Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: and now I hate christianity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and now I hate christianity

First of all, my apologies to all christian who saw the title of this post, it's my fault after all to brought this whole nonsence here and offense the people that never treat me badly. However, If you're turely friends of mine or you want help me out regardless what I've done, please tell me what you think I should do.

ok, here's the deal. the movie laterly someone mentioned about, "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" is the same story that I read while very young. It's nothing surprise for you, but I was born in China and didn't recognize the title at first. It's very odd that I read this story.(I asked all my friends from China, and none of them read it) and now it's a great thing to me not because of the movie they will make out of it but what I reunited with, a invaluable memory. I wanted to read the book, look at those pictures, and enjoy as I did when I was a child.

After I found out, I surfed to some movie fan site to check what forks said about the movie. not long till I found myself encircled by what looked like some religious disscusion. Clearly there was somebody said that the story is a parallel to christianity, and someone said things like "leave the movie alone", "why should everything be religious?" and something more so that christians starting to defend their belief.

I'm fine with both. I don't like the idea to say things are parallel to others, but I don't mind people saying that either. However, I don't know what evil was keeping me staying on that thread till I saw the very post that changed my view of that story forever.

I'm feeling guilty even now to tell that again to whomever may read this post, but I figured that most of you are already known. what that freaking post said is that it described how the movie is parallel to christianity in a particular scene, the one that the lion Aslan offer himeself as sacrifice to save Edmund and to be killed on the Stone Table by the White Witch. the poster paralleled the Aslan with the Jesus Christ, Edmund with the Judas, and the White Witch to the Satan and such till everyone in this scene have a position in the bible and, of course, the sacrifice Aslan made became the passion of the christ. After hearing that, what firstly poped up in my mind was the shot from that movie bearing the same name that featured all of blood and unhumanly torture. Suddenly I realized just then, what had been ruined.

I bought the book the next day, and tried to find the old story I once read, the character I like. Their faces changed, espeically Aslan. That sad scene of the Stone Table now seems evil and unnatural so that I hate to read it anymore.

I do understand I'm talking about more or less just a childish story. But isn't it the same thing what somebody made this forum for, a stroy we love, we want to keep it forever? Now what's lost was lost, I can't find anyone to blame. I aways repect others' religions and share the wisdom come from them although I can't understand all of each. This made me even more angery and, then, sadder. I know that both won't solve anything and I'm writing now not out of any anger or desire to upset anyone. I just don't know why a good thing have to be turned bad like this. If you have patience to read this long, whining, mistaken post till here, I presume you wouldn't mind to give me your thoughts and advices. that's turely all that I can use and I ask for now, I thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really don't see a fictional movie/book like that being parallel with the Bible but I do see it going against the Bible as in the movie is based on beliefs that the Bible preaches against *keeping quiet now*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why should everything always have a connection to that damned religious stuff, anyway?

Yeah, I feel for you there. Ruining something like this hurts. Those damned christians, indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought we were friends Ruska

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did you do know that "The Chronicles of Narnia" was written by CS Lewis, a big time Christian writer? About 1/2 of the religion section in my bookstore is full of his books, including "The Chronicles of Narnia."

As far as I'm concerned, "The Chronicles of Narnia" is a Christian work, though not overly overtly so.
    So I would expect parts of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" to parallel themes in Christianity first off. It's not like people are taking a 100% secular piece of work and applying religion to it...they're taking a piece of work written by a religious person and pointing out intentional parallels.
    (at least I'm fairly certain it's intentional)

This kind of reminds me of Fairy Tales...the original fairytales were bloody and gory and overall not pleasant, and so they were revamped to be more "friendly". All I can say is, try to think of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as you knew it as a revamped fairytale. Now, knowing that you know, the story has more depth.

And now you know how I feel when people spend hours upon hours philosophizing over things like who Nala's father is and/or what do the hyenas represent, etc. For me, TLK is just a simple movie to be taken at face value...now there's a lot more extra baggage to consider.

At any rate, I wish you good luck, Huma.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FO rme personally, I recognized a similarity between the books and the Bible right away, especially the scene you mentioned.

C.S. Lewis was originally a big time athiest. He'd proclaim ti to anyone. But then he found the Lord and became a Christian. His great works have biblical connections, and what I consider his greatest work; The Chronicles of Narnia, have many biblical connections.

