Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: and now I hate christianity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In my mind, religion is the most unfortunate thing to happen to the human race. It's a means to gain control over people and to find justifications for hating one another. It's a way to divert the blame from a person for doing wrong, or to punish one. It's a means through which people can argue and complain, and a way to be able to be offended. If you're looking for a way to make yourself think you're better than others, start with a religion. It's a vessle from which closed-mindedness flows.

I'm not religious. I do, however, follow Christ. I consider that faith. Many other people do too. I don't know where this whole "It's against the Bible" thing came from; I guess some people don't understand that their beliefs don't dictate others. Some people also don't understand that there's as many interpretations of the Bible as there are people who follow it; of course, they'd much rather be told what to think. I'm always willing to tell others about what I believe and my faith in Jesus Christ for forgiveness and salvation, but unless I'm asked, I try to keep my faith to myself. I do read and meditate the Bible, but I also accept that there's so many interpretations of it, varying from person to person, that my beliefs are something that belong to me. I don't get on someone if they belong to another faith either, who am I to tell someone what to believe?

Many, many, many stories/movies/performances/books are based on religion, including the Bible. Similarities between a story and the Bible are common, sometimes even surprisingly similar. I don't think that demeans from the Bible, or the story for that matter.

And yes, I know someone's probably gonna be offended; I'm pretty sure they'll live though. In my defense, I wasn't referring to anyone here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: and now I hate christianity

Originally posted by PhantomBPR
    Ok, so there's a parallel between the book and the bible. So what, I'm a Catholic and I've read the book a dosen times, it don't bother me, my dad's ok with it to, my entire family likes the book, for that matter, I went to a Catholic elimentry school and we read the book in the 5th grade, there is no evil in reading books, there is only evil in the mind of the reader.
    Sorry, I don't quite understand, are you saying there's evil im my mind so I'm not ok with the book? If that's ture, why I love the book before I know this whole christian parallelism stuff?

Originally posted by va-kasi
    I'm kinda failing to see what the problem is that a Christian writer has written a book with a Christain point of view
    The problum is: something being Christian is the simple fact as what you implied, or personal choice of view. If the former, why I didn't realize this whole idea until someone push that to me? If the latter, why I wasn't given any chance to choose.

Originally posted by Ravoc
    To be quite honest, I don't actually understand where you're coming from Huma; why it bothers you so much. Perhaps if I understood more I might be able to help you out some?
    I believe I stated that I come from China. I don't have religious influence in my educations. I have believed, ever now and than, religions are not what human are born to believe, but what they choose to. Why I'm so bothered? As what I identified as a fact, the story TLTWATW can be viewed in unreligious way as what I naturally chose to. However, having the notion how Aslan is parallel to Jesus Christ, I can not fall back to that states. I feel I lost my right to ever look at the story as the way before.

As for the passion of Christ, I don't understand all Christian interpretation of it. It simplely shows the worst of humanity. I don't feel sympathy to Jesus Christ as a god who allowed humans to do the very injustice, even to himself. I feel he is one of our kind, mistreated, trying what he could to teach others what a human should be. Anyway, I'm not a chirstian or its resercher, but I doubt those ones talking all the chirstian parallelism knows all the aspacts of chirstianity and have a emtion in the things they're talking about, cause if they do, won't they be more careful in stating that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Religion is humanity's foremost hope."

"Religion could be humanity's foremost demise."

</end puritanical statements...>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most people know it to be a Christain book/movie, as you said, you didn't realise it untill now, but why does that suddenly make you have to hate it? All movies have points of views.

Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I have to avoid books written by athiests, buddists, jews etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Humm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Religions... religions... invented by humans to keep you honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by va-kasi
    Most people know it to be a Christain book/movie, as you said, you didn't realise it untill now, but why does that suddenly make you have to hate it? All movies have points of views.

Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I have to avoid books written by athiests, buddists, jews etc.
    I stated before that I'm ok with this book/movie being christian, however, I do distinguish "knowlege" from "belief". How most people think about the story doesn't necessarily affect what I think untill they spoke out aloud. When they did, things started look that way and the "belief" replaced the "knowlege".

I know you, va-kasi, saying all these out of knowlege, to let me understand, but what's the reason for those guys talking about parallelism everywhere and in such a detail. They did research and wanted to share their knowlege? No, they wanted to believe it's parallelism and wanted everyone to believe what they believed.
    :disagree: :woeisme:
    I haven't seen such one in here for what I'm grateful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nafklt
    Religions... religions... invented by humans to keep you honest.
    Hardly. That sounds like a scapegoat conjecture to me.

The need for a belief system is very critical in our modern lives, and the need for the nurturing of a belief system that is based on the ethical treatment of all people is not only the most desirable, but also perhaps our best representation of that ultimate reality.

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God? is not even the correct word.

