Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a weird question: European food/stuff they don't have in America...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a weird question: European food/stuff they don't have in America...

Haha ok, bear with me.

In June I'm going on a graduation trip to Europe. We're visiting Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, and maybe Austria and England.

What my friend and I really want to try are food, candy, drinks, etc that they don't sell or that are rare in America. Like... Kinder eggs, for example. We don't have those here.

So um, if you can think of anything... xD Thanks!

If not, just talk about food in your country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you come to England, I recommend trying Cadbury's or Thornton's chocolate. In my opinion you can't go wrong with them. Since you say you're visiting Switzerland, Swiss chocolate is supposed to be very nice too, so if you haven't tried it already I would recommend you to try some.

Also, if you visit England, be sure to try our most traditional meal of them all... fish and chips! With a bit of malt vinegar and some mushy peas. Delicious. Oh, and brown sauce... HP brown sauce (not with fish and chips, but just in general). Leor had quite an experience trying them while he was here these last couple of times, and I must say it was amusing to see what his reactions to them were. But this time he went home with quite some things they don't sell in Mexico, so I know he approves well of them.

I'm trying to think of more, but I can't remember them right now... xP

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, this ad just popped into my head the second that Cadbury's Chocolate was mentioned .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, the Caramel bunny. I remember seeing her at Cadbury World.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Senior Member Wide Eyed Wanderer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post

Sorry, this ad just popped into my head the second that Cadbury's Chocolate was mentioned .
    Yum.

...chocolate doesn't look bad either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When you get to Middle Europe, try out Milka chocolate. It's the best chocolate I've had. I kinda feel bad for Americans, because I could not find a single chocolate brand that tasted good while I was there. Especially Hershey's was despicable .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aw, I like Hershey's... but I've heard that European chocolate is a lot better. I'm definitely gonna have to stock up on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cadbury is the best We get it in Canada, but americans don't actually, theres a lot of food items we have in Canada that America doesn't have..

I haven't been to Europe, but being of European descent, there's a few things I can think of. Schnitzel in Germany, Earl Grey Twinnings tea in England (they do have it in America.. but you've gotta have english tea in England ), and fresh croissants in France (way better than the ones at the grocery stores)

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbaspirit View Post
    Earl Grey Twinnings tea in England (they do have it in America.. but you've gotta have english tea in England )
    I don't drink tea that much (OMG, an English person who doesn't drink tea! ) but I've heard Yorkshire Tea is good too.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombolia View Post
    Like... Kinder eggs, for example. We don't have those here.
    Hehe, did you hear about the lady who had one seized from her car when she was crossing the Canadian/US border?
    Ridiculous...

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What?

I LOVE kinder

like 3 months back, I must have eaten about 100 of those little bars in a weeks time o_O *blush*.
    What can I say ... I was in need of some chocolat ^^

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathalie View Post
    What?
    YES! The woman was obviously a terrorist, threatening the lives of our children by attempting to smuggle an instrument of death over the border. I certainly feel safer knowing that our brave border guards are ever vigilant in protecting us against the import of candy.

...but seriously, I believe that importing and/or distributing a Kinder Surprise Egg is illegal in the US, due to choking hazard concerns or something.

Now I'm hungry. Sombolia, my apologies for derailing your thread.
    *wanders off to buy some Bueno*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow, that's ... weird ...
    It's the same everywhere, but it says on the wrapper "ages 3 and up, choking ..."

I found this o_O
    When Lind Bird was recently stopped at the U.S. border and selected for a random search of her vehicle, she was surprised to learn that a $2 piece of candy could net her a whopping $300 fine. At issue was a Kinder Surprise egg — a chocolate egg that contains a small plastic toy inside.

When customs officials discovered the Kinder candy in her car, Bird says it was confiscated. She was warned that the small candy is illegal in the United States and was considered “contraband.”

The children’s candy has been banned in the United States because officials worry small children could choke on the small toy inside it.

“It’s just a chocolate egg,” Bird told CBC News. “And they were making a big deal. They said ‘if you were caught with this across the border you would get charged a $300 fine,’” she said.

“It’s ridiculous. It’s so ridiculous,” she added.

The candy is perfectly legal in Canada, but the U.S. takes the domestic ban on the chocolate treat very seriously. CBC reports that U.S. border officials have seized more than 25,000 Kinder eggs in 2,000 separate seizures.

Mike Milne, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection said the candy ban is supported by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. “They have been determined to present … a choking hazard to young children,” he said.

In addition, the U.S. government sent Bird a seven-page letter asking for her formal authorization to destroy her seized Kinder egg.

“I thought it was a joke. I had to read it twice. But they are serious,” she said.

If Bird wishes to contest the seizure, the letter notes that she can pay $250 for the egg to be stored until a compromise can be hammered out.

——–

In case you’re curious, a comprehensive list of items Canadians can’t import into the U.S. can be found here.
    But there are loads of other products of Kinder ... not just the eggs.

And so many fake-Kinder-eggs throughout the years too.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Marmite! Definitely one of those things you have to try at least once - marmite on toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbaspirit View Post
    Earl Grey Twinnings tea in England (they do have it in America.. but you've gotta have english tea in England )
    I actually prefer Tazo earl grey (which is an american brand) to Twinings, have to order that online specially over here though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    haha I definitely am a regular consumer of Kinder products.. yay Canada!

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speaking of Kinder chocolate, I like the little chocolate bars. I haven't had the eggs in a while though.

Speaking of choco eggs, I recommend trying a Cadbury's Creme Egg too. The only thing is they're sold only around Easter, which is a shame. =/

And I've never tried Marmite. Maybe I should change that someday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, Wicked. I know they're illegal here but I'd never heard of that happening. Too funny.

I am keeping a note of these suggestions

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well at least in Germany I would would really recommend you eat some sausage, that is what they are well known of. In France I would eat some local pastries as well as taste some wine and cheeses they have to offer. Actually in all European countries I would try their cheese as by what I see US selection on cheese is rather limited compared to most of Europe. Switzerland... well most certainly chocolate is one thing you gotta try, which is other thing I would try out in every European country as it's quite suburb compared to American chocolate, even thought See's chocolate is pretty good. In Italy, never been there so I don't know what to recommend, but pasta dishes are what they are known for so I would give them a try. Also before going I would check up some websites what locations you go to have to offer as local specialty as most places have something that is unique for it and can be only gotten from that area. If you have a chance to, go to market places, they most of the time have specialties there and reasonable prices too.

I'm sorry I can't be very specific help as from countries you're headed France and England are the only ones I really spent time in... and even in France it was just Disneyland pretty much.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I second pasta in Italy - after visiting Italy a while back, it took me a while to get used to eating US pasta again. Of course the cuisine also depends on which region(s) you'll be in...for example, Tuscany is known for its high quality beef (which I recommend), and several cities are known for specific dishes, like Milan and their ossobucco. If you like fish, you should wander over towards Venice...they have some rather unique seafood dishes.

Those are just a few o' the more well-known parts of Italian cuisine, but seriously...it's all good stuff, and much better than anything I've had in the US.

..and now I'm hungry again.
    XD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Whoa, I never knew that story behind Kinder chocolate eggs, and we have them in Mexico too, actually =/ so with the US having 2 neighbor countries who have Kinder products, that's even weirder.

Moving on, I recommend Thorntons and Cadbury's products from England, I enjoy having some when I'm there
    As for Germany, you could try HARIBO gummies, they have a lot of variety, not just gummi bears

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)