PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite bird?

unregistered user
May 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Mine is the Baltimore Oriole:

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/01glance/symbols/images/i004448a.jpg

lionloversam
May 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I like the parrot. My second favourite, though, is KFC.

unregistered user
May 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by lionloversam
My second favourite, though, is KFC.

Sooooooo... GOOD! :D :lol: ;)

King Simba
May 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM
KFC! :cheese: :lol:
Anyways, I like parrots, eagles...don't really have a particular fave bird.

Atimon
May 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM
oh, I like eagles! red-billed Hornbills are quite cute, too ;)

Aurelian
May 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM
The golden eagle.

http://scd.mm-c.yimg.com/image/408651268http://scd.mm-b.yimg.com/image/1230686192

TakaTiger
May 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
im not a fan of birds really x)

Hanshilo
May 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I LOVE ALL BIRDS....;)
They are all bueatiful:cheese:

Nalinda
May 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Eagles.. They are the kings of the sky. ;)

lion_roog
May 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I like the Dodo Bird!!!!.....Yay for Looney Tunes.......I bet they really wore those hat, too.....:D

unregistered user
May 19th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Crows!

A-non-a-mus
May 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Birds of paradiseare pretty neat to look at.. (yes,, they are accually a type)

but yeah, I like just about any type of bird...

Lion King Stu
May 19th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I like the human female version :lol: :p

Juniper
May 19th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Snipes.

Why? Because snipe hunting has to be the most awkward thing I have ever witnessed. A snipe is a kind of marsh bird and has poor nightvision, so at night you can go out to a marsh with a snipe call (or use your own voice if you're good at it), use the call, wait for them to walk up, shine a bright flashlight on them, they freeze from the startle, and you can catch them with a net or bag. And no, you don't hurt the bird, they're not really used for food or anything that I know of, just catch 'em for the hell of it and let them go. I've never done it, but I've seen a video a friend shot of someone else doing it, and I laughed for half an hour.

LunarCat
May 20th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lion King Stu
I like the human female version :lol: :p

:lol: lol LKS

I dunno, i guess cardinals. Falcons are really cool too. :D :cheese:

SimbaLKD
May 20th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Speaking on birds, the past two days me and a bunch of mates were camping in the middle fo the desert at a place called El Mirage dry lake bed.. we went exploring in me and my mate's 4x4s and found some very intresting things. About 5 or 6 miles from camp on random trails in the rocky hills we found some old mine shafts with cars in them (blown up and shot to death!)..

In anycase most of them we deemed to dangerous to enter, mainly because they were about 250 feet stright down (my guess is that these either used to have latters or were made for ventelation. We discoved that they were old gold-rush shafts. I found this out after I called the USGS (US Geological Survey). Moreover, we did hang a rope and climb down into one of them.. It smelled like, well it was bad!!

As we were crawling (just me and my mate Matt) we saw something moving.. so we got out .. really fast! Only to enter the next evening (this time we brough more people with us to the site).

One group at a time we went down after we knew there was somthing down there.. We each took a really good look at this family of furry things with a very flat and large face.. I was trying to think what could live in this shaft considering that the rain damage led to its collapse. There was no evidence of a system of tunels either, and the hole was about 20 feet stright down with no way to climb the walls (without a rope). in a stump we decided to gather some pictures as best we could of the sleeping wildlife.. although it was hard because it was a small space and we didnt really wanna get to close to them either not knowing what they could be..

I took the pictures, and when I got home.. not that long ago now.. and studied and referenced the cleanest shot.

We were thinking perhaps a preditor bird of some sort, which made sense except for the fact that the never really got up, so we couldnt be sure it had feathers.. and the face had so sign of a beak. The dominent female (I would venture to guess) was awake after awhile and moving her head back and forth up and down, we did have a bright light facing them so when she was looking we shut it off so we wouldnt harm her eyes.

Thats when the hissing begun and the bird idea left my head alltogether.. and we left them be!

After coming home I studied and referenced the one clean(ish) shot i got. It had brid like feet, so it became a rodent type bird, then it evolved into a list of desert nocturnal birds after I figured it was blind in the light (since it saw us after turning off the light) Turns out that we had discovered a whole family of Barn Owls in this hole.. Which in this region aren't rare in numbers, but are ever so rerely see by humans.

After I read about the bird I come to find out that they have very sharp claws made for grabbing squrells and rats for meals.. turns out that the smell made sense as the bird vomits the skulls and indigestable parts of its prey near its roost (these birds DO NOT make nest, ever.) to fend off ground carnivors (like me! cuese it was stinky as all!!)..

http://tlkob.com/FuzzyLKD/fun_pics/unknownanimal5-18-05.gif
anyway fun times with wildlife exploration and learning!!

btw to stop on topic, my favorite birs has to be the North American Night Hawk (which I have also seen, but at night with a kill on the side of a dark highway as i was driving by).

:D

Simba '04
May 20th, 2005, 02:58 AM
that is awesome LKD!!!

My favorite bird would be the Cardinal :cheese: ;)

unregistered user
May 20th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Mocking Birds...they remind me of Velicaraptors...and they are annyoing...like myself.

Simba22
May 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by lionloversam
I like the parrot. My second favourite, though, is KFC. :lol:

My favorite kinda bird would have to be the Blue Jay. Funny they have so many baseball teams named after birds.

Sombolia
May 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by pntbll248
Snipes.

Why? Because snipe hunting has to be the most awkward thing I have ever witnessed. A snipe is a kind of marsh bird and has poor nightvision, so at night you can go out to a marsh with a snipe call (or use your own voice if you're good at it), use the call, wait for them to walk up, shine a bright flashlight on them, they freeze from the startle, and you can catch them with a net or bag. And no, you don't hurt the bird, they're not really used for food or anything that I know of, just catch 'em for the hell of it and let them go. I've never done it, but I've seen a video a friend shot of someone else doing it, and I laughed for half an hour.

:lol: Sounds like fun :p :D