Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Thread Getting Pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    reminderr...
    No chatting in threads. (ex: 1 line posts and replies)
    *bow* cheers guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm.. came onto this one late (was on a trip) .. I guess I need to read all of this (kinda skimmed it cause im out the door) but this has been a concern of ours for awhile, kinda a delicate situation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, first off, people need to quit spamming the thread about spam...ing >.>. Just seems like an insult to the cause.

As for what to do, I think there's a few things. Sure, we could post and pin spam rules in scar's lair, that would get people's attention for about... five minutes.From what I've noticed, the problem is too widespread and involves too many people to just make a rule about it. If you can't solve a problem from one angle, change how you're trying to solve the problem. Maybe more mods are needed? That is a possibility, but I also liked what Shatara did in his thread about banning knives in the UK, he told people to quit spamming his thread. I think the majority of people would stop spamming if we all, in our own threads or eachother's threads, reminded the spammers to not go off topic. I would say that we should put the power and responsibility in the hands of the author of the thread, because, to be honest, I quit making threads for the most part because they are pointless, it all ends in the same thing, a chat between a few members. My whole point is, do you order a pizza and get an orange? No. So why do you have to go into a thread, expect a certain topic, and get something else?

As a compromise, I think that if a person who makes the thread doesn't have a problem with people spamming in their thread, then the people should be allowed to spam. Who are we to say that people need to stay on topic if the creator of the topic doesn't see a problem?

As for the randomness, we don't want randomness genocide Some is acceptable, even good. But when it gets to be impossible to carry on an intelligent discussion because every other post is either someone flirting with another person, an inside joke that really isn't that funny, or something just random, then enough is enough. My question is "How far will it go"? In my personal opinion, the majority of randomness fits in with spam; refer to the above paragraphs.

Now, the different groups forming on lea, that's not that big of a deal aside from the fact that there's just a flood of them. I think most of it stems from the fact that all people want to belong and fit in. What better way than to create a group that other's join? That problem is a toughy though, because you can't just say "No more groups". I don't think everything needs a rule; the general trend in society is that the more rules there are, the lower the average morale.(keeping in mind that there should be some rules, or the morale sinks also. It's like a parabola). I think that we should maybe start recognizing those who are generally left-out. And those who aren't too. It takes, what? Two minutes to write and send a PM to someone? Probably less. I dunno about you guys, but I like getting PM's, especially nice ones. I would be more than happy to spare five minutes of my time if it'll make a few people's day and make them feel like they belong. Once people start feeling more accepted or wanted here, the threads will become less and less. The fact that there's threads about a member leaving because they don't feel like they are wanted on the forum only backs up my point.

So here's what I say we do, agree or disagree all you want:

1. Pin a spam advisory in Scar's Lair
    2. Put the spam problem in the hands of the thread creators. If they tell someone to quit spamming their thread, then the spammer should quit. If they don't have a problem with it, then they don't have a problem with it and it should be allowed.
    3. Treat excessive randomness as spam
    4. Try to encourage eachother to work together on the problem.
    5. Compliment eachother, send PM's, etc... If you notice someone who is generally left out, make it a point to tell them you notice them. Hell, send PM's to people who're always the center of attention too, praise makes everyone happy.
    6. Realize that it's going to take more than a day to fix.
    7. Here's the important one: Regardless of what we do, come back two weeks later and evaluate it. If it worked, then keep going with it. If it didn't, then keep that in mind while you try to find a different solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Every time i come here, there's just some huge post. Not that I'm against that, no no no no no. But for those that are "illiterate" and "lazy"...yes, such as myself....perhaps if you just stated the SOUL POINT. Like, ....what is the point? Maybe i should just not bother sometimes.....but I don't think there is a problem much anymore. Perhaps, if the topic is a funny, time to be random, kinda thing, then so be it. but if it's asking a question, being serious, lets keep it serious. Though I'm going against....[coughTheGenie|Mecough] I'm being serious now. And try not to post- looky looky, a large postXD...I'm out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Perhaps some things are too important for just a few sentences. The english language is rich in content, might as well include a lot of it if you need to get a point across. But I figured that there'd be a few people who didn't want to read my whole post, and that's why I summed it up at the bottom.