It may be that the limitations of our culture and of our language make any words or any descriptions inadequate. As such all our explanations and descriptions of God are (1) human creations, and (2) they are less than the real thing. As human beings there is a fundamental need for both meaning and connection to the sacred.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,? but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoniqueX

The need for a belief system is very critical in our modern lives, and the need for the nurturing of a belief system that is based on the ethical treatment of all people is not only the most desirable, but also perhaps our best representation of that ultimate reality.

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God?is not even the correct word.

It may be that the limitations of our culture and of our language make any words or any descriptions inadequate. As such all our explanations and descriptions of God are (1) human creations, and (2) they are less than the real thing. As human beings there is a fundamental need for both meaning and connection to the sacred.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,?but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.
    </end puritanical statements...>

**is that the correct commend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty confused about why you are concerned to be honest, but i'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't be upset or anything like that. It's up to you how you feel about things

My opinion on the matter is that it doesn't matter what anyone says about the book. So some people (Christian or not) suggest that it is a parallel to the story of Jesus Christ. It is also definitely possible that the author even intended that to be the case. Well why is that such a problem? How can it suddenly turn a book you love into something bad? If you don't agree that it's a parallel, then fine, that's your opinion, you shouldn't be angry at people for voicing theirs.

It seems to me that you think the association of this book with religion is a very negative thing. I honestly can't begin to imagine why

If suddenly Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff came out and said that Mufasa was definitely intended to be a representation of God in TLK, and that Rafiki was a representation of Moses or something (), i wouldn't care at all. So i don't get why you care about this to be honest.

Also i don't think you have any right to decide you hate Christianity based on this...

As a small comment about religion, well i definitely believe in God and Jesus Christ, and i'd call myself a Christian. However i've never read the Bible and i've had no religious education whatsoever. I also have a strong belief in Science though...i don't think it would be fair to say you can't have faith if you have a scientific point of view

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoniqueX

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God? is not even the correct word.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,? but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.
    Just wanted to add a little humour, that's all...:/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mabatu
    As a small comment about religion, well i definitely believe in God and Jesus Christ, and i'd call myself a Christian. However i've never read the Bible and i've had no religious education whatsoever. I also have a strong belief in Science though...i don't think it would be fair to say you can't have faith if you have a scientific point of view
    That needed repeated. I agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I might sounds like an ***, but

Welcome to the club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by TakaTiger
    I might sounds like an ***, but

Welcome to the club

Wow, you sound like an ***.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx for your honesty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by TakaTiger
    Thanx for your honesty

:noogie:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nafklt
    Just wanted to add a little humour, that's all...:/
    No worries, Nafklt = ) . You basically stated a true lie. BTW, it was funny "hehe," and not funny "HAHA."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mabatu
    It's up to you how you feel about things

totally

My opinion on the matter is that it doesn't matter what anyone says about the book. So some people (Christian or not) suggest that it is a parallel to the story of Jesus Christ. It is also definitely possible that the author even intended that to be the case. Well why is that such a problem? How can it suddenly turn a book you love into something bad? If you don't agree that it's a parallel, then fine, that's your opinion, you shouldn't be angry at people for voicing theirs.
    I think I clarified, I don't agery at anyone stating anything as parallelism to chirstanity. But I'm pissed in this case because they described how things represent one another in detail and it pop in my head evey time when I read the book no matter how I tried

It seems to me that you think the association of this book with religion is a very negative thing. I honestly can't begin to imagine why
    I think the association of the particular scene of the Stone Table to the Passion of Christ is a very negative thing. agrue on that if you want

If suddenly Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff came out and said that Mufasa was definitely intended to be a representation of God in TLK, and that Rafiki was a representation of Moses or something (), i wouldn't care at all. So i don't get why you care about this to be honest.
    They are the creators of the TLK, what they states about story are truth. same thing from anyone else are more or less their beliefs and imaginations. see the difference?

Also i don't think you have any right to decide you hate Christianity based on this...
    wrong, I don't need right to hate anything if only I choose to. I'm not born to love Christianity.

Agreed, some most famous scientists are christians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky we know each other and like each other as friends (well, most of us, since some people have no clue who the heck we are).

Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky to be alive.

Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky to be ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    That guy has a point ... I do not want to go to hell, but maybe I should go along with a god who loves me for who I am, rather than a god wanting me to change the way I am in ways that don't make sense ... I mean, I understand that a righteous god wouldn't want me to steal, murder, or anything like that, that's just obvious... but why do some religions want to like change people's sexuality? It's just the way they are. It's like saying "Oh no, you can't be a Christian because you're black!" The person can't help being black, it's not their fault... just in the same way that a person can't help being gay or bisexual; it's not their fault ...
    Yup.

But who knows? Maybe this'll change with time. I mean, before black people were viewed as sub-human, and therefore not allowed to be a part of Christianity in some places. *shrugs*