PDA

View Full Version : Futurama

unregistered user
May 19th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and the gorilla starts throwing barrels at you. And thats how you play the game! - Philip J. Fry

Billy West, Katey Sagal, & John DiMaggio. Modern-day 3 stooged voice-over eccentrics. The divinity of these estrange characters gave the new meaning of "comedic geniuses."

Futurama is one of the funniest cartoons around; next to Family Guy, these two are always in comparison.

Unfortunately, FOX & Matt Groening; likes to cancel great shows, and put on crappy ones. (I'm still blaming, Matt! XD -- David X. Cohen, is a great executive producer, he tried, he tried...)

Thoughts, anyone?

Lucy Lioness
May 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Futurama and Family guy are both fantastic!

I am not American so I don't know much about the 'crappy' shows, but I am sure these other shows aren't as great as Futurama!!

unregistered user
May 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
It surprized me hugely, that Family Guy went back in production. I think FOX is getting its funny bone back. -- Maybe, I'm being a bit premature, but FOX may have a fighting chance to become what it was - once again...

TakaTiger
May 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
i find it funny how fox stoped playing it, and cartoon network picked it up... oh! its cool! and fox plays it again

and also the same about father of the pride... they replaced it with a show about Fat people! losing weight!... talk about stupid choices.... they should put fotp back on!

LunarCat
May 19th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Futurama is awesome i love it! :D

yay for adult swim! :p

TeeKay
May 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Futurama is indeed a great programme, second only to the mighty Family Guy as far as cartoons go.

Unfortuantly though thats not what the networks look for. It's all about ratings and money (Fox just happen to be good at cancelling good shows, in fact if you've seen the first episode of the new season of Family Guy they list a whole bunch of shows that have been cancelled by Fox). The only reason Family Guy went back into production was because of the immense DVD sales it generated (in fact the new season was to be direct to DVD) As far as Father Of The Pride is concerend, it was most likely cancelled because "reality TV" shows such as fat people loosing weight are far more popular and generate larger ratings. There was an article written in TV Guide by Matt Roush shortly after the cencellation of Farscape which explained the point exactly, programmes which have a lot of thought put into them and programmes that are basically good are shunned in favour of shows that appeal to the masses (okay, so it's a little out of context but the message is the same) It's the same with the BBC over here. Now they are a publicly funded organisation and have a mandate to provide programming that will appeal to EVERYONE that watches the channels, however recently they have been focusing on soap operas and "reality TV" (although how they can call it reality TV is beyond me because as soon as the people are on TV they act differently) Okay, so they're making Doctor Who again now (which is bloody good by the way) but thats taken them nearly 15 years.

Oh dear, I do seem to have ranted a bit. Carry on ;)

W-Eyed-Wanderer
May 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah the new Doctor Who is way better than the old one...thanks to Russell T Davies and Christopher Ecclestone.

Anyway back on topic...Futurama is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen...cartoon or not! How could they possibly justify cancelling it when they just keep throwing out episodes of The Simpsons left, right and centre?

It was always a bit more 'adult' than The Simpsons...maybe that's the problem, the snotty little kids didn't get the jokes so they stopped watching it...

"Save me! And yourself I guess...and my banjo....and Fry..."

R.I.P. Futurama! :D

Simba '04
May 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I want that show to come back on!!!! I have all 4 of the dvd sets, FUTURAMA is my most favorite cartoon show :idiot:

unregistered user
May 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Originally, CN wanted production rights on Family Guy. Instead, they got syndication rights; because of decisions made by Alex Borstein & Seth MacFarlane. Both -- Family Guy & Futurama DVD sells are phenomenal.

The main problem with FOX, putting Futurama back in reproduction is - it's very costly...

Alli
May 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, i couldn't believe Fox took futurama off. It rocked. And i bet they regret it now. But i still watch it one CN.

Shoukai
May 21st, 2005, 05:52 AM
Wasn't The voice actor for Bender Joe DeMaggio? O_o, I remember reading a game article saying that The voice actor for Bender, also did the voicing for Wakka and Khimari from final fantasyX.

unregistered user
January 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
|^| That's John DiMaggio, not Joe. :p

Let's not forget to sign the following below:

http://www.petitiononline.com/safu/petition.html = )

Oh, and here's some "Bender quotes..."

"Bite my glorious golden @$$!"
"Bite my red hot glowing @$$!"
"Bite my colossal metal @$$!"
"Bite my splintery wooden @$$!"
"Lick my frozen metal @$$!"

:evilgrin:

Azerane
January 5th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Futurama rocks! It's funnier than the simpsons, though the simpsons does have it's moments. I'm actually lucky as just recently we started to get Family Guy AND Futurama on tv here and we've never had them before, we had Futurama when it first came out but that was it.