However, would you rather read a large post with meaning or five posts with none? I'll keep my posts long; I rarely post as it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @at pnt.. damn.. im gonna kiss ya bro
    he's right..
    and i already make a suggestion to Pin thingy
    about no 5. I some people didnt notice that they have a PM..
    yeah..
    and like mufasa say at How do you feel thread (I dont remember the name of it) TRY TO USE PM or IM
    peace out..
    about random... just everything have its own limit.. random to..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good point pnt. I love to talk amongst others, and see their views, and look through their eyes. It just gives me such a better understanding of the world, and it helps me in my near future. If you understand. Thank you for the very true point pnt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248
    Perhaps some things are too important for just a few sentences. The english language is rich in content, might as well include a lot of it if you need to get a point across.

However, would you rather read a large post with meaning or five posts with none? I'll keep my posts long; I rarely post as it is.
    Hmm... then I'll call you JazonHyena the second, then. Inasmuch -- you fancy lengthy posts. (j/k) ...

I'd prefer to read long and contenting posts; rather than short and meaningless ones. However, those short and meaningless ones, aren't without their relevancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy isssssssssssssssssss ttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sssssssssssssssssssss llllllllllllllllllooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg ggg eeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooouuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh hhhhhh

okay *zipping mouth*

and yeah make sure if ya make long post make sure there's a important line in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Zip it. *covers Zack's mouth*

Anyways, I prefer to read posts that actually have a meaning...whether they're short or long. I just don't really like to waste time reading posts that mean nothing...

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, if people would just all read the sticky's, and the rules ( !! ) before they strart posting !!

No chatting in threads. (ex: 1 line posts and replies)
    How many times have people said already: no chatting between just 2 - 3 members, you can do that much easier on msn, yahoo, etc ...
    Or make a life journal or a weblog.

We can't keep saying this forever, because I, personnally, get tired of saying it everytime, and looking like the bad guy (girl).

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pnt has made some extremely good suggestions in this thread, and i suggest everyone should read his posts if they actually care about Lea, and everyone on it.

It's great to see some really well thought out posts on here again. Obviously Pnt is really helping with this, and so are lots of other members

The idea of reminding people within your own threads to stop spamming is good, and seems to have worked quite well in Shatara's recent thread. Sometimes it's easy to meander off-topic, and so a reminder is good for everybody

Also, Pnt's general idea of making everyone feel like they belong to Lea is excellent! If everybody respects each other, then we'll definitely get along much better, and we'll all be interested to hear what each other has to say. I don't want to sound like some kind of old crow , but that's how Lea used to be: i'd come online and be part of a group of people who knew each other really well, and the conversation was always interesting. Even the downright ridiculous talk was fun - for example, "The Stick" - although that did get out of hand a few times

Roog has also mentioned lots of times that splitting up Scar's Lair into two subforums would help. I think it probably would help with keeping things organised (which is partly what we need), so i'm all for trying that out, if it's possible.

I really hope this time everyone can work together to fix these problems, i'm sure we can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mabatu
    Roog has also mentioned lots of times that splitting up Scar's Lair into two subforums would help. I think it probably would help with keeping things organised (which is partly what we need), so i'm all for trying that out, if it's possible.
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. If we had a sub-forum in Scar's Lair for random threads and stuff like that then I think there won't be that much of a problem. If it's possible, then I'm up for trying it out.

And yeah, Pnt has some very good points as I said before.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anything that concerns about making new sub-forums, has to go through Mufasa.

I hope he'll be back soon, to have a look at it all.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Bow* im back and thanks to boos
    the 'scar lair' back to normal cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome back Zack. :noogie:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How is Scar's Lair back to normal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lots of important posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    is that back to normal?

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lots of important posts does not "normal" make.

Call me cynical, but it's only a matter of time until things go back to the way they used to be...that is, if things have truely changed.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.