Did you know that the writer of Lord of the Rings, Tolien, based his stories off of WW2? On scene in particular showing the Ents going to fight Isengard comes to mind. The Ents, represent America's political view towards the war. Then they saw what had been done, and they themselves came under attack, so they joined in the war.

A lot of great stories are based off of real life events or in this case, other books.

I must say though, I am offended by Ruska's comment on this thread... =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ravoc
    C.S. Lewis was originally a big time athiest. He'd proclaim ti to anyone. But then he found the Lord and became a Christian. His great works have biblical connections, and what I consider his greatest work; The Chronicles of Narnia, have many biblical connections.
    I find it annoying when some Christians claim that when athiests research Christianity, they will become Christians based upon C.S Lewis. That's just one case of somebody turning into a Christian when researching it, but others (like me) don't get converted.

At any rate, I feel the same way about the whole religious ruining thing. I think I would've liked it more if I hadn't heard about the religious parallels, because now all I'll think about is the bible when I see the movie. Our bible teacher tried to get us to pick up the biblical references in TLK, but fortunately there weren't that many and I can forget/ignore them.

The only movie that I like religious referances in in The Matrix, because there are so many different religions in that. It's not geared towards just one religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    I find it annoying when some Christians claim that when athiests research Christianity, they will become Christians based upon C.S Lewis
    I didn't say that. I said that C.S. Lewis became Christian, I didn't say people who research C.S. Lewis become Christians.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean now. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't say that. I said that C.S. Lewis became Christian, I didn't say people who research C.S. Lewis become Christians.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean now. *shrugs*
    Yeah, I often hear people either at my school or once on another forum that said that if athiests would research Christianity, they would convert, and they based their theory on C.S Lewis. It was pretty lame. That would be like me saying that if a Christian researched Atheism, he would become an Athiest, based off of one outspoken christian that went athiest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not saying that all people who rsearch Christianity will become Christians. Otherwise the Christian populationw ould be much greater =P

Some people believe only what they can see, touch, and hear, and thus, they're not ever truely believing, that's not faith. Some people just don't have any faith in anything. Others don't believe because they lost a loved one or something that was important to them,a nd they ask why God could let something like that happen. And then others don't believe because they simply don't want to do what the Bible says to do. And the last group don't believe because they've either found something else they believe in, other religions.. science.. etc.. or they haven't really heard about Christianity yet, or they simply just don't want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That goes with the part of going against the Bible STL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This reminds me of my English lesson. Every story or poem relates to the Bible in some way, and mostly to Jesus.

Strangely enough, my teacher is a Jew.

Religion should be kept to religious people, not be rubbed in people's faces. ;P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism... all of those will change you...

Athiesm and Science won't change you, but they're not religions, they're the opposite of religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    are there any religions that accept everyone for who they actually are, instead of trying to make them change to suit the religion?
    Heh, this reminds me of part of a TV show I once saw, where a Satanist said to a priest preaching to men in prison;

"Why do you mock these men with the promise of a god who does not love them for who they are, and wants them to chage. My god loves them because of what they are".

Or something along those lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehe, that was pretty good Neph...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some people believe only what they can see, touch, and hear, and thus, they're not ever truely believing,[/B]
    I actually agree with you in this line. Where the name of Jesus Christ came from, what he ought be looked like and what he did? isn't these notion passed by mere senses and stern teaching? shouldn't the God or son of the God be higher than what we could sense, be more than what we could name?

In my story and such things alike, I don't feel others are passing their belief to the God to me, for I already believed in God, but what they think the God should be seen, heard, even touched. So, when someone ask me if the God I believe is the God of christanity, I honestly don't know how to answer, how could God be compare?

As for the part that great stories are from intentional parallel to the bible, I don't believe. For one thing, you have no proof of such thing as one's intention. For another, stories are embodiments of spirit, so as the Bible. Those are eventually rooted to our heart no matter what media they connected through. If you have to say those stories are made from Bible, then where the Bible made from? nowhere? I won't find that if I have a research in christanity.

It's completely different matter what one believe and what one have emotions upon. I do believe Jesus Christ in so many ways, but my compassion is with the lion. I took it fine when they stated the stroy was parallel to the Bible and writer was christian who wrote many articles in this matter. But Imagine someone's telling you who's the Christ in TLK, or what guy those saints and devils in the Bibble are made from, you won't feel just fine.