Kimberley
January 13th, 2006, 02:49 AM
what? Futurama is canceled? :eek:

Do you mean forever or jsut oin certain channels? They are making new episodes right? It's not liek the show was exactly bombing...

Nephilim
January 13th, 2006, 09:39 PM
*ahem* The series ended. Years ago, actually.

Hickoro Lioness
January 15th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Oh my god! I LOVE Futurama. Bender is the funniest. :lol:

Stormfury
June 25th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Comedy Central will air Futurama in 2008! =D

By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Futurama" has a future.

Comedy Central has resurrected the former Fox animated series from "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. At least 13 new episodes will be produced -- the first since the series' original run from 1999-2003.

The new batch is part of a deal the cable network made with 20th Century Fox Television last year to pick up syndicated rights to the existing "Futurama" library of 72 episodes. Comedy Central also had an option to air any new episodes produced.

New and old episodes will begin airing in 2008 on Comedy Central. Actors Billy West, Katey Sagal and John DiMaggio have agreed to return as voices for "Futurama."

"We are thrilled that Matt Groening and 20th Century Fox Television have decided to produce new episodes of 'Futurama' and that Comedy Central will be the first to air them," said David Bernath, senior vice president for programming at the network.

"There is a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience, and it is great that we can offer them not just the existing library but something they've never seen as well."

"Futurama" isn't the first series to return to air after cancellation. The Fox animated series "Family Guy" returned to the network last year after getting a second wind on DVD and late-night cable.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

? Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

^_^'

Simba_2004
June 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM
What smells like blue?

Stormfury
June 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Simba_2004
What smells like blue?

3ACV19-S04E01: "Roswell that Ends Well." A Fry quote.

~I'm g00d! :D

Kapasa
July 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Dancing space potatoes?

You bet!

yay for futurama retuning, I thinks they should make a film

Kiara Serengeti
July 28th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Sonkakee
Billy West, Katey Sagal, & John DiMaggio. Modern-day 3 stooged voice-over eccentrics. The divinity of these estrange characters gave the new meaning of "comedic geniuses."

Futurama is one of the funniest cartoons around; next to Family Guy, these two are always in comparison.

Unfortunately, FOX & Matt Groening; likes to cancel great shows, and put on crappy ones. (I'm still blaming, Matt! XD -- David X. Cohen, is a great executive producer, he tried, he tried...)

Thoughts, anyone?

I know! Futurama is soo cool! Really funny--usually not 'slapstick funny' but real funny. I like the older 'Simpsons' better but Futurama is waaaay better than the past 5 or so seasons. Why the hell don't they cancel 'Simpsons' and put Futurama back on??? :grrr: Okay, I know why they won't cancel it...they are ending it around the 'Simpsons' movie slated for 2008. I've lost faith in Matt Groening, he's lost touch with 'The Simpsons'. Which is just AWFUL now except for the rare gem. And even the gems don't compare to gems of older seasons. There's even a 'Futurama' reference in 'The Simpsons' in the episode where Mr. Burns is buried under the rock but lives, and takes over the media to try and clean his image after people celebrate after his supposed death. Anyway, the pimple-faced teenager (cameo character throughout the series) jumps off a cliff yelling, "why did they cancel 'Futuramaaaaa!!!" lol :D (he doesn't die, but lands in a car where a girl and boy are making out, kills the bf, and the girl demands he make out w\ her really well...rotfl).

Ahem.
Anyway, now that I've gotten my dissapointment in 'Simpsons' over...yeah, that show is GREAT. I've only seen a few episodes (long story), but one of my fave quotes is where that Jamaican guy gives his son a penny.

"Invest it in whatever way you want"
"Thanks, Dad! I'm gonna buy 5 shares of Amazon.com"
"A risktaker, eh?"

LOL
=D

ADDS: just read about the new episodes! YES! =D

Stormfury
October 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM
[ http://www.speedbumpstudios.com/futurama/ .] !! ^_^'

This fan-based promo is great! :cheese: :D

Hakuna Matata
November 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I grew up watching Futurama and I do love it. It's nothing compared to The Simpsons, but it's an amazingly intelligent show. Professor Farnsworth seems to be the only character that has managed to make me laugh out loud, but this show still is funny.

Lucy Lioness
December 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Has anyone else seen Bender's Big Score? What did you think of it?

I got really confused (but some people around here know that happens to me quite a lot, haha) but I liked it.

And Fry is utterly adorable. :D

Elly
December 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
^ YES, yes, and yes!

:lol: I think they outdone themselves in plot-twisting.

Everyone gets scammed. Really good to start things off.

However, the humour was a bit shallow though. Probably because of the repositioning of writers...

Anyway... "I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen." - Bender

I gives it 4.5/5.