Christ. The other viewpoint is "Works with Faith", which some say that you can lose salvation by sinning or doing bad things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I mean is that you can't earn God's forgiveness, you lost that the first time you sinned. You'll never be worthy of God without Jesus. God's forgiveness is from love, it's a gift that you have to ask for, and be serious about, you can't earn it through good works; nor can you lose it through your lack of good works. That's my opinion at least. I think the good that many christians do isn't what makes them christian, but what comes from being christian. That, of course, doesn't mean that Christian people don't do bad things, they do plenty from what I've seen.

^That viewpoint is considered "Eternal Security", meaning you can screw up as many times as possible and God will still consider you his child if you follow Christ. The other viewpoint is "Works with Faith", which some say that you can lose salvation by sinning or doing bad things.
    Oh, ok, it was a mix up, you missunderstood me. I meant, you have to prove that you are worthy to enter heaven not worthy of forgiveness, my religon belives that one must truly be sorry for there sins and must be willing to do a penance for your sins, my religon belives that it takes more than asking for forgiveness to enter heaven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my belief is that once you ask for sins to be forgiven,t hey are, if you sin after that though you must ask forgiveness for it and mean it in your heart. I believe almost what Pnt believes except the future part, I don't believe that future sins are forgiven.

It differs between denominations and people though, and thus we must go by our own conscience on some/most things, but while reading the Bible.

Read and follow the Bible to the best of your ability, when it comes to things that may not be mentioned in the Bible though, or things that may seema bit confusing, you're supposed to decide which is better using your own conscience. Make sur eit's your conscience guiding you though and not just your wants, needs, and desires. There's a big difference =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by PhantomBPR
    Oh, ok, it was a mix up, you missunderstood me. I meant, you have to prove that you are worthy to enter heaven not worthy of forgiveness, my religon belives that one must truly be sorry for there sins and must be willing to do a penance for your sins, my religon belives that it takes more than asking for forgiveness to enter heaven.
    That's one of the main differences between Catholocism and Protestant beliefs. In my opinion, I think people argue about it way too much, God said that anyone who came to Christ would be saved; I have faith that God doesn't mind the little stuff and that anyone who has comes to Christ will be saved, regardless of whether they ask for forgiveness recently, when they ask for forgiveness, how they ask for forgiveness, or if they have to do something going along with it. Would God allow his children to be lost to Hell? No, of course He wouldn't. That is why I normally don't argue about this stuff, because I have faith that no matter how it works, God has my back through the whole thing and He's smart enough to make sure I don't just fall away from Him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's one of the main differences between Catholocism and Protestant beliefs. In my opinion, I think people argue about it way too much, God said that anyone who came to Christ would be saved; I have faith that God doesn't mind the little stuff and that anyone who has comes to Christ will be saved, regardless of whether they ask for forgiveness recently, when they ask for forgiveness, how they ask for forgiveness, or if they have to do something going along with it. Would God allow his children to be lost to Hell? No, of course He wouldn't. That is why I normally don't argue about this stuff, because I have faith that no matter how it works, God has my back through the whole thing and He's smart enough to make sure I don't just fall away from Him.
    It depends on the sin: if you cuss at your mom, your not going to hell for that, but if you kill your mom, then your pretty damned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All sin, other than not believing, is forgivable; that's one Major theme of the Bible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All sin, other than not believing, is forgivable; that's one Major theme of the Bible.
    note that I was speaking about my own religon.

EDIT: While it is still forgiveable, you must truly be sorry, and you'll probably have to do some major penance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True, sorry about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True, sorry about that
    It's cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's all good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm non-denominational christian... and proud of it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, so many religion topics. Well, I'm Mormon (I think a few people might remember me mentioning that). As for the forgiveness thing (I feel like I'm a little late, but oh well) I think that you need to ask forgiveness and truly want it and try to do something to try and make amends for what you did. Example, if you stole something from a store, ask forgiveness and then go to the store and offer to pay for the stolen item. You should also try not to repeat that sin. Without this people would take advantage of forgiveness and go out and sin all they want, ask for forgiveness, and then go out and do it again. There must also be special surcumstances (sp?) for those who cannot help but do certain things because of a mental thing (like people who can't help but steal). I don't think I really explained myself very well, but hopefully you guys got what I said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, Ravoc, great topic.

I'm a Christian, Lutheran by convenience.

Here's my basic belief -- Salvation by Jesus' sacrifice, but you had better act it. As in, there still exists a standard of behavior to which one must strive with all their being to achieve, though nobody will achieve it. Only a struggle with all one's effort will constitute "acting" your acceptance of salvation. Who is to judge "full effort"? God, so set the bar high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Darkslash =)

And my beliefs are pretty close to yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From our IM conversation: Why is it sin to get a sex change? Where does the bible state it? Or in what way do you interpret it? It is not homosexuality, nor does it really go against any commandments.

I haven't read the new testament, but you said yourself there is nothing in there about it because they didn't have sex changes back then. So how do you know it is sin?

Thanks for clearing it up buddy *hugs*
    Endra - Formerly Aziri & Ghalati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Aziri
    From our IM conversation: Why is it sin to get a sex change? Where does the bible state it? Or in what way do you interpret it? It is not homosexuality, nor does it really go against any commandments.

I haven't read the new testament, but you said yourself there is nothing in there about it because they didn't have sex changes back then. So how do you know it is sin?

Thanks for clearing it up buddy *hugs*
    Well I i ii i ii i i i i i i..........teh Phantom has no word at this point.