Ravoc, Wicked, I know it's not a good topic for christans, but you guys are cool, I thank you.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Huma

As for the part that great stories are from intentional parallel to the bible, I don't believe. For one thing, you have no proof of such thing as one's intention.
    True, I don't have proof, but I do believe that C.S Lewis himself said that he intentionally added parallels...unfortunately, I don't have said quotes at my fingertips...I'll have to go back and read a few biographies.

Ravoc, Wicked, I know it's not a good topic for christans, but you guys are cool, I thank you.
    Just for the record, I'm not Christian.

I'm just a researcher.

Originally posted by Xinithian

The only movie that I like religious referances in in The Matrix, because there are so many different religions in that. It's not geared towards just one religion.
    I had to write a paper on that for one of my Theology classes once...made for a fascinating study, but there was a lot of information to incorperate into the paper. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: and now I hate christianity

Originally posted by Huma
    First of all, my apologies to all christian who saw the title of this post, it's my fault after all to brought this whole nonsence here and offense the people that never treat me badly. However, If you're turely friends of mine or you want help me out regardless what I've done, please tell me what you think I should do.

ok, here's the deal. the movie laterly someone mentioned about, "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" is the same story that I read while very young. It's nothing surprise for you, but I was born in China and didn't recognize the title at first. It's very odd that I read this story.(I asked all my friends from China, and none of them read it) and now it's a great thing to me not because of the movie they will make out of it but what I reunited with, a invaluable memory. I wanted to read the book, look at those pictures, and enjoy as I did when I was a child.

After I found out, I surfed to some movie fan site to check what forks said about the movie. not long till I found myself encircled by what looked like some religious disscusion. Clearly there was somebody said that the story is a parallel to christianity, and someone said things like "leave the movie alone", "why should everything be religious?" and something more so that christians starting to defend their belief.

I'm fine with both. I don't like the idea to say things are parallel to others, but I don't mind people saying that either. However, I don't know what evil was keeping me staying on that thread till I saw the very post that changed my view of that story forever.

I'm feeling guilty even now to tell that again to whomever may read this post, but I figured that most of you are already known. what that freaking post said is that it described how the movie is parallel to christianity in a particular scene, the one that the lion Aslan offer himeself as sacrifice to save Edmund and to be killed on the Stone Table by the White Witch. the poster paralleled the Aslan with the Jesus Christ, Edmund with the Judas, and the White Witch to the Satan and such till everyone in this scene have a position in the bible and, of course, the sacrifice Aslan made became the passion of the christ. After hearing that, what firstly poped up in my mind was the shot from that movie bearing the same name that featured all of blood and unhumanly torture. Suddenly I realized just then, what had been ruined.

I bought the book the next day, and tried to find the old story I once read, the character I like. Their faces changed, espeically Aslan. That sad scene of the Stone Table now seems evil and unnatural so that I hate to read it anymore.

I do understand I'm talking about more or less just a childish story. But isn't it the same thing what somebody made this forum for, a stroy we love, we want to keep it forever? Now what's lost was lost, I can't find anyone to blame. I aways repect others' religions and share the wisdom come from them although I can't understand all of each. This made me even more angery and, then, sadder. I know that both won't solve anything and I'm writing now not out of any anger or desire to upset anyone. I just don't know why a good thing have to be turned bad like this. If you have patience to read this long, whining, mistaken post till here, I presume you wouldn't mind to give me your thoughts and advices. that's turely all that I can use and I ask for now, I thank you in advance.

Ok, so there's a parallel between the book and the bible. So what, I'm a Catholic and I've read the book a dosen times, it don't bother me, my dad's ok with it to, my entire family likes the book, for that matter, I went to a Catholic elimentry school and we read the book in the 5th grade, there is no evil in reading books, there is only evil in the mind of the reader.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be quite honest, I don't actually understand where you're coming from Huma; why it bothers you so much. Perhaps if I understood more I might be able to help you out some?

Originally posted by Wicked
    True, I don't have proof, but I do believe that C.S Lewis himself said that he intentionally added parallels...unfortunately, I don't have said quotes at my fingertips...I'll have to go back and read a few biographies.
    what she said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm kinda failing to see what the problem is that a Christian writer has written a book with a Christain point